1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Fully syth oil.

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Dhan Rollioni, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

One of my bikes is an old 1991 Honda 600 Transalp. On a recent trip to JOG, It used about 2ltrs of recommended semi syth 10/40 during the trip. I wanted to know the bike would benefit (and use less oil) with fully syth oil as it thinner and might reduce engine pressure. True or Crap?

2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

No idea, but I always thought the thinner the oil the more you used?

3. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

What Brett said. Depends how you lose the oil. Does it leak out or do you burn it. You need to check what oil is recommended for your engine as some older bikes can get clutch slip when using fully synth.

4. Dhan Rollioni

Im not loosing any oil, it's just getting burnt on long runs and searching transalp forums, it seems to be normal. Recommended oil for the bike is semi 10/40. Im not worried about if anymore, just gonna carry some oil when I do another long trip.

5. megawatt

You are losing oil, it's not staying in the engine, it's getting burnt by leaking into the combustion chamber or the exhaust port. If you don't fix it, it will eventually cause problems.:)

Skortchio likes this.
  6. Dhan Rollioni

I will do a compression test and see If a rebore will fix it. Thanks all.

7. megawatt

You won,t necessarily need a rebore?

8. Dhan Rollioni

New rings? I doubt its my valves.

9. megawatt

Valve guide oil seals? Stuck ring, Hone the bores?

10. Dhan Rollioni

Ok, will google it and get more info. Thanks.

11. megawatt

See if you can get a leak down test done to find out where the gas may be leaking to or from?

Dhan Rollioni likes this.