1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Sheared bolt on Bandit exhaust....Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by HAYABUSADAVE, Feb 11, 2012.

1. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Hi

Took Exhaust off the 1200 to clean and one exhaust clamp bolt to the headers decided to snap....:mad:
    Have tried to drill out and remove with an easy out but the damn easy out decided to snap inside to.....not good! :mad:
    have only about 1/4 in to try to grab onto with mole grips but with so little space its a right sod to get to....mole grips to big....
    It is number 3 cyclinder stud /bolt I am trying to remove, even tried some heat and a small pair of grips with no luck....
    Anyone know of anything else that might work, tool wise that would get in their and get hold of whats left? :think2:
    Any ideas most welcome..... cheers.... :thumbsup:

2. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Not enough to grab hold of there Dave. Can I suggest gettingccylinder head bloody hot, freeze stud with plumbers freeze spray, then hit it hard with a 2lb hammer. Repeat three times , then cut a narrow slot across stud with a dremel and try to turn it?

3. Les

Les British Superbike +

Not really mate. I've also had an easy out snap so had to drill larger into it to get an even bigger one in. That worked for me, along with loadsa heat. Luck

4. OLDBANDYGIT

OLDBANDYGIT Learner

I'm with Megawatt, hot n cold, done one that way a while ago.
    I've got an old CBR 600 to do soon but the lumps coming out for that! Good luck mate.

5. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

WD40 overnight, then go the heat route. :thumbsup:

6. OLDBANDYGIT

OLDBANDYGIT Learner

Wouldn't go WD40, use a good penetrative spray. :)

7. HAYABUSADAVE

Cheers peeps,
    Been thinking the same way......good know we are on the same wavelength.....
    Plastered it in WD40 all week as there was 2 bolts that were the proverbials.....but came off all in one piece.....
    tried bit of heat earlier, no luck as yet, but will persist with the sodding thing!
    Appreciate all the responses....

Thanks all.... :thumbsup:

8. OLDBANDYGIT

OLDBANDYGIT Learner

Oh yea and when you finally sort it use copperslip or similar on the threads for reassembly. :thumbsup:.

9. HAYABUSADAVE

Yes, I must admit to giving it plenty of copperslip when reassembling......
    damn shame it wasn't done before, just didn't need the removal until now, bugger and sod it!!!
    Nice new real stainless bolts and washers me thinks.....
    All the other bikes and mainly this one, are plastered arse hole to breakfast time with the copper magic..... the exhaust bolts got away with it, until now!!!!!!!!!.:thumbsup:

10. megawatt

Not many people use the freeze spray, but a thermal shock really helps!

11. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

a dremmel with a fine bit to drill out the center if all else fails

12. HAYABUSADAVE

Def bear that in mind, cheers Al. :thumbsup:

13. HAYABUSADAVE

Might be the way to go....Cheers :thumbsup:

14. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Problem with snapped easy-outs is that they're hard as hell. I have a couple of hard-cut drills that will go through easy-outs and snapped taps etc. Have you not got enough space for a stud extractor?

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  15. HAYABUSADAVE

You are so right there!!!! bloody easy outs!!
    Might have to call on you later if I can't get the dam bit out.....Have ordered an external grip type grab extractor thingy so hoping that might shift it......
    fingers crossed!!
    If not, might I give you a call....... :thumbsup:

16. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

No problem. Might be able to help you out, you never know!!

17. HAYABUSADAVE

Where did you get the hard cut drills? that's my only last chance I think as ive tried everything else with no luck whatsoever.....
    Needs something shit hot to drill through the easy out and right into the snap bolt.....
    Done the WD40 bit all week long....:nah:
    Done the drill out bit.....:nah:
    Done the easy out bit which broke.....:nah:
    Done the heat bit.....:nah:
    Done the Small mole grips bit, cant get enough pruchase on broken stud, not enough room.....:nah:
    Done the try to tease it round with a metal chisel/punch bit.....:nah:
    Tried the drill again, with no luck as bits not good enough to bite through.....even with regular lubing with oil to help keep drill bit cool and sharp.....:nah:
    And now haven't much to get hold of although can't get a grip as its in an awkward place with not much room, got a stud extractor but its just a bit big or to small.....no go there to....:nah:
    Drilling..... the only way to go.....I'm hoping.......somehow.....:think2:

18. megawatt

So you didn't try the freeze spray ?:rolleyes:

19. HAYABUSADAVE

No mate, couldnt get my hands on any and the refrigeration engineer mate i know has buggered off back to france.....:(

20. megawatt

B&Q or Homebase or Screwfix mate Try to buy some Boron/steel drills very hard. Only other solution is a spark eroder, which will probably need the engine out. Can you post a piccy of it?