1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

2004 R6 (5sl) Rear Wheel Needle Bearings

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by NAPA121, Dec 1, 2013.

1. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

Guys,

I'm still trying to change these bloody R6 wheel bearings :(

I've done the front :) and i've started to take the rear bearings out but i'm struggling to get the final needle bearings out.

I'm using a bearing puller but it's not moving, I'm using the fitment from the puller and trying to hit it out using a rod from the other end and I am also trying to hammer a flat head screw driver in the edge of the seated bearing hitting at 12, 3, 6 & 9 but none of the three methods seems to want to shift it.

Obviously I don't want to damage the cast wheels so not hitting with all my strength but surely it shouldn't require such a bashing to get it out.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Cheers
    Neil

2. Les

Les British Superbike +

Some heat around the area outside before hitting it?

JimG likes this.
  3. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

or freeze spray on bearing. or heat the wheels slightly then freeze the bearing then good bash. shouldn't take too much force but if water has got in and corroded it then it might need alittle more oomph

4. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

If. All else fails, lever the rollers out of the cage and dremel the cage until you can crush it inwards. Should be possible without damaging wheel. Bell me for details.

lost likes this.
  5. NAPA121

NAPA121 Secret prototype +

Cheers guys....Will try all three ways again but with heating the wheel and freezing the bearing....Touch wood that'll crack it...If not, it'll be Super Megawatt to the rescue AGAIN....

6. lost

lost Samsung leaflet fetishist +

:finger2:

NAPA121 likes this.