1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

What size numberplate?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Hanna, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

In lieu of actually having my BumbleBeemer aka The Pretty One I'm constructing my shopping list of bits and pieces for it.

One thing I'm keen on is this undertail, but I'm concerned about the numberplate and what size I'll be able to fit under it whilst still not drawing too much attention from Mr Plod. :cop: I've asked the supplier for the size of the plate on there so I can get some idea of comparison but in the meantime thought I'd on here for wider opinion.

Oh, and to combat the small indicators I'm intending to get an integrated tail light/indicator thingy so I have two sets at the rear.

[​IMG]

2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

The indicators will be LED so dead bright anyway, wouldn't worry about that. The intergrated tail would be more confusing that anything I'd imagine, given how narrow the light is. There's also a minimum distance indicators have to be apart (legally speaking).

Number plate size, there is of course only 1 legal size and it won't ever fit on there :p
    By estimation a 7x5.5" should fit on there without too much risk of anything getting burnt, you should be able to run an almost legal sized font too. The other option is to mount it further rearwards, towards the light which would afford you more space.

On the plod front, if it's not totally legal then you'll always run the risk. But your riding will be a greater factor in how they deal with you from experience. Or don't get caught :D

3. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Both my bikes have 5X7 inch plates, which have to be bought from tinternet. Only time ive been tugged was when i had a black n silver (same size) on the 07 Harley.

I think the supplier will be obliged to sell you the 18 x 18'' inch legal standard size Personally if i can get away with a smaller plate i will. Its still easily visible but looks so much better.. £60 fine though.. :think1:

4. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

I'd like to fit a 5x7 ideally... had that on the Stripler. Didn't realise there was a minimum distance for the indicators so that's good to know, thank you.

Supplier has just come back saying it's a 5x7 plate. Hmmmm... doesn't look like it! Either way, I'm feeling more comfortable about the undertail - will be saving £100 and getting an unpainted one and doing it myself, along with the rear hugger they do (which is also an extra £100 to have painted)!

5. Les

Les British Superbike +

Now that's a nice arse.;) Lagunas will make you a slightly smaller (show) plate which looks good & although illegal, doesn't attract much attention from plod as Dave says, we have one on each of the enduro bikes. You don't need any documentation either as they're not meant for the road & they make it while you wait for about a tenner.

6. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

24cm i believe for distance between rear indicators. not sure how that would affect your rear light mod if you're still keeping the oem ones as tech you have one set at the correct distance....

7. rhanmore

rhanmore Moped +

Ohhh agree that is a very sexy rear end. Love the rear lights on the BMW anyway but that undertray negates the need for a separate mount, nice!!! I have a 7x5 and like the others have stated anything other than legal size is a "you takes your chances and pays the price" but I have been pulled many times and only once has it been mentioned but never fined. Plus I was pulled for wheeling twice and they weren't interested in the size of the number plate then :))

8. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Hanna - you're a girl. In my experience with the Plod, that means that (barring a roadside telling-off) you'll get away with pretty much anything. That's why I've taken to wearing make-up and a wig when I ride. It also helps if you go all giggly and flirty when you meet the big fancy 'Occifer' .

Sporty1200, rhanmore and Les like this.
  9. gixerpaulk5

gixerpaulk5 Off Roader +

7x5 all the way , good compromise on size

10. Steve B

Steve B Street Fighter +

300mm minimum for the indicators. Quoting the copper who nicked my brother fot it!!!

11. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

You've heard about my [relatively] recent encounter with Mr Plod then? ;)

12. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

Mine is a standard size plate but its been made smaller so the letters/numbers are still the right size but the overall look is neater.

13. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I think my plate is 8x5, kept the digits on two rows as it reads better :D than one single, smaller row. :thumbsup:

14. RetryRider

RetryRider Commuter 500 +

Don't think there is:

"The precise position and angle of visibility of direction indicators are not part of this inspection, but they must be on each side of the longitudinal axis of a solo machine. If a side car is attached, the indicators must be on opposite sides of the combination."

Source: http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/c...nualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm