1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Advice please!

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Finchy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Ok, so as some of you may know, I'm in the process of tarting up the bike. Whilst I've settled on getting the wheels powder coated in gloss black and painting the panels in Pageant Blue, I've been thinking of finishing the tail, belly pan & front mudguard (sides only) in a different colour.

In doing so, there are two options that I'd appreciate some advice on. Should I;
    • Paint it all in gloss black (finished in high gloss lacquer to match the rest)
    OR
    • Vinyl wrap all of the same in black carbon-fibre finish
    Sorry about the crappy pic, but it gives an idea. Whaddya reckon?

P9052441 black wheels pageant blue black tail belly compressed.jpg

2. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Black:thumbsup: looks a bit naff if its not actual proper carbon:D

3. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I've also never been a massive fan of carbon, but thought about getting some kind of vinyl wrap to make things more interesting. Hmmm decisions, decisions.

4. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

Black

5. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

Black high gloss.

6. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

You could carbon wrap the mudguard, but high gloss the other bits.

7. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

stop faffing about, spray it matt black all over and ride it!

_Yappa_ and kitten_art like this.
  8. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

Why carbon wrap it? Get the real thing instead?

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Satin, matt and gloss black. Lose the blue. Stealthy.

10. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Nope - I'm keeping the blue as I can't be arsed to go through the hassle of changing the details at DVLA (it says 'blue' on the log book / tax disc). I also want to be able to return the bike to standard by popping the original panels back on when I get rid of it, primarily beacause resprayed bikes have such low residual values (hence sourcing replacement panels to paint instead of fowling the OEM ones). Plus blue is my fave colour :).

Thanks for the advice guys - gloss black it is.

11. phil

phil Moped +

Hows about putting just a touch of the Blue on the Black to lighten it up a bit ?

Finchy likes this.
  12. Les

Les British Superbike +

All Kwaks should be green.;)

13. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Does that exclude cruisers? :p

14. Les

Les British Superbike +

Of course, silly. They look better dark.:)

15. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

You look better, in the dark, Les ;)

16. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

HI

Forget the Rizla Blue shite, been done before and everyone and their dog has done it!

How about Corona colours? Silver, white and some black…..

Saw a Busa done this way a few yrs ago and it looked well cool.

Black, especially matt black is a shade ‘Rat’ orientated…..

If you go ‘Stealth’ then be careful with the black, done properly it can look good…..

Make sure you get your wheels etch primed before the powder coating, it adheres better and lasts longer…..

Just a thought......:thumbsup:

17. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Just checking......:D

pee ess.....who's silly....Wig boy ? :giggle:

18. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Hell no! I really can't stand most 'race rep' bikes (esp on a 'Busa). If it was Rizla blue, it'd have to be a Suzuki though, right? Also as I've said previously, I don't want to change the colour with DVLA, so it's staying blue. Apart from that, you're right about the Rizla blue being done to death a few years ago, but it doesn't seem to be a popular colour right now... and I've never seen a ZX9 in this blue.

Thanks for the heads-up about the powder coating. The company who are doing it are also shot-blasting the wheels before etching, so hopefully it'll all work out ok. If it looks crap, I can always pop the standard panels back on.

19. Gazza1

Gazza1 Guest

just a small word of advice on the powder coating make sure they have done bike wheels before because its quite easy to over bake them then the wheel bearings wont be a tight fit and they will just fall out

20. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I'm glad you posted here - I couldn't remember your name and wanted to mention that your bike is an exception to the 'race rep' comment! Anyway, yes they've done bike wheels. I'll mention it to them anyway - thanks.