1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

I'm not a fan of Harleys, but...

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Finchy, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Just came across this sumptious machine in the new MAG magazine. Built by Charlie Stockwell, it's a gorgeous retro-modern twist (IMO). More details on his website;
    [​IMG]

deano81 likes this.
  2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

it's ok but i'd take a nightrod over it :D

3. Finchy

Finchy Guest

A nightrod? I don't know what that is but it sounds dubiously pervy, so you can keep it.

HAYABUSADAVE, Roadwart and Sporty1200 like this.
  4. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I do like Nightrods.

5. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I just Googled it. Hmmm. It's an 'off the peg' bike, right?

6. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Bit heavy for a peg mate, might go on a hydraulic lift?

Finchy likes this.
  7. Finchy

Finchy Guest

We like Harleys? Does this mean that we're officially old? Shit. Bollocks. I'll just say that it's a 'guilty pleasure'. Shhhhh don't tell anyone :whistle:.

HAYABUSADAVE likes this.
  8. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

Hardleys are an old farts bike....it is official. There are wayyyyyy too many of them around
    Now....a Victory......or an Indian........different story :D

HAYABUSADAVE and Roadwart like this.
  9. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Ah but that's why I like this one. It's obviously a special, but I like the way that they've added some modern bits and improved the geometry. I'd stand on a mountain top and tell the world that I'd never ride a standard Harley, but this bike's got 'something'. I've found myself developing a taste for these chunky-tired, long reach bikes... and have even started researching flat-trackers. Mind you, I've also started searching for grey hairs too... just in case.

HAYABUSADAVE and kitten_art like this.
  10. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

:eek: I think its true to say that ''old farts'' do tend to ride them. I'm not a huge fan of the brand myself but they do make some real nice ones. Not keen on the tassled, leather, bags and running boards etc etc, or the ethos crap, but the one in the pic looks real sweet. There all about catching the eye. If youve not ridden one Finchy i recommend trying a sportster out, they handle real well and arnt slowcoaches. Brakes are shite though, single front disc:thumbsdown:

Finchy likes this.
  11. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

You want me to buy you some Grecian 2000? :D

Finchy likes this.
  12. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I heard that Mega was going to buy a chromed ElectraGlide to go with his backless leather chaps.

HAYABUSADAVE and Les like this.
  13. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

The "baby" sportster is kerrrrrap, but I must admit....the 1200 wasnt too bad. I trust they have now added rubber engine mounts and sorted the problems in the wet.....it really was no fun giving it a handful in the rain and stuttering passed a car rather than rumbling passed! Bad design with the coils that. Mind you......lack of rubber engine mounts was rather errr.....fun on at least one occasion! ;)
    The Wideglide is heavy to tilt over round corners....no like!
    Plus side....with the right pipes....they dunnarf sound good........when they work.
    I hate to admit it, the one in your pic is rather awesome, but if I had the money that would cost, I would much rather buy a number of other bikes :ner:
    Sorry Sporty, I forgot, you got one sleeping in your front room haven't you....you are almost forgiven cos I like your sense of humour. :D

Sporty1200 likes this.
  14. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

You`ll like the bikes Chica Custom Cycles build.

15. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Agreed the 'old' ones had a poor reputation and the 883 is crap (but has twin front discs, WTF?). But from 2006 the new Sportsters were fuel injected with Evo engines which were rubber mounted. Mines really reliable, once ive fully charged the battery. Ground clearance when cornering can be an issue, but then its fun to have some bits scraping.... :D

kitten_art likes this.
  16. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

The V rod is not the most comfortable of bikes you know.

17. kitten_art

kitten_art Race Rep +

My Dragstar had virtually no ground clearance, had a few near misses getting used to that one :eek:..... couldn't even put the lift underneath it without a lot of persuasion. :(. But she did sound good!:giggle:

18. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

i am to young to know what they are :unsure:

kitten_art and Finchy like this.
  19. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Not bad, but how does the front suspension work as that brake line looks like it's a solid pipe and not flexi-hose...:confused:

20. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Hmmm so it is! You'd also have to be bloody careful getting off the thing after riding it so as not to burn your arse on the link pipe. But who cares? Surely most Harley riders are used to having a sore arse anyway (what with all that black leather and 'male bonding')? ;)

deano81 likes this.