1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by jack_bm, Dec 30, 2013.

1. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

now this hasnt bothered me to much but i want to get it sorted as im getting a pannel for the bike which will leave her complete back to normal no more scrapes etc..

Now the problem.. it has a crash bobbin on the swing arm when it slid along it done its job and protected the swing arm but also slightly bent the part where it screws into and the actual bobbin is pretty bent i've got pictures if needed but yeah.. what should i do? hit it with a hammer so it straitens it up and try to unscrew it or what as it would be a little soul destroying hitting her with a hammer :)

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

would need the pictures as I'm normally the hit it with the hammer kind but it does depend if it looks like it would be able to stand up to it.

3. Les

Les British Superbike +

I'd use some heat & gradual leverage if its alloy. For mild steel, heat then tapping but I'd certainly leave the bobbin in place either way until straight. If it does snap off it wouldn't be hard to have a new bracket fabricated/threaded. I assume you'll be replacing the bobbin but if not then try doing it cold.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  4. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

Find a length of tube, 2/4 feet long. which fits over the bobbin and use this as a lever to straight it .Assumming the bobbin plastic or rubber be careful if you use any heat.

5. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

If you try to just bend it back into it's previous position, it will just weaken the weld and the parent metal. It needs cutting and rewelding. Bring bike around and let me have a look at it. I know some good welders.

6. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Cheers for all the replys, just seen the pictures I've taken and they're a bit blurry so will get some new ones tomorrow so you can see better. But yeah was worries about it weakening it and snapping off or something don't think it's too bent though more the bobbin that's bent than anything

7. megawatt

I may be in Hastings tomorrow. Shall I pop around?

8. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Yeah that would be good what sort of time will you be around Hastings?

9. megawatt

Late morning , early afternoon. When suits you?

10. jack_bm

jack_bm Sport Tourer +

Any time after 11 suits me mate

11. megawatt

I'll text when on way. Can you text your house number and postcode again please mate.