1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

ABS... good or bad?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Hanna, Aug 1, 2011.

?

ABS... good or bad?

1. Good

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Bad

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

What are the arguments for and against?

What would the difference be for say an average rider, who for arguments sake rides a 1000cc sports bike mainly for Sunday rides through countryside twisties?

Just curious...

2. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

I have rode Dawns Bike with the New Honda Combined ABS and it work Great im a Fan of this .....:)

3. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

never used it except in the car,,, if it stops a lock up, especially in the wet on a bike.. gotta be a good thing.... eh?

4. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

oh those weekend riders :phead: they need all the help they can get

Not like me that commutes and rides on the weekend we dont need any gizmos :scared:

and now over to you for the piss taking

5. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

hhmmm nope no gizmos on your bike

Sporty1200 likes this.
  6. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

No paint on some bits either from what I hear :hah:

Hanna likes this.
  7. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

I've only noticed the ABS kick in a couple of time, both when the front is sliding away, once on a manhole cover and again on loose gravel. It may be kicking in more often but I may not notice it?

8. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

It's a useful safety aid, not sure of it's application to biking if I'm honest but then i'm a purist so don't agree with making bikes 'easy' to ride. While I appreciate Guzzi's incidents and that the ABS saved the day, perhaps so would have observation of the loose ground / manhole covers.

It's personal preference, but If you choose to throw your leg over a 1000cc machine then good luck to you, but learn to ride it don't rely on technology to do the work for you.

ABS, traction control, throttle management, linked braking all remove the user from the experience and give a false sense of ability, on a motorbike that can have a lethal consequence as much as aid safety.

lost and Ducky like this.
  9. Kelvin Hopes

Kelvin Hopes Guest

Better on some bikes than others from what i have heard

10. Snowman

Snowman Learner

You might not get a choice soon if europe get there way as they want ABS on everything.

11. Kelvin Hopes

Kelvin Hopes Guest

Aprilia RS50 with ABS ... Haha maybe less teenagers will bloody crash the things... Mind you then i wouldn't have access to lots of parts for my bike :D

12. Snowman

Snowman Learner

Y
    you may laugh:hah:

13. Kelvin Hopes

Kelvin Hopes Guest

14. SlackPL

SlackPL Moped +

I give my voice for good, but personally if I would buy a new bike without additional facilitiessuch as ABS, TC, etc..
    But that's only because I like riding a pure (without large interference technology).
    There is another aspect: what happens when the driver presses the brake firmly and Abs for some reason stops working.:)

15. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

ABS is a safety measure, it's there on the occasion something beyond your control means you need to brake hard and fast, so if it means the difference between ploughing into a car door or stopping before then I'll take the ABS. :thumbsup:

Traction control is the same, it's there for the moment you didn't see that dirt in the road or perhaps that diesel on the roundabout...it might intrude on the pure feeling at a circuit perhaps (switch it off) but on the road you would have to be incredibly ham fisted or need balls of steel to trigger it, I've never seen mine trigger on a set of twisties yet! :sneaky:

GuzziRob and Skortchio like this.
  16. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

The ABS system is monitored constantly and not just when you brake, so any problems would flag the warning light up and then they would act like normal brakes without ABS. :)

GuzziRob likes this.
  17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Which illustrates my point perfectly. If you're capable of riding a high power machine without the need for driving assist in all but the most unlikely circumstances, then great!
    If you're not, then you need to consider dropping capacity until you can ride at a level where you don't rely on it. :thumbsup:

Ducky and GuzziRob like this.
  18. SlackPL

SlackPL Moped +

In summary ABS is very good on the bike.I think we all think the same way.:) And if someone likes it or not, is an individual matter:whistle:

19. Miky_G

Miky_G World Superbike +

I've got ABS on my cb1000r but I've never felt it kick in so either it's very unintrusive or its never been used.

20. Chef

Chef 125 +

Only downside I can see to ABS is that it can make you a bit lazy as a rider. If you rely on the ABS too much you are bound to lose a bit of feel for braking in general.

I did think the other day that if a basic system cuts in too early, i.e at a point before maximum braking was applied, you could also end up in the back of a car as the system would allow you to run on further than normal braking might.

I hear Honda's combined system is the best too.