1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

BATTERY - Using an Oxford - Oximizer 900.

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Sporty1200, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Was looking forward to a blat on the sportster earlier today, (tax runs out this month and it will have to remain off the road), but.. Flat battery :(.. Aarrghh. :thumbsdown:
    I regularly plug in the Optomizer and leave it charging until it displays ''Maintain'' and i soon then unplug it. :confused:

Q. When it displays '''Maintain'', am i supposed to leave it connected, if so for how long? In my mind if its fully charged, which i am assuming it is when it displays ''maintain'', if its left connected its just wasting lecky.. :dunce:

2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Assuming you're using an Optimate, the maintain setting does 2 things; 1 - watches your battery to see what it gets up too when you're not looking and should it do something sneaky like drop below it's maximum charge the it will do 2 - switch on and start charging it up to full.

The draw having it plugged in and on maintain is tiny, but how long was it between unplugging it and it going flat? A battery shouldn't discharge without a drain on it, like an alarm or simiar. If you battery has gone flat in less than 3 weeks or so then you may have a bad earth / battery.

If it's a bad earth then the Optimate will keep the battery draining flat over long periods if it's a naff battery you'll find out next time you're on a long ride :p (Although some higher model Optimates will tell you).

3. Les

Les British Superbike +

There's no harm in leaving it connected as, even when it says 'fully charged'. They usually stop charging before full anyway.

4. Sporty1200

Thanks Dave, its an Oxford ''Oximiser 900'' think the same as yours? Battery was a new 'genuine' HD battery bought 1.5 years ago, as you know the bike is well cared for so it shouldn't be knackered. When turned over, if it doesn't start (which it usually does, its very reliable) the battery seem's to struggle. I put that down to it being 2 x 600cc cylinders, lots of compression, it cant be bumped. Its been on charge now for over 3 hours ill try it again.

5. Sporty1200

Cheers Les, its just i'm thinking its a waste of lecky and as things are tight at present i dont like to keep it plugged in out of principle really. not trying to save the planet, just pennies, :D

6. Sporty1200

Still wont turn over for more than 3/4 attempts, and Oximiser display goes from ''maintain'' to showing ''Bulk Charge'' (which then displays 3 bars instead of a ''full'' 10 bars) after the engine is turned over a couple of times.
    Gonna leave it on overnight now, see if that helps. :unsure:

7. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Could be a battery issue. While it's storing a full charge if the cell has deteriated then it's CCA (cold cranking amps) would be effected. I would show fully charging but it's actual storage would be much lower, there's no way it should drop that fast.

It's a fairly common problem with OEM batteries, they issue lower ampage than really necissary often to save weight / money. The Striple had a similar issue only coming with a 9amp unit. Now have a 14.

If you want total balls out never fails to start battery power, check out this:
    http://www.tayna.co.uk/ODYSSEY-PC680-P3107.html
    For reference, bike batteries are normally abouyt 200 cca.

8. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

if its not a sealed battery check the electrolyte levels..

9. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

WARNING: THIS ADVICE MAY DAMAGE YOUR BATTERY, YOUR CHARGER AND SPOIL YOUR WHOLE DAY.

Thought I'd better put that first, since I'm one of those people who shouldn't be allowed to use electrical things. However, I understood the point of buying an Optimate rather than a simple battery charger was that it would charge, test, maintain at a level and then occasionally subject the battery to some discharging exercise, so 'shocking' the plates into cleaning themselves of any built-up sulphation. I'm told that this process enables the Optimate to recover a battery you thought was incapable of holding a charge. I suppose a battery which is too far gone is truly beyond recovery, but I believe they are designed to be left attached permanently (er, when you are not actually riding :)).

A man who lives opposite me has a collection of half a dozen assorted Suzukis and BMWs in his garage (all hooked up on Optimates) and a summerhouse in his garden (I kid you not) containing a mouthwatering collection of seven Ducatis - one BSB-spec machine, a Desmosedici and other used bikes with number designations beginning with 7, 8 or 9, all with interesting histories and all (at last - the point of this ramble) hooked up to a single Optimate with wires trailing across the floor to each one.

Does he ever ride them? Does he heck... I suppose I don't really know therefore if his Optimate octopus arrangement works, but my tongue was hanging out so far I didn't hear what he was saying about them. He may have said, "The bu&&ers never start" but I don't think so!

Could somebody who understands about electrickery please comment on this advice and endorse or negate accordingly? If I'm wrong, I'd better go down to the garage right away and unhook my bike and Kev could have got away with a plain 'ornery charger from 'alfords.

10. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Turmoil is sitting hooked up right now, and shall remain so until I take him out again. The Harley seems to be the only one that struggles to start if not used for awhile......and that has a new battery. Go figure. Striple has electric issues right now, so that is being designated the naughty corner.

11. Panel Man

Kev is good with people who have 'issues' and have been put in the naughty corner. Maybe with Striples too? ;)

Sporty1200 likes this.
  12. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Harley's, like Striples probably don't have a reduced compression starter so require more oomph to turn them over intially. Meaning if you have a wussy battery or a half dead one you might be out of luck.

PM, the basic Optimates do what I said they do at the start of the thread, you blind / lazy (delete as necissary) git! Some of the posher ones may or may not cycle the battery to make it sparkly inside.
    Unless your neighbour has a massive Optimate (all singing and dancing designed for multiple batteries, although not even sure they're designed for that many) then he's probably wasting his electricity, because as we all know if they're in parallell the Optimate won't see a drop until they're all half dead and if it's in series as soon as one drops the rest will get over charged, assuming that the massive load doesn't just bork the Optimate right off the bat.

Or something.

Sporty1200 likes this.
  13. Panel Man

I knew that.. :red::unsure::whistle:

kitten_art likes this.
  14. Sporty1200

Seems same as mine Sharron, usually very reliable. Guess it doesnt like not being used, even though it has a cosy spot in the lounge by the fire..:rolleyes: its quite a pampered bike (not in all ways, it gets a good thrashing occasionally), and this is how it repays me. Now where's my leafy Hazel branch to beat it with ala J. Cleese (while i stilll have python style comedy musings in my head).

deano81 likes this.
  15. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Damn you man! I had managed to swap Lumberjack for Judas Priest! :bhead:

Sporty1200 likes this.
  16. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

I'm lazy, when I get the chance!
    The reduced compression thingy does actually make sense :thumbsup:

17. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

If you think you might have a dodgy battery charger I have one you could borrow.

Sporty1200 likes this.
  18. Sporty1200

Thanks Russ, appreciate the offer, i think its ok. The battery shouldnt be knackered either, its only 1.5 years old. Its been on charge for a few hours (again) and it turns over a lot more positivley (HT leads are disconnected as its back in the house) ill take it out and try it tomorrow.

19. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I leave mine plugged in when it says 'Maintain'. Having said that, I really do need to get around to buying a new battery sometime :confused:.

20. Sporty1200

''It Lives'', again. At least i can go for a spin b4 the tax expires now. :whoo:

Prior to starting the bike, It seem when the optimate says ''maintain'' it is then best (for the Harley) for me to crank it over which it managed twice before the optimate then realised there is nowhere near enough power and immediatley displays this with 2bars instead of 10. I then let it charge up again over 24hours. Once the engine was turned over with some power....VRoooooooM :thumbsup:
    :chppr::MC::bike: