1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Winter Storage / Winterising

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by RetryRider, Dec 5, 2012.

1. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Maybe I have just been lucky but I have never "wintered" the R6 in the past 10 years, including when I was away for 8 months at one point. It has always started just fine amazingly! And run perfectly well.
    However, with regard to the 400 track bike, I have taken it under advice from a number of 400 racers to indeed drain the tank. I've been told to turn off petrol tap and run engine till it runs out of fuel. This is supposed to prevent the floats from sticking which, as I found out on Saturday, doesn't half cause stress when bike suddenly starts pouring fuel all over the garage floor when you start it up!! I have emptied rad and replaced it with plenty of anti-freeze in it after I remembered, luckily not too late, that racers don't put coolant in the rads lol!
    I must admit though, I did tuck the bike up under a duvet for a while :giggle: (is that really sad??)

megawatt likes this.
  2. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

I best get me some meths then !

3. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

Everything is done. I'm acf'd up, tyres deflated, tank brimmed, myths added, just ordering a trickle charger !

4. Finchy

Finchy Guest

'Myths' added? A pinch of fairy dust and half a pound of Unicorn?

5. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

Mine lives outdoors - I live in a terraced house. Have washed it, ACF50'd the vulnerable bits and filled it with fuel. Fingers crossed she'll have no problems but it won't be unused all winter, I remember this Jan/Feb was very good weather-wise so might be out on it again in the next 8-10 weeks unless these predictions of an apocalyptic winter turn out to be true

6. alexs

alexs World Superbike +

I'll ACF50 my own 'vulnerable bits' and carry on riding throught the winter anytime I can. ;)

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

well i just went and brought some of this magic spray you all called ACF50 so if it doesn't work then i'm burning you all at the stake for being crap at your witchcraft :D

8. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

It's no use to you Tom, you have to CLEAN yer bike before you apply it!!!:eek:

9. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

What trickle charger do you lot use? I'm not sure what one I need and how much money I should part with

10. Garya

Garya World Superbike +

optimate

11. Les

Les British Superbike +

Yup, Optimate for about £50 I think & if you also get the Optimate lead that stays connected to the batt, it makes plugging in far easier. Saves taking the seat etc off each time.

12. megawatt

Optimate;)mate

13. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Optimate and if you have a Canbus system then Optimate IV

14. RetryRider

RetryRider Commuter 500 +

I've read elsewhere to make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure as it helps them keep their shape when sitting around. Think I'm going to move the wheels around once a week as well to save them getting flat spots. As I can't find a stand recommended for outdoor long term storage (Paddock stands) are for maintenance only apparently (according to Oxford and BikeTek anyway) I'll probably put the wheels on some wooden boards to protect them from damp/frozen ground.

The handbook says to add fuel stabiliser if stored for more than 3 months, so it can't hurt to add it.

Already got the ACF50 so that'll be getting slapped in a few places.

And the battery will be coming out and hooked up to an Optimate.

15. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Where do you live? I've got an old paddock stand that you can have for free if it helps? Just come and get it (I've got a few of them and this one's tatty but serviceable). Obviously your bike will need to be off the road, in your garden or similar.

I'd also advise keeping air in your tyres (with a few less PSI) as tyres do indeed deform. I place partly inflated inner tubes in my spare (removed) off road tyres for the same reason.

If your bike is going to be outside, spend as much as you can afford on a DECENT cover for it. Failing that, ride it to mine and store it in my garage.

NAPA121 and megawatt like this.
  16. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

Wooden boards are a good idea as concrete leaches oil from rubber and can cause tyres to crack/perish/deteriorate

Optimate chargers were £15 at the NEC show by Sunday afternoon so could be worth having a look around the Excel show in Feb. A disconnected bike battery should have no trouble sitting around until then, as long as it's in good nick.

17. RetryRider

RetryRider Commuter 500 +

Mine is kept under an Oxford RainEx, seems to do a pretty good job over the whole year. Did look a the Bike Tents but they seem a bit overkill and still have the same risk of condensation.

Good Advice. Already got my Optimate :thumbsup:

18. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

lol my zxr400 has been laid up for the best part of 2 years....parked her up in the garage and have not touched her since ....probably going to drain the tank and add fresh fuel with fuel additive , full oil change, brake fluid change, drain and refill cooling clean off chain and check for siezed spots and if non just relube before taking her out and following a nice gentle warm up to get things moving again .................THRASH THE GRANNY OUT OF HER .......well not until the weather improves :rofl: then watch her self combust into a million shards of metal

edit:....for the bloody minded i will obviously get her re mot'd

lammyR6 likes this.
  19. megawatt

I would wd40 the cylinder bores and turn it over on the crank a few times before you spin it on the button.

20. Les

Les British Superbike +

I read somewhere that the current legal requirement for all motor fuel to contain 5/10% veg oil contributes significantly to its reduced life. Had a mate who kept a storage tank for his diesel a couple of years ago only to find the fuel was useless after a few months. When he dug further he found this was the reason & there are moves to add an even higher % to satisfy the 'greens'.