1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Kent Biker injured abrorad

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by GixxerGilly, Jul 20, 2011.

1. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

2. deano

deano Commuter 500 +

it has been a weird day i got a email asking for donations for this, this morning he is the brother in law to my tools supplier whom runs invicta tools in canterbury he is in a bad way and if they dont move him to another hospital he wont make it there is support from a mp trying to help but with all these caes if its not there family its a slow process i sent over a few hundred quid its not alot but everyhting helps in these cases and he is a biker so that makes it more important for me if anyone can help call adrian at invicta tools in canterbury he is sorting it all out :cautious:

Yoda likes this.
  3. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

Whilst I have every sympathy for this chap and his family if I went blatting down a country lane naked with no lid and fell off, what would people call me. Travelling abroad, particularly south east asia, and riding a bike in said region, knowing the roads and driving skills shown as I do WITHOUT travel insurance is about as reckless as it gets.

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I`m afraid I have to agree Kevin. Its not a nice thing to have happen but for the sake of a few quid this wouldn`t be an issue. Travel insurance isn`t expensive, Sue & I have worldwide, multi-trip cover & its under a £100 for us both!

5. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

I do the Same just renew it every year mine even includes winter sports.. been with insure & go for 5 years now with this policy and pay £89.00 last year for both of us ..Bargin:)

6. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

i know he was silly for not sorting out an insurance, but this bloke is in a bad way, let's have a bit of sympathy

7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I`m not saying I don`t sympathise. No-one likes to see a fellow biker down but to pay all that money for the ticket there & not get travel ins... You get my drift.

8. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I sympathise with the guy -then think of my son out in Thailand - with NO insurance - come off his bike once and badly cut his foot and ankle and since found out he came off and smashed his face. luckily - he is left with just scarring. I hope one day I am not posting anything like this thread topic :cry2:

9. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

still think you are cold harted ( would put a smiley in here but i carn't)

10. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

How does riding a piece of shite abroad make this dick head a biker?? And what sort of twat goes abroad with no insurance, rides a bike that probably isnt to clever anyway and with no lid on, shitty roads with twats ring like twats everywhere with their family and the dog, (no not the wife, altho judging by some asian women.....and the lady boys) on board, what was he thinking or not thinking of........If it was one of us then we'd be this and that and so effin stupid, but some bloody idiot comes off in circumstances we dont know of, and we are meant to feel sorry for him....I feel sorry for his parents having to ponse to get the twat back here.
    Do you think he learned anything now he's back her and awake now??? I doubt it.........maybe this knocked some sense into him......MAYBE.....
    I agree with Roadwart altho i don't sympathise.....Fuck him!

11. HAYABUSADAVE

The title of this thread should be changed......

**NT BIKER INJURED ABROAD......leave Kent out of it......:rubhands:

12. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

tough crowd :unsure:

Wazza likes this.
  13. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Dave is well known for his reserved and quiet views :hah::haha:

HAYABUSADAVE and Roadwart like this.
  14. Wazza

Wazza ZX14R +

*Cringing whilst reading Dave's post* But you're all absolutely right, it's what we're thinking but not saying. No body wishes pain or suffering on a fellow human (mother-in-law not included!), whether they be a biker or not. However, £100,000 to get him home because he skimped out on <£100 for travel insurance... bad planning, very bad mistake. I wish him well and hope for a full recovery, but I hope the t?!t learnt his bl**dy lesson!!

GixxerGilly and HAYABUSADAVE like this.
  15. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

So did I...but that was because of the font he uses! :laugh:

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  16. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I think you will find that he DID have travel insurance, however he extended his stay and the Insurance lapsed and supposedly he didn't have enough money to extend the insurance...

That sounds like someone telling a porky. You have enough money to continue or extending a stay but not enough for £20-30 for extending your insurance or taking out another single trip insurance ?

I feel sorry for the parents really...

17. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I know that this is somewhat unrelated and slightly off topic, but it sort of fits in with this thread.

Many people (including solicitors and insurers) are not aware that if you suffer a serious injury abroad as a result of an accident and it is not your fault, then your claim can be handled back here in the UK by a UK solicitor, providing the losses are ongoing in the UK.

So as an example, if you are wiped out on the bike whilst abroad on holiday, and you cannot work or suffer any ongoing financial loss, then the case and jurisdiction can be transferred back to the UK so that the normal statutes of limitation apply rather than have to try and fight the case in a foreign land with their strange rules.

Until recently, it was accepted that injured riders would have to find a solicitor based in the country where the crash occured, but now at least it is made easier for the more seriously injured people to be able to sort it out back home rather than have to find someone who speaks English in a starnge city, and many who will require money up front before they even look at it.

A chap we are helping had a crash in Switzerland through no fault of his own, suffered a brain injury, but solicitors there want two thousand euros just to assess the case, as if he hasn't got enough problems as it is.

Another case has just been transferred from Hong Kong.

Anyway, sorry for the slight detour, but thought you may be interested.

GixxerGilly likes this.
  18. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Its the way insurance works, I had this problem before when I was in Australia and extended my stay but no foreign travel insurers would insure me and UK based ones would only allow me to purchase insurance when I was based in the UK at the time of purchase so eventually I just did it online in the hope that it would be ok.

19. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Ah TC, you are a fount of knowledge for all things legal now could you go extrapolate on our Section 59 thread :D

20. HAYABUSADAVE

Extended stay without insurance....had the money but didn't have the money.......still a twat.....
    Still feel really sorry for his parents to have the responsibility to get him back here while he obviously didn't give a toss while dossing in the sun and giving young slopes a good seeing to....
    Hope he's had an aids test.......:bhead: Got his head back into gear and now riddled with the clap......

Cheers Tom.......Hello..... lol (: