1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

My Tzr250 Thread

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by fzr-paul, Jan 18, 2014.

1. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Any 2t bike (not counting scooters :poop:) are quite a rare sight these days, let alone the bigger 250s and up so I thought I would document anything I do to my TZR250 here.

I have owned it since October 25th 2008 after a chance conversation led to me finding and buying it for very little money :laugh:. It had 18800 miles on it.

Here it is before I put different exhausts on it.
    [​IMG]

It had a good few issues at first. Carbs were overflowing badly and filling the crankcase with petrol and hydraulic locking the pistons :eek:. That was cured with new float needles and needle seats.

Since then, in either September 2009 or 2010 (the actual year I have forgotten but one of the two) it had a full top end rebuild and rebore by Taymar racing. It has also had the standard pipes replaced with a set of we think (well, Gibson exhausts think) OX Racing pipes from Japan. Upjetted the carbs from 230 to 250 mains but no more asit is still on the standard airbox.

It always needs a little fettling, mainly carb issues.

It also runs an RD350 YPVS controller as the original TZR one was dead. The YPVS opens and closes at virtually the same revs if you use the RD350 F2 control unit which mine has.

New fork seal were put in three years ago but in the main it is exactly as it rolled off the production line in October 1990.

So, we are up to today where I am yet again having carb issues. It is to do with lack of use. The pilot jets gum up and it becomes very hardtop start on the left cylinder.

I have bought a new ultrasonic cleaner and have yet again pulled the carbs and have stripped,cleaned and rebuilt them.

Here is the bike with the carbs off. Not much is it but boy does the little bugger get down he road fast and still handles so damn well.
    [​IMG]

Here is the left carb before I started cleaning it.
    [​IMG]

Float bowl off and getting the float out to remove the needle for cleaning.
    [​IMG]

All the jets and carb body is in he cleaner. I do one cycle and then turn the carb and do another cycle etc etc.
    Just look at the colour of the water :eek:
    [​IMG]

All the bits cleaned and ready to be put back together. In the photo there is the main, pilot and pilot air jets, float, float needle and bowl.
    [​IMG]

Setting the float height, 17mm in this case.
    [​IMG]

Back together and looking much cleaner. The passageways and jets are now spotless which is clearly the most important thing.
    [​IMG]

I am also going to clean and degrease all around the carb manifolds and crankcase, plus rub down the exhausts and paint using bbq or stove paint, but only the header part for protection more than appearance.

Luckily I also have the best part of a complete spare engine with zero rebored barrels which is handy to have as this is at +1.5mm overbore. I also have a new rear wheel that has nicer paintwork than the current one and that will be going on soon,

As I do more I will add to the thread.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    lost, Roadwart and Carnage like this.
  2. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

very cool bit of kit that sonic thingy

3. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

:devil:
    I prefer the dishwasher with a fine mesh basket for the small bits, you can get cylinder heads crank cases and all sorts in it. I just have to wait till the wife's out.

BlackHornet and fzr-paul like this.
  4. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

I found with 2 strokes (outboard engines) that are not used often the carbs gummed up because the petrol evaporates leaving just oil that goes sticky, so we ALWAYs when finished using it we would disconnect the fuel line and then let the engine run until it ran out of fuel usually just the carbs and pipes worth.

Good write up keep it going!!:thumbsup:

fzr-paul and phil read like this.
  5. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

The oil is injected after the carbs, direct in to the carb manifolds where it mixes with the petrol and air mix. A load of us on a 2T forum are convinced it is the ethanol content which I think is 5% currently and in 2015 going to 10% that is causing hell with our old bikes fuel systems.

I wish I could just turn off the fuel but it is a vacuum tap and it is such a faf to get the fuel lines off.

I am hopeful that this will be the last time for a couple of years. They are certainly a lot cleaner now and I even found the fuel filters that are not documented anywhere as being fitted. They are impossible to see. It was only the fact that one vibrated loose in the cleaner and was half out of the carb.

Still learning things about the bike five years after getting it :laugh: .

6. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

The routine maintenance, repairs and refresh continues.

Both expansion chambers have been removed, rubbed down and I bought a can of BBQ heat resistant paint. so far the right pipe has been painted and tomorrow the left pipe will get some paint.

The tips are masked off and should be silver so they will get a polish this week. The pipes were very scruffy so this is a big improvement.
    [​IMG]

lost, phil read and lammyR6 like this.
  7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

great use of the washing line too

phil read likes this.
  8. phil read

Paul it's far to cold to be spraying outside try the kitchen table like this!!

DSCF1044.JPG

BlackHornet likes this.
  9. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Jeez Phil. Chris is an utter saint to let you do that but I guess that is for her bike???

10. phil read

Er well she was at work at the time.:nah::nah:

fzr-paul likes this.
  11. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

[​IMG] Carbs are back on and I just needed to put one more coat on the first exhaust I painted and paint the second exhaust.

Just to give an idea, this is how scruffy they got. Admittedly I have rubbed them down but the metal is quite thin as they are so so light, (my three year old daughter can easily pick one up!) so I needed to tidy them up not only for the cosmetics but to stop the actual metal deteriorating!
    [​IMG]

And with two coats of the high temp paint on.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I will get them on tomorrow once I have washed the bike and fire it up to see how the rebuilt carbs do.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    phil read likes this.
  12. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

One more job that I have mean't to do since getting the bike back in 2008, sort out the scabby radiator mesh cover. As I have some of the black high temp satin paint from the exhaust repaint it seemed appropriate timing to crack on whilst the exhausts and fairing were still off the bike.

I managed to get the four large philips screws out with the largest philips head bit off my ipact driver attached to my socket ratchet, they were rather hard to undo!!

Looks rather sorry for itself after 23 years. It looked even worse but this is after I used a wire brush on it to clean it up.
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow will see it having a fresh coat of paint. It is all about the details ;)

13. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I have painted the radiator guard. It is far better than it was but I will look for another that doesn't look like it has severe acne (no longer available from Yamaha) and paint that to protect it.
    [​IMG]

And finally I managed to get the exhausts back on. Got the bike started and took it out for a short ride down some country lanes and a quick razz down the motorway.

The carb cleaning has made a difference. It picks up and revs cleaner, it seems to respond to throttle inputs better and when it gets to 7000rpm and the YPVS fully opens it launches itself forward with a lovely pure two stroke shriek. God I love this bike :whoo:
    [​IMG]

Next bit will be to paint the black parts of the side panels in satin black to tidy them up as they are replacement ones that I painted and the black again looks old and washed out. Might even use the remaining heat resistant paint as I think they will look fine painted in the stuff.

14. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Still chipping away at tidying little odds and sods.

Side panel black bits turned out okay. Not mint but more than adequate and will look much nicer when fitted back to the bike.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also cleaned up the rear footpegs and associated brackets. Also noticed missing and torn grommets so have replaced those that needed sorting.
    Minging brackets. I gave this one (behind the footpeg bracket) so much ultrasonic cleaning. Every single mm was brown with corrosion but it is now 100% better and drying after a having a coat of smooth silver hammerite.
    [​IMG]

This one is in the pic below with the grommets. It was really corroded, not as bad as the other one but at least the zinc coating survived.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, some of the bolts needed to have a little dusting of paint (smooth hammerite again). They are hidden behind the panels so I didn't want to spend out on new ones but at least they are presentable now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  15. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Rear footpeg hangers cleaned and bolts sorted. Utter arse getting the pins out that hold the footpegs in to the hangers. The left side one needed to be held in my workmate and clumped with a punch to drift the corroded pin out. All greased up and so much nicer.
    Bolts and stays painted and dry ready to go on the bike. Probably get them back on by Monday when I can clean the subframe up before refitting.
    [​IMG]

Carnage and phil read like this.
  16. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

looking good

17. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Put the bits and pieces back on and tidied up some scruffy wiring. Looks so much nicer now. Will now turn my attention to the rear brake bracket and securing bolts. Also discovered I have a very broken rear fender/mudguard assembly so need to get a new one and that will mean the rear end getting disassembled some more and I can work on more corroded brackets and fixings - joy:lol:

From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

And see how tidying up the sidepanels make a difference.
    From this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

My fireblades rear tyre has a sodding great nail in it and as my credit card is still recovering from christmas I think I will hold off buying a new tyre until next month so the TZR will be called in to service for any rideouts - if the roads are dry!!

phil read likes this.
  18. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Some may have seen this is the pi$$ed of thread :mad:
    I tried to remove the bolt that secures the rear caliper mounting bracket to my swingarm on the TZR. That B****** was well and truly stuck. Sheared the head off. Oh well, used some heat, whacked it and used a bolt extractor that sheared the rest of it to the top of the swingarm.

So, I drilled it and that was going lovely until for some reason the 6mm drill bit snapped. Had started at 2mm and worked up in 0.5mm increments.

So got some of those easy out things, nothing, they wouldn't budge and were stripping themselves.

I then resorted to using a large flat head screwdriver bit and tried to punch it round to undo it. Nothing!!!!!

This had done me. Only thing left is to take the swingarm out and either replace it or take it to a machine shop.

Anyway, I bought some cobalt drill bits and they didn't get through the remains of the bolt so the solution is as below!!!

[​IMG]

That is where I am at, replacement swinger.

I have now fitted hooks to my garage ceiling and the bike is waiting on a paddock stand with ratchet straps between the rear subframe and hooks. At least now I won't need to remove the fairing or exhausts to put a trolley jack under the engine. Just the shock mounts to undo and the main swinger bolt and it can all come out.

Got it for £40. I figured that by the time the bolt has been removed, helicoiled or new thread cut that it would be just as worth my time and money getting this. Luckily mine was the only ebay bid.

I will get the original fixed and add it to my stash of parts.

So bolt=1, Paul=0 :(

19. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Back to working on my beloved TZR. However, this job is bourn out of necessity due to the rather stuffed/stuck/royally knackered bolt in the swing arm.

So, my replacement swing arm arrived and as I had been called out for work at 4am :eek: I decided that as I wasn't going in to work today I would at least get the old swing arm out, oh what fun that was :mad:

The main issue was that the nut that was on the end of the main swing arm spindle was somewhat stuck - should have known this would fight me :(

It is a 22mm nut so I used my socket set and yep, it wouldn't budge. Got a bar on the end of the socket and it still wouldn't budge, WD40'd the hell out of it but still no joy. At this point I knew I had to use an impact gun so I browsed machine marts website and found one that was good for 450nm. I rang my mate Lee who owns MotoWorks in Newington to seek advice. He told me to get my arse over to his place and I could take his impact gun and blowtorch for the afternoon - cheers Lee you bloomin diamond :disco:.

So, I pick up his snapon impact gun that is good for 600nm and blowtorch and return home to take on this damn bolt.

Here is how the bike was. Ignore the mess in the garage, it will get tidied in the summer but I have tools everywhere trying to get this thing sorted!!!
    [​IMG]

So, the manual states that the swing arm bolt should be done up to 90nm or 65ft/lb. So, I put my 22mm socket on to the 600nm rated snapon impact gun and - nope!!!!!!!
    No amount of force was shifting this bolt. So, I applied heat, then WD40, the heat then WD40................
    Nope, still not budging :eek:
    I kept working the bolt and then the unthinkable happens. I thought the bolt was undoing but in actual fact it had enough and rounded off :mad: . The gun was too muh for the bolt. What the hell was I to do now????????

Okay, sh!t or bust time. Applied loads of heat, but obviously not enough to hurt the ally frame, then soaked it in WD40 and hammered a 21mm socket on then absolutelty went for it with the gun again.

Two minutes of solid impact gun action and :whoo:, the bolt undoes. I cannot tell you guys of the relief I felt!!!!!
    [​IMG]

And the rather hammered nut.
    [​IMG]

So, now I can get stuck in to the actual swing arm removal.
    Removing the brake caliper. In this photo you can make out the silver bracket that the caliper bolts to. The elongated slot is where the bolt should go that has snapped and caused me to have to replace the swing arm.
    [​IMG]

Bunjee'd the brake caliper off the same ceiling hooks that the bike is being suspended from.
    [​IMG]

Rear wheel removed so now we can get to the shock linkage.
    [​IMG]

You can just see in this pic the threads of the bolt that hold the shock linkages to the swing arm. This bolt was a pig to drift out and I needed to undo the left side exhaust to give enough clearance.
    [​IMG]

Time for a cuppa, swing arms make great cup holders!!!
    [​IMG]

I then drifted out the main swing arm spindle. This was surprisingly easy given how much agro I had gone through up to this point. I had to remove the shock to allow the swing arm to be removed. Swing arm out :Whoo3:
    [​IMG]

This is what it was all about, not pretty. This will get sorted though at my own leisure.
    [​IMG]

Both swing arms side by side. I needed to swap over bits like the chain runner and brake pipe guide.
    [​IMG]

Shocking!!!!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Cleaning the shock up. Still got some cleaning to do on this but I am not going to be too fussy about it.
    [​IMG]

And here is where I am up to. My poor TZR250 has a lightened arse:lol:
    [​IMG]

I have my kids for the weekend so I will not be doing anything to it until Monday but hopefully by mid next week it will be ready to go again. I have ordered yet more bolts and nuts from Laguna's now. I have been buying all manner of little odds and sods and the Laguna parts guys have been great at helping me get them.

More updates as and when I work on it.

I have got to say a MASSIVE thank you to my mate Lee who owns MotoWorks for offering to lend me his tools for a couple of hours. I 100% could not have done this without them so cheers mate.

Shameless plug for MotoWorks at Newington. I trust very few people to work on my bikesbut Lee is absolutely superb. MotoWork's customer base is growing fast and for very good reason. It is well worth the journey if you are not local as his rates are very good and the work outstanding.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    Russell likes this.
  20. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

She is really fighting you every step of the way isn't she? but whilst i admire your praise for those that have helped im inclined to think you'd have found a way with or without their help'
    given the aggro you've had with the swinging arm im surprised the shock relented so easily. Ive always found its the protrusions that seem to suffer, become scabby and let a bikes appearance down and some of the more simple approaches like a good rub down and lick of paint usually lift the whole appearance of the bike as per your side panels, what a difference they made and now you get the satisfaction of re assembling all the moving parts of the rear end in the knowledge they will all be moving more or less as they should. great job and good on ya for sticking at it ....long live the little TZR

fzr-paul likes this.