1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Bike maintenance...

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by guy, Aug 7, 2011.

1. guy

guy Moped +

I've had my R1 from new and have always had it serviced by a Yamaha garage, but last winter, once I'd SORNed it, I decided to strip it down myself and give it a proper going over.:eek:
    I was fortunate enough to get a bike bench at a good price, which made life much easier, and saved my back!

[​IMG]

The confidence I built from doing this myself means I will now be doing all my own servicing, saving loads of £££, and will tackle most jobs (with my Haynes manual at arm's reach!), and I've been able to help others with their bike 'issues'.

So.... are you guys and gals mechanical gurus or mechanical numpties?

Ducky likes this.
  2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

if i can't hit it with a hammer then i can't fix it :p

3. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Never go near stealers. Do my own and anybody else's.

4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Numpty, definately.

@ Tom, you don't need too. Yours is self healing.

Ducky and BlackHornet like this.
  5. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I do as much as I can on my bikes, but some jobs (like say an engine rebuild) I would seek extra advice when doing. :)

6. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Im still learning with mine, but do the easy services, break pads, discs. :cool:

7. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

hmmm ...Numpty here methinks....if I really concentrate...I can ...Bolt on - Bolt off and then stare as I drop the washer down the drain...:cry:

Roadwart likes this.
  8. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

never been to a garage/main dealer in my life for repairs. cars and bikes all done by me :D

9. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Time and patience are the two things I am seriously lacking! But good to know that I can drop my bike round yours if I need anything doing :D

guy likes this.
  10. guy

guy Moped +

^^^ you wouldn't be the first, and I'm sure you won't be the last! ;)

11. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

I have noticed, since starting to attempt minor jobs, to be very wary of torque settings in Haynes manuals. Triumph owners manual has some very different figures to the Haynes manual :confused:which is slightly offputting at times. I reckon It's a trade off between looking at diagrams for assistance in the Haynes and taking the more technical info from the owners.

12. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Yep do all my own and others, unless its something really out of order and you need a genuine service tool that the dealer wont lend you.....Had to what with racing and the servicing of the engines and major rebuilds after blow ups....maintenance is so important! the amount of shitters I see about that are neglected is criminal......Even stupid things like chain maintenance and proper cleaning and lubing.....the most important part of ones bike apart from your engine oil and filter.........

13. ro06k5

ro06k5 Sport Tourer +

The only things I can't do is fit tyres. Everything else I will do myself. At least I know it's done!!

14. mousematt

mousematt Commuter 500 +

I try to have a go at simple things (on the car) ... but usually just end up snapping things off and loosing screws...:( I will be leaving the bike alone... I was actually thinking about getting the bike to a garage soon to have it checked over, maybe a service... Would anyone here be able to take a look for me?

15. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I can definately look at it. Might even turn a screw or two and throw a cloth at it if you ask nice. ;)
    Can even show you how (so i don't have to do it next time :p)

mousematt likes this.
  16. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Always available for bike fettling Matt, just ask and we'll sort out a day, followed by a blat around the Marsh.

mousematt likes this.
  17. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

yup same here if ya want a hand.. plus i have similar bike so done the usual bits .. service, chain sprockets, carb balance, stripped calipers, cursed over siezed fasteners then drilled them out... the usual ;)

mousematt likes this.