1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Helmet-cams.

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Barker, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Barker

Barker Learner

Interesting........ That needs some research too !!! Nothing's simple, is it! :)

2. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

To be honest if you ride like a loon I wouldn't bother with a camera but if you are like the normal 99% of riders then there is no problem. Just make sure you angle the camera to not include your speedo so that they cant tell your speed when you post the ride just in case.

Barker likes this.
  3. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Hmm interesting stat there Napa121, you think 99% of riders, ride normally, I.E never really break the Law? :)

_Yappa_ likes this.
  4. Finchy

Finchy Guest

If you post any videos 'publicly', even if the speedo isn't shown, the Police have been known to take proceedings based on timed measurements in between fixed distances. However, the CPS don't often follow this through. As a word of advice, if you post any footage online, restrict who can see it (add it is 'private' on YouTube so that people can only see the video when sent the link). Also only add footage to the 'members' section here ;).

5. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

I have to agree that videos should be marked "private" on places like YouTube. There are a couple of videos of me in Neil's library that I didn't even know were there! Good footage though Neil, and I wasn't riding like a "loon".

I think what Neil was trying to say was that riding, how shall we say, progressively does not necessarily mean you are riding outside the law, just as riding within the law does not necessarily mean you aren't riding like a "loon". An example is 30 limits. In some villages, like Goudhurst or Plaxtol, riding at 30mph is downright irresponsible.

I think it would be very hard to prove excess speed from a video alone as it can be speeded up and slowed down at will. You would need some calibrated reference like a clock or twat nav in the view.

I think!
    (rushes off to consult solicitor)

6. Les

Les British Superbike +

Only an opinion but I've not been inclined to have one of these, other than maybe to record roadside scenery or for track replays. Unless its for defensive/witness use on public roads, in which case I'd need to ride wholly legally which I errr...don't.:thumbsup:

kitten_art and Finchy like this.
  7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

oh the hours and hours of footage i record which will never make youtube :rolleyes: mostly because it's boring being stuck behind a car or worse still town riding.

8. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

Sorry I was quoting Aussie law not UK law. The footage doesn't even need to be posted here, just a camera mounted on one biker when out with a group!

9. Barker

Barker Learner

Even so, they'd only have a claim on the card, not the camera.... I'm mainly considering a helmet-cam so that (should I need to) I can show that it wasn't my fault. As (having been married twice now, it never is/was.....) :rolleyes:

JimBo, Roadwart, kitten_art and 4 others like this.
  10. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I had a little play with my GoPro the other day...YouTube doesn't seem to replicate what I can see on the computer...it was shot 960 and 25fps, might try 50fps...then the Protune enhancement...or maybe just 1080 at 25fps...and then also with the Protune enhancement...

Anyway just something to watch from a GoPro Silver...its my first play with iMovie... *just re-uploaded at 720p HD 25fps....also you have to set you tube to replay it at 720HD...

Barker likes this.
  11. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

You sure you did save it as a High def file? Can`t recall if you have to tell youtube its high def, I think it auto detected the ones I did at 1080 at SteveB`s BBQ last summer.

12. Finchy

Finchy Guest

G - I think there's something wrong with how you saved it as it seems to have stored some awful music file over the top. Just saying, in case you didn't know ;).

_Yappa_ likes this.
  13. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

nice music choice mavrick :D:thumbsup:

deano81 and Roadwart like this.
  14. hoppielimp

On second thoughts, I think I saved as small or medium to YouTube as it only took 4 mins to upload. I might re-upload it on a higher setting and see what happens...

15. hoppielimp

just re-uploaded at 720p HD, as I only recorded at 960, the 1080p was an option for uploading.

16. hoppielimp

:moon:

I feel the need....the need for speed :bike:

deano81 likes this.
  17. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

I've just bought a GoPro hero 3 silver edition which is the newest one out, has all the wifi, smaller camera and all the good stuff now normally this cost near £300 but i got this from a website for £215 i think! i couldnt belive it ( a too good to be true moment) also with it being from hong kong susupions were extreamly high so the reaserch began.. everything checked out, so i bought one and went through pay pal and it got here and yup.. its genuine and its amazing,, not had much chance to use it as ive been away a lot but from what i have its really good and i recommend it! ill post the link up here but its the same price as the older version when you get it in this country! mad i dont know how they do it and there is no import as it is marked as a gift so you dont have to pay that either! hope this helps..

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/gopro-hero3-silver-edition/MTAwMjE4OQ_A_A

MaDProFF and Barker like this.
  18. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Not trying to put anyone off but have a quick read of THIS webpage before using digitalrev. I know its only 1 persons experience so could be a 1 off but thougt its only fair I let you know.

19. MaDProFF

I have actually bought a lot of gear off digital Rev over the years, totaling a substantial amount of money over the years, only had one problem with a lens, and the one problem I did have, sent it back and they replaced the item, but they have saved me £1000's

Roadwart likes this.
  20. MaDProFF

Jack they do it, because they actually invoice the item for far less than it is worth, so no import duties, and I bet if you look at the sender address it is a jo bloggs name and address