1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Someone recommend me a mechanic please?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by R1 Chickie, Feb 8, 2012.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I want one of those mythical ones that can service your bike on a Saturday, will lend you a bike to ride around on for the day and only charge £20 an hour.

2. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I heard that the Dalai Lama is pretty good with a spanner.

Dhan Rollioni likes this.
  3. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Some guy in Basildon, but he's a bit slow, moans a lot and gets stuck in the snow for no apparent reason???

hoppielimp and Les like this.
  4. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Im serious, Dave-not-on-Planet-Reality is adamant they exist, so want to know where they might be.

5. megawatt

If I may be serious. You are on a loser Tanya. You are an attractive, young lady on a big powerful bike. You are always gonna get ripped off!!! If you ever find someone recommended, get a knowledgeable ,male friend to take it for servicing and see what the charges are?
    I don't have this problem, yes Les for obvious reasons, and I do my own servicing. try it sometime??? I do know an old guy in Orpington that is very good with Fireblades and will loan you a CB500 or take you home in his car. Want his number?

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  6. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Take me home in his car.....Im sure my mother warned me about men like that :D And sweet of you to call me young but me and Young havent seen each other in about 10 years; boy I miss him. Please, send me the number, wont need it for a while yet but when the time comes. I do want to have a go with self servicing (ahem, not that kind) but I dont have the time, my weekends for months are booked up with flying.

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

i disagree if she finds someone good they have no need to rip you off. A good mechanic will be one you get on with. If every girl got ripped off for riding a bike they wouldn't ride. Anyone is open to beingripped off if you give your trust to anyone.

Top tip mark a few nuts with a marker and accidently leave a card from trading standards visable :thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup:they soon think its a string and do everything right :D

kitten_art likes this.
  8. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Yeah, I did have a fantastic mechanic for 10 years, Matt from Ducati Proteam but they upped sticks and moved a million miles away because of the expensive rents in London, never ripped me off and did little jobs for me for free. Since then, Ive not been able to find someone I trust fully but Nick has has had a lot of good recommendations and he is close by plus he did come past the first time my battery failed to check the current for me for me. Might stick with him for now and he is a fledgling business.

9. megawatt

Sorry Tanya, just had a chat with him and he said he prefers to work on Fireblades nowadays and wouldn't feel confident working on an injected R1 , even though he's worked on loads of injected Blades!!! I'm sure someone must be able to recommend someone in your area.

10. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

Changing the subject completely (but do have to agree with Tom that doesnt really matter what sex you are trust can be abused) but Tanya what do you fly? Or is that another term for smoking those Jamaican woodbines?

11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I'm pretty sure that on the thread about mechanics and their prices (which you may have started, I forget) there was more than a few listed in the £20-£30 mark.

If you wanted to do the service on a weekend then there's a whole bunch of guys on here that would be more than happy to get a bit oily with you for the sake of imparting the basic knowledge and letting you have a go yourself while being on hand in case you need assistance.

You'd have to learn to speak Alan of course and Les won't help if it looks like rain :D

deano81 likes this.
  12. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

No, you just keep waffling on about their hypothetical existence but you never actually give names and numbers. And I also dont think its fair to rely on people who are your mates to do your dirty work so I would rather pay someone and be guilt free so real mechanics please, not Alan or Les :)

13. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

A paraglider :)

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I did have a search for the thread but can't find it. Don't even remember if it started about mechanics prices or just ended up there, but after 10mins searching I figured you wouldn't want me doing your dirty work for you, so have a hunt I'm sure you'll find it :ner:

No one has said anything about relying on mates to do things for you, mates don't mind helping out - because they're mates. Least that's how it is with my mates. :hug:

Roadwart, kitten_art and megawatt like this.
  15. megawatt

I am hoping for early retirement later this year. I won't be too proud to accept cash for services rendered. Just because someone doesn't work in a motorbike shop or garage, doesn't mean they aren't a competent mechanic. I used to completely strip, service and rebuild my own and friends race engines and I am perfectly capable of servicing most modern motorcycles and will charge you for my time whilst imparting knowledge if you insist? Servicing a motorcycle is a very simple job, most people , including ladies , are capable of doing it. If you really want to make sure you don't get ripped off by a supposed trained mechanic, learn to do it yourself? :D

16. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Oi Megaface......what do you mean by,"including ladies"?!!! You may wish to take your foot out of your mouth now ;)
    (someone had to pick up on that).

17. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Did someone call for a shovel? ;)

kitten_art likes this.
  18. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

NO, I DID LOOK, YOU NEVER PUT THE INFORMATION UP, YOU ARE TALKING OUT YOUR ASS!

19. Finchy

Finchy Guest

20. megawatt

That was for "helpless" ladies Sharon, Some women think that they can't work on bikes purely because they are female, not something I subscribe to. Don't you start FFS:)

deano81 likes this.