1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Settle an argument: In an accident, do you find that things slow down for you?

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by R1 Chickie, Aug 11, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Skorchio and I had a disagreement about this last night, in all the accidents Ive had (3) everything seems to slow down such that I can even have conversations wiht myself in my head about what is happening and almost plan for it. So when I hit the central reservation recently, i remember flying in front of the truck and thinking about it coming towards me and that it could hit me and i closed my eyes and just thought "relax". He took the piss and said everyone is just in my movie and the action scene was slowed down for the audience's benefit :p

2. guy

guy Moped +

3. deano

deano Commuter 500 +

me too ive had lots of accident over the years racing i remember once when i just jumped a 50 foot triple jump on my mx bike i needed to whip the back round to get the landing angle, there was a guy just laying there on my landing area, what to do land on him, kick the bike away it seemed so slow when this racing is so fast i decided to chuck the bike at the last minute i will always remember the look on his face as i came down i missed him but trashed are bikes i walked away and so did he it was very sureal ive had so many of them over the years time does slow well it did for me many times maye its just your rain slowing it down it does feel wired when it happens :)

4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Rubbish! As Deano has confirmed things only slow down when you're airbourne, if you came off in a manner other than vaulting taffic islands you'd know that :rofl:

I've never experienced said slow down in any of my offs, road, track or stunting. Have thought "balls!" a lot though.

deano81 likes this.
  5. guy

guy Moped +

You're obviously not trying hard enough! :laugh:

6. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Or I just think slow anyway and don't notice it :whistle:

7. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

or maybe it because you ride around so fast, when you apply the brakes in an 'o shit' situation, the sudden reduction in speed feels like everything around you is soooo slow.....like when you come off the motorway having done 80...uhhhummmm I mean 70mph and then onto the slip upto a bend or round about approach and its says 30mph...and you think you are doing 30mph, but then glance down and you are still doing 50 or 60mph...so maybe its relative perception...

In short you need to ride faster Dave to get the Neo perception :ninja: .... Tanya is already there...she just needs a long leather coat. :geek:

8. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Makes sense, I'm slow and Tanya needs leather... I'm sold! :ron1:

9. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

things don't slow down just your brain kicks into overdrive trying to work out how to save your ass. In the same way it kicks in when you get the red mist :bounce::rubhands:

10. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

YES.......... In the accidents ive had,,,, any dealings with my insurance company and the 3rd parties t h i n g s definatly s l o o o o o o o o o o o w d o o o o o o o o o o w n. .. :snore:

11. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

ha ha ha :laugh:

12. Tusky

Tusky Off Roader +

Things deffo slowed down on biking accidents when I was younger.... in fact I would go as far to say that i enjoyed the slowed down experience! Strange though, because things have never slowed down in my skiing accidents (there have been many).

So my theory would be that it is the inevitability of parting company with your bike and a messy outcome that will make your brain want to slow things down.

I did come off high speed at Brands a couple of years ago but things didn't really slow down on that one either, my guess is that I wasn't expecting it to hurt despite the speed.... it did though... 24hrs later !!! LOL

13. Les

Les British Superbike +

Had a couple of minor offs & only bit that 'slowed' was from impact to landing after flying over the vicars car that pulled out on me. Was much later, while in hosp trying to work out what happened that everything became much clearer & the sequence slowed down when I thought about 'em. Quite handy as I might've thumped the God's servant at the scene.

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I reckon Tom has it right, it's the adrenaline rush causing massively increased synaptic response that makes everything seem slow by comparison, like Hoppies 'doing 50 after 80 feels like 30 analagy'

Basicly, you all think slower than me. I'm sure it has nothing to do with me being hopped up on caffine. :stomp:

Yoda, deano81 and BlackHornet like this.
  15. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

I just Close My eyes..lol - No do remember when i T boned that car on Ducati and When i crashed at about 85 miles an hour on Paddoc Hill bend both seemed To go through my head Quite Slowly but still could not react any quicker !!! But i dont Plan on Any more to Find Out ..lol

16. Roughie

Roughie Street Fighter +

when i came off on the round about, it did feel like everything slowed down, i remember saying please don't let a car hit me.... please don't let a car hit me !!!!!!!

17. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

I've found that as I get older things are definitely slower and take longer. I just try not to have accidents. :csmoke:

18. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

couldnt act any quicker? it was a bright yellow car that you pulled out on:p

19. Phatboyslimming

Phatboyslimming Moped +

Having very recently exprienced this :stomp: i can confirm for me slow motion started at the very split second i realised it was going to hurt :eek: !!!! & stopped when i finally came to a holt !!!!

20. Wazza

Wazza ZX14R +

The only major crash I've had I was airbourne, and things did slow down. Much like R1 Chickie I felt myself flying past the trees in slow motion thinking to myself "Ok, you've crashed.. just relax and wait to land, you'll be fine". So I couldn't comment on Skortchio's theory of time only slows down when you're airbourne.