1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Winter Storage / Winterising

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by RetryRider, Dec 5, 2012.

1. RetryRider

RetryRider Commuter 500 +

I know there will be the hardy among us who will continue riding regardless of the weather but was wondering who will be tucking up their Bike for the Winter before all the nasty Salt, Snow and Ice comes about?

If so what steps do you do to keep the Bike looking good for the next spring?

2. Les

Les British Superbike +

No longer needing to be a 'year rounder', I'll still ride on the occasional fine day in winter, so besides the usual stuff like psi, chain lube & all levels just ensure anti-freeze is up to it & spray all over with scot-oil after each use then leave a trickle charger running. If you intend no use, you can drain the tank, carbs & all sorts of other stuff which someone more qualified will no doubt tell you.
    I used to 'winterise' a 2 str outboard motor with fogging oil which coats all the bearings/innards & also use a fuel additive to preserve that over winter. Always worked for me & fired up well in the spring.

3. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Sorry Les, I wouldn't drain the tank, I'd fill it to the brim. Stops the tank rusting if it's steel. A mate paid £60 to have his Blackbird cleaned and ACF50'd and he's still riding it! Good stuff ACF 50, as long as you avoid your brakes. Some people put the bike on stands and remove the battery to the warmth if you don't need it for the alarm. If you do, put it on a trickle charger.

4. RetryRider

RetryRider Commuter 500 +

Adding Fuel Stabilser to a full tank seems to be the way to go as well, heard good things about adding that.

5. megawatt

Don't need it, modern fuel doesn't go off like the 5 star that Les uses!

6. Finchy

Finchy Guest

I'm with Mega - ACF50 is brilliant and I use it often enough. In fact, any protector with PTFE will keep moisture and rust away. Paddock stands might be helpful if you're being especially fussy about long term storage. As the guys have already said, there's no real need to drain anything on modern bikes - just make sure that everything is clean and bone dry before you put it to bed.

Aside from a couple of small 'improvements' to my bike (when it'll likely be off duty for a week or so), it'll be getting exposed to the best that winter roads can throw at it.

7. megawatt

That's just so you can constantly clean it Jay.;)

Finchy likes this.
  8. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

If you leave it really dirty then it has a winter protective layer all ready on it :)

9. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Taken straight from 'The Book of Tom', eh BH.

10. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

Mine is smothered in acf 50 and it sits on a paddock stand. Start her up every now and again and let it run for a while and then turn her off.

11. megawatt

I have heard from others that winter store, you shouldn't start bike up! It just produces condensation inside the engine and exhaust that you don't get rid of. Just leave it cold, possibly bung the exhaust up with a dry rag or tissue if your shed/garage is a bit damp?

Finchy likes this.
  12. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

I thought you had to turn it over otherwise parts of the engine cease up? I'll admit I'm only guessing !

13. megawatt

Don,t think so mate. Only what I,ve been told by other experienced winterisers. Never done it myself.

14. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

Fill tank to brim, add a cap of Meths to remove any moisture in the fuel.
    Remove battery,
    Deflate tyres by a few PSI.
    Spray over with some ACF50.
    Dream of Summer!

15. megawatt

Dunno how the meths works Tony? I expect you keep a stock?

16. Tony

Hi Alan
    It was in MCN a couple of years ago, they said it removed any moisture from the fuel, thought it sounded feasible, done it for the past 2 years, bike started very well after winter, so continued to use it.

17. megawatt

Goes well with Strongbow!

Tony likes this.
  18. Tony

Quick google search, and found this....

Other Motorcycle: Blue08 Tiger1050 - trade
    Extra Motorcycle: White07 SpdTple - crashed
    Quote:
    On 2007-04-25 17:20, Lambo wrote:
    Hi stbadge,

A trick/cure to avoid water accumulating in the bottom of the tank whether from contamination from fuel service stations,rain or washing your bike is to add approx.20ml of methylated spirits (cap full) for every 1-2 fill-ups,the ''metho'' simply evaporates any water.

Check the overflow drain hose is clear,blow air or pour some fuel down it,also on an extremely cold day a couple of swigs of metho. will give you another 100k's or so. :D :D

Regards, Lambo
    100% agree with the use of methylated spirits to remove water from the tank. Is cheap and works because a) metho and water do mix (unlike petrol and water) and b) metho burns in the engine, where the water turns back to steam and is let out the exhaust.

All nice and simple and safe :)
    Good luck
    Russ
    My Sprint Page

19. megawatt

Marvelous! and you get to do summat useful with the rest of the half litre that you had to buy!!!

Tony likes this.
  20. megawatt