1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

A good reason for letting Porsche drivers go past you!

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by Panel Man, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

2. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

I do hope he shat himself when he locked it up on the brakes. What a spanner

_Yappa_ likes this.
  3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Yer i saw this too, and a whole bunch of comments saying what a tool he is. Which might be true he brought a porker rather than a nice itailian or bristish car :rolleyes: but besides not seeing the coppers and locking up when he did, i don't see anything wrong. He is not passing to closely, there's no on coming traffic, it's a straight road so if you remove the police from the area there wouldn't have been a problem :D When overtaking i prefer to do it as quickly as possible which might mean breaking the speed limit in certain countries :giggle:

Simply we need to ban police and speed cameras from being on roads where people might overtake :thumbsup: for safety reasons of course ;)

4. Amancalledrob

In some ways I agree with you, after all we both tend to treat the speed limits as 'guidelines' (except in 30 & 40 zones as they're usually for good reason) but my objections to what he did are

1. He's clearly driving with his ABS turned off even though he can't brake hard without locking the wheels - it's not a difficult skill to master and he nearly causes an accident in that video

2. Passing someone at such a high relative speed - especially a group who are clearly not yet fully trained on their bikes - is absolutely unnecessary

3. He got caught. I mean, come on.

5. BlackHornet

Getting caught was the downside.
    Passing someone should only be done as fast as possible. Time Exposed to Danger ( TED ) is reduced the quicker you can do so. Had he tired to pass the bikers one at a time the risk of spooking any of them would have been huge so taking the group in one go was the best way. The chances are that road is a 40 zone for no reason other than to raise cash. I mean the evidence is clear that it's a safe fast road, The police don't sit on roads where speeding is dangerous only where it's likely because the conditions allow it, thats why you never see a speed trap outside a school unless the school is close and why when it's pouring with rain their not out either. :mad: It's all about the :cash:. Remove the speed trap and he wouldn't have locked up, There wouldn't have nearly been an accident, he was clear of the bikes until he paniked and slammed on the brakes. Who hasn't braked the second you see a police car ? and then checked what speed you are doing, it's nearly the natural thing now to brake hard even if you already below the speed limit.

There was the case last year of a biker dieing in a similar thing, he saw the speed trap locked up came off and died :thumbsdown: Again on a big open fast road, one not known for accidents but well know for being a cash cow for police. :thumbsdown:

Russell likes this.
  6. Amancalledrob

You raise some good points there actually. These new 50 limits that are springing up make me effing mad, cash is the only reason for them

Pam and BlackHornet like this.
  7. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

It does amuse me how some/most can criticised but most would have done it them selves if they had the chance, maybe not quite as fast, but still would have done the over take and clearly exceeded the speed limit by a large amount.
    As for 50 mph well actually I see some 30 mph for miles in areas that was once limitless, then 70 mph, and nothing has changed except volume of traffic. The times they speed check is when that volume is low and sunny to catch people who might be driving a little faster.

Also I like to add, groups who are not trained like that should not ride in such big groups that is an accident waiting to happen as well. and not be bunched up so you have to over take all in one go.

It is so often road laws, the ones who break the law do so at someone else's bad driving, I.E under taking, so often people under take because the persons in the outside lane should not be there, even if it is because the person in other lanes are in the wrong one. I too often from the far inside lane have to move 3 lanes to the right to over take someone, and move back to the inside straight away. it is actually safer to just stay in your lane and undertake, but I am the one that would be prosecuted.

Les likes this.
  8. Finchy

Finchy Guest

By the looks of it, I wouldn't say that the bikes are in one single group. There are four novice riders (orange tabbards) who appear to be under instruction by the the fifth rider on the Pan (yellow tabbard). It looks to me like the riders at the back have simply 'caught up' and haven't overtaken the learners due to the obvious Police presence. I mean, we all know that bikers have much better awareness and visibility! ;)

9. Zed550

Zed550 Twist N Go

I know this is an old post but I have just been reading through the posts on the forum.

The one thing that always makes me laugh is when people comment on the way that a speed limit or a camera 'is only there to make money'. No, the camera is there to enforce the law not to make money. The simplest way of making sure the 'cash cow' doesn't keep getting fed is to not break the speed limit. If you don't break the law you don't get punished, simple as really. If you can't stand the fine, don't do the crime. lol

deano81 likes this.
  10. BlackHornet

but i disagree, many speed limits have been changed recently with blanket areas being changed for no good reasons. Most limits were set years ago when cars and bikes still required you to put your feet down to stop a la flintstone style. The rest of the world seam to be increasing their limits with only us reducing ours and then adding cameras.

If the cameras where outside schools during school time then fine but the only time you see a camera van there is at a weekend when there are no kids about :rolleyes:
    so clearly not a safety measure but just a way to collect more funds.

The motorway system is classed as the safest road class we have yet they cover it in cameras :rolleyes:.

How many places are there where a camera is at the bottom of a big hill or just out of town? yet none are placed in town centres.

MaDProFF likes this.
  11. MaDProFF

I disagree Zed550 as well
    Main reason for this recent change of blanket lower speed limit are cyclists, too often now we have over the top speed limits that are 24hr in places not needed.
    How often do you see Mobile Speed Camera out in the rain at rush hour when most people are driving like idiots, no they are out in sunny days just after the 9-00 clock school runs when little traffic and dry roads and people maybe going a little faster to guarantee a conviction.

deano81 likes this.
  12. Zed550

Zed550 Twist N Go

I agree with you about the blanket speed limits and cameras not being in places like where the school run is. But that wasn't the point I was making. The point I was making was that if people DON'T break the law then they don't have a fine to pay and then the funds aren't there, simple as.
    Black Hornet, the reason that cameras are placed where they are is not because some bright spark decided to put it there, it is because at that point on the road there has been a fatal accident of some sort. This is the only way that the council can actually put up a camera where they can. I don't agree with them as I have seen so many times on the sea front in Hastings, where there is a camera, people slow down to go past it then speed up once they are past the camera.
    I am as guilty as the next person for breaking the speed limit when out in the country and in a national speed limit area, but round town in the 30's and 40's areas I will stick to the limit. That extra 5mph+ over the limit in a built up area is not worth 3pts, a fine and an increase in my insurance policy.

13. BlackHornet

Nope there doesn't need to be a fatal accident just 3 accidents or one fatal but i think its within 3 miles. They have used people jumping from bridges as a reason to place cameras at certain points.

How many can you name that are at accident black spots ? hardly any most are put on fairly open roads.

The propblem is when they blanket an area with a speed limit that is not really needed or suitable then everyone speeds.

Brighton was a prime example, they put in a blanket 20mph zone across the city and when they reveiwed it they found well over 80% where still over 30mph. making the exercise pointless

14. Zed550

Zed550 Twist N Go

I totally agree with you. I also think its daft that the speed limits are the same at 2am when there is no one about, surely they can have a rolling speed limit, like they do on the motorways for different times of the day. In this day and age where cars and bikes are more advanced with ABS and better braking systems than in the 60's and 70's when you braked and the car thought about it some speed limits are ridiculously low. I think that speed limits on areas outside of towns should be raised and on motorways as well, but I agree with the 30mph in towns and even the 20mph around places like schools.
    The problem is not the biker or car driver that breaks the limit by a few MPH its the dick-heads in big engined beamers or Audi's or the 'Schoolrun mums' in there 4x4's or the boy racers who think they can drive like Senna with no experience at all that cause the problems.

15. MaDProFF

Oh dear and I have an Audi Too :)

16. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

bah goddamn boy racer you.. bet you drive round the local housing estates blaring out drum and bass til the early hours ;)

17. Zed550

Zed550 Twist N Go

lol you aren't one of those 30 something business reps that has the company Audi are you? The ones that think they can drive one handed while the other hand holds the mobile phone to their ear arranging their next golf day? Had one of those the other day who thought it was fun to sit up the end of my tailpipe.

18. MaDProFF

I don't sit up peoples tail pipes, i just over take them :), no not 30, no not company rep one, no don't do golf, and mine has BT :)

19. Zed550

Zed550 Twist N Go

lol One of the better Audi drivers then. I do like the Audi's as cars go. Just don't like some of the dicks that drive them. Then again, the same can be said for most car drivers these days I think.

20. BlackHornet

An Audi, a white van and a BMW, Wears a hoody, sets off all the alarm bells really :lol2:

SteveeP and deano81 like this.