1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tank Bag Tips

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by jack_bm, May 14, 2013.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Last time i put a tank bag on was on my ninja 250, pretty small tank compared to the gsxr so i put bunjees on it to secure it.. i know i know, fatal noobie error and it put a nice big scratch in the tank, now that bikes sold and im going to somerset on the weekend and im debating whether to use it again or not but i really dont want to scratch the tank any tips on how to avoid it?

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Never used a tank bag myself but I`m sure most ppl use felt or similar under them.

Finchy likes this.
  3. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Felt (or an old clean towel) works. If you're being super careful, wrap the top of the tank in cling film and then pop the towel / felt on top of that. You'll be surprised at how much a piece of fabric can make little scratches after some time (they trap particles of dust which then act as abrasives).

Oh and be REALLY careful not to spill any drops of petrol onto the towel / cling film as if left against your shiny paintwork, you'll find that it won't be shiny for long.

To be honest if you're riding solo, I'd be more inclined to strap the tank bag to your pillion seat with bungees. It saves a lot of hassle and you'll be free to tuck in behind the screen and give the throttle a proper twist (apparently... Officer :whistle:)

Panel Man, _Yappa_ and Roadwart like this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

yes put something under it. more so if its magnetic as they have a habbit of collecting fine metal particals which do mark the tanks up, i know as thats what i did to mine :thumbsdown:

5. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

anti slip matting from the 99p/pound shop.. works a treat. i bought a couple of rolls of it, and cut some out to match the tank bag/panniers.... protects the paintwork and also helps it stop shifting around.. and is nice and cheap too.. also wrapped some around the pillion seat on the ninja and works just as well as the expensive triboseat covers. :thumbsup:

GixxerGilly likes this.
  6. Roadwart

If thats the stuff that looks like rubber fishnet stockings then I can vouch for it. I wrapped the pillion seat on my dragstar in it to stop Sue sliding around when she was wearing her textile trousers. Not once did I get nutted on the back of the head when braking hard :thumbsup:

GixxerGilly, _Yappa_ and deano81 like this.
  7. deano81

lol thats the one matey..

GixxerGilly likes this.
  8. Finchy

Finchy Guest

Oi - don't knock the Triboseat covers! Mine keeps 'er indoors happy... which in turn keeps me happy and I don't have to pretend that the intercom isn't working.

deano81 likes this.
  9. Amancalledrob

Amancalledrob Street Fighter +

If you ever consider getting a new tankbag I can vouch for Givi Tanklock - a little black ring on your tank filler means it just clicks on and off, and doesn't actually touch the paint at all :)

10. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Don't want to state the obvious but buy a Bagster Tank cover and a Bagster tank bag, problem solved. :)

deano81 likes this.
  11. deano81

i like the bagster stuff but cant justify the cost... damn expensive, unless you get lucky and pick one up cheap on ebay etc..

12. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

It may have stopped her sliding around, but surely she was uncomfortable wearing rubber fishnet stockings?

jack_bm, deano81, Roadwart and 2 others like this.
  13. Finchy

Finchy Guest

[​IMG]
    See that? That's you that is. :D

Panel Man likes this.
  14. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Cheers for all the advice guys, im gunna have a little play n try and get it fitted onto the back seat as if that works i think that will be best.. really dont wanna end up scratching her..

GixxerGilly likes this.
  15. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

I use a magnetic tank bag on my GSXR and yes there are a few marks so the tips on putting a cloth down first are a good idea. It depends also on how much stuff you plan on taking and whether you will have a pillion. I have used paniers too which hold quite a bit, they jus strap over and under the rear seat.

16. Roadwart

If you use "throw over" type panniers, just make sure they don`t rub against your back wheel when they are fitted. Didn`t somewhere on here have that happen & leave a small trail behind them on the swiss trip? ;)

17. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Okay so had a play and it fitted fine on the back seat cowel.. untill i filled it and last miniute just chucked it in a bag.. going to try get some of those throw over pannies that have been mentioned as my bad nearly broke at the strap on the way back.. was just luck it didnt other than that somerset was great and had no problems with the bike :)

18. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

Keep an eye on websites like M&P as they sometimes do good deals on them. I thnk mine were something £50. I should have taken them up on an aoffer they advertised 6 months before because it was for the panniers, magnetic tank bag and a tail pack for £80!

19. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

woah thats a good deal, cheers for that will keep an eye out :)

20. Fergy

Fergy Secret prototype +

M and P are doing oxford panniers for £35 at the moment

jack_bm likes this.