1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Alert Preferences

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Dave, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Dave

Dave Moped

I've been trying to change my alert preferences so i don't get emails and alert notifications regarding posts i have made.

I change it all not to send alerts and save, then when going back they are all ticked again.

Is it me or a post number related thing?

(probably me)

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Sounds silly but you *are* clicking the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the page?

3. Dave

Dave Moped

Yep

several times.

Did say it was probably me

4. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I never have emails, I disabled everything . but cant find how I done it, for all threads and post s ??

5. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

hmmm I lie .......... I couldnt find how to do it (on here either) -so set a *task/option* in my email folder and all sec emails (100's of them I have just noticed) - go into my delete folder .. which I have just emptied ....

6. Roadwart

OK. hover your mouse over your username at the top right of the screen & choose "Alert Preferences" from the drop down box. At the new screen, untick the ones you don`t want alerts for, scroll to the bottom of the screen & click on save.

If this still doesn`t work, log out of the site & then clear your browsers cache *&* temporary internet folders. Log back in & then try again & let me know how you get on.

7. Dave

Dave Moped

Had a go on the laptop, using both Opera and IE.

Everything stays ticked.

I'm sure it's me, I'm cursed.

8. Roadwart

OK, have a go now bud

9. Dave

Dave Moped

Just tried in both again, but no luck.

It's not a major hassle, just getting inside my head as to why it's not working (It's the IT problem solving part of my brain getting me going)

10. Roadwart

OK, leave it with me & I`ll see if I can solve it mate.

11. Roadwart

Dave, if you change & save them but DON`T go back in to check them, do you still get the alerts or do they stop?

12. Dave

Dave Moped

all unticked and saved, haven't gone back in to look so we can check that out.

suppose atleast this is putting my post count up :)

GixxerGilly likes this.
  13. Roadwart

OK< I`m trying to determine if its not working at all or is just resetting when you go back in as it all looks ok in the database.

14. Dave

Dave Moped

Went to bed after Celeb Juice so have only just come back on. Haven't been back into the preferences and i got the alerts.

Will see what happens at work, using Firefox and IE 8 here.

EDIT: Just tried it and going back in doesn't change the ticks.

Had a look around and found the option of getting emails when someone replies to a post. Taking the tick out of this and then saving that page makes that choice stick.

It's in preferences Gilly.

I can live with the alerts showing when i log in if there's no fault found <- one of our favorites here where i work :)

15. Roadwart

OK Dave. I`ll dig a bit deeper mate.

16. Roadwart

Just made a small change to the system as suggested by the guys who wrote the forum software. Wanna give it a go & see if it works now?

17. Dave

Dave Moped

Still staying there. I have noticed that when changing preferences it refreshes the page after saving whereas alert preferences drops a banner down from the top saying settings have been saved and the page doesn't appear to refresh.

18. Roadwart

Just checked here & I am getting the drop down "Your preferences have been saved" banner here. Curiouser & curiouser.

19. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

I had the same problem a while back, "unticked it all" still got emails, kept unticking and saving (lots of times) but still got emails, then I tried again and its been fine ever since , NO idea what I did differently [​IMG]

20. Roadwart

It seems to be a problem that`s not confined to just us. Other sites are also experiencing this. I`m hoping the new upgrade (when available) will rectify it.