1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Gonna build a Flying Mile bike

Discussion in 'Racing related' started by megawatt, Jan 15, 2013.

1. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Well, after watching the fantastic Bonneville programmes and having a 30 minute chat with PJ, of PJ and Dave GSX1100ET LSR bike fame( the guy with the furnace in his garage!), I am looking for a good condition/repairable, aircooled, pre 1990 engine and frame, preferably a GSX1100ET, but not essential.
    If anybody knows of a very cheap one or someone who will share costs and riding at Pendine, I will do the modding and fabbing .

2. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

That sounds exciting. What sort of budget are we talking about?

3. megawatt

Minimal mate, I am a pensioner you know. Picking up a rolling chassis tonight for not a lot. If I had another £300 I could buy a low mileage 1135 EFE engine with a broken exhaust stud hole. Pity I bought all that garage equipment last week or I would have had the cash for the engine!!!
    Concentrating on weight saving and eventually buying or blagging a stock engine. Not spending thousands on engine tuning, just a good bit of gas flowing and dialling the stock cams in. Pix of frame tomorrow.

4. Amancalledrob

I'd like to help, as long as I get to do something mechanical. Realistically I could probably spare a few hundred quid over the course of the year if that's enough

5. megawatt

That would be great mate. Any help from anybody much appreciated. Bike will be built mainly for Pendine at end of June but hope to do some shakedown 1/4 mile runs at Weston Zoyland, Somerset and Shakespeare County Raceway near Stratford on Avon. can you bell me when convenient?

6. Amancalledrob

Yep will give you a call tomorrow evening some time

7. megawatt

Good man.:) Will post pix of rolling chassis tomorrow.

8. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

Thought that said "Flying Bike" for a moment. Was prepared to be very impressed!:)

9. Amancalledrob

You mean like those ones out of old-skool Battlestar Galactica? We should totes do that

[​IMG]

Finchy and Roadwart like this.
  10. megawatt

Not long got back from a mate that offered me some GSX1100 parts. The Passat is full, got a choice of three frames and most of a rolling chassis. Just need to raise some cash for the EFE engine now??? Pix to follow tomorrow.

11. megawatt

Picked up a Passat full of stuff from Tony's unit last night;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Think I will go with the ET/ESD frame instead of the EFE frames. Threw a few parts on it for a laugh;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Les

Les British Superbike +

Ha ha.;)

13. Amancalledrob

Alan there's been a massive bike accident in your garden

kitten_art likes this.
  14. megawatt

On the drive mate, now behind the shed and in it. Been offered engine parts by PJ of Speed Dreams, the guy with a foundry in his garage. Just need to visit North London next month.

15. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

Are you sure he wasn't just trying to avoid paying someone to take his rubbish away? :)

16. megawatt

You obviously know a lot more about it than I do.

17. megawatt

Well things have progressed rapidly today. Been invited to a meeting of the Pendine Land Speed Racers club in Welwyn next Saturday. While there I have been invited by two guys to take my pick of their spare GSX1100 engine spares, including a 1260 big bore kit, a block and a gas flowed EFE cylinder head and cams. All I need to do is donate the GSXR400 USD forks and wheel that I was given on Wednesday!!!

Roadwart likes this.
  18. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

Seems like a really friendly, helpful scene!

19. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

it was then Alan joined :lol2:

be interesting to see what times get posted by his bike once built, i'd take the 1260 big bore fit superchargers and NOS :D should last a couple of runs before it blows up but thats why they have parasuits isn't it :rolleyes:

Might have to make a ride out to his first event :thumbsup:

20. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I know a few have been taking the pish a bit but I think its brilliant that Alan has got himself a little project to keep him busy. As Paul said, it does seem like they are a very helpful & accommodating bunch of people.

I, for 1, would def be up for going to Megas first run. Yes, we take the mickey, yes we make fun, but we also support our members where we can especially in things 2 wheels related. :thumbsup: