1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Riding with Contact Lenses

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Chef, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef 125 +

Anybody here ride with contacts? If so can I have an idea of your experience of it?

I'm being fitted for contacts 9am tomorrow am and wondered if it's comfortable riding with them. Have been riding with glasses for years and really aint feeling the glasses under lid geek look. :(

2. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I do, switched to contacts many years ago after someone recommended them to me...no more misty glasses riding through winter etc! :thumbsup: Only thing to watch is having your visor up and a bug going in your eye, so I always carry a few spare on me.
    For the record I use dailies, that way I have a fresh pair each day, but still use my glasses for everything else when I'm not on the bike. :)

I would try out different brands until you're happy, I've tried a few and always settle on Focus Dailies.

3. guy

guy Moped +

I switched to wearing contact lenses when I started riding ten years' ago - I couldn't be arsed with the hassle of messing around with glasses, plus I found the arms got pushed into the side of my head, and were a tad uncomfortable.
    You shouldn't notice any difference with lenses in :thumbsup:

4. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

same here, depends what im doing mostly wear contacts day to day but sometimes like to give the eyes a break. As previously mentioned first few times you forget you have no glasses on so visr up issues with bugs. also i have notied on some lids the vents at the bottom sometimes blow air up the visor and into your eyes, had this on previous lid and dries the contacts alittle making them uncomfortable or your eyes water .

5. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

I tend to ride with contacts (dailies) but if I can't be bothered/am having a dry eye day then I'll stick with my glasses. No real issues with them so far.

6. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

For those of you, like Sue, who can`t wear contacts, you can get foam inserts for some helmets that have spaces for spectacle arms. Worth having a look when you replace your lid or foam inserts.

7. gixerpaulk5

gixerpaulk5 Off Roader +

Iwear contacts,have for 10 years or more , great for when on the bike, no glare at night either with car lights, good in fog too, just watch the bugs

8. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

There also some lids now (like Shark) who make helmets that cater for spectacles...I tended to wear clear visors with sunnies so I don't get caught short on those days where I leave it late in the evening...sunnies are easier to carry than another visor...and much better than relying on my bat senses.

The sunnies I use have foam around the eye, so when i lift the visor the wind doesn't irritate my eye. I used to wear contacts too but the wind mixed with pollen with contact lenses really made my eyes itch.

I got laser surgery on my eyes 8 years ago and I reckon its the best money I have ever spent :thumbsup:

and my eyes itch a bit less now when riding in pollen laden days, as i guess there is one thing less irritating my eye.

9. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

That is the other thing, I make sure I've taken a hayfever table or two if I'm out on the bike, as I find if my hayfever kicks in it causes my contacts to fall out. :thumbsdown:

10. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

contacts all the way, as said just keep your visor down on the move, much more user friendly than glasses on the bike

11. Roadwart

I use a caberg trip with integral sunvisor so I don`t have to worry about losing my sunnies ;)

deano81 likes this.
  12. hoppielimp

lol...I have an internal sunvisor too which I currently use, as my bike sunnies are with rest of my Australian bike gear in storage. My internal sunvisor isn't polarised, and I find once you go polarised its hard to go back :D

13. Chef

Chef 125 +

Hmm, thanks all - that pretty much backs up what I thought might be the case. ;)

I do have quite mild hayfever so may neck a few loperamide before putting them in in future.

When I go for the fitting what can I expect?

Are there any type of contact lense that might be better than others for the rigours of motorcycle riding?

14. hoppielimp

you can expect lots of eyeball movement and tears....:poke:

15. Chef

Chef 125 +

Thanks mate!

Though I imagine your emoticon is not that far from the truth.

16. guy

guy Moped +

Contactc lenses have moved on a long way since the gas-permeable (hard) lenses, and they're all soft now.
    Depending on how sensitive your eyes are, once they're in, you may not even notice them.
    Probable worst case will be watery eyes for a few minutes the first few times you wear them.

The final choice will be how long they last - there are daily and monthly disposable lenses available. I have monthlies, and they probably last me about 6/ 7 weeks between changes.

You'll get good deals for new lenses and cleaning solutions on line, so once you've got your prescription, have a shop around.

17. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Not really, but I prefer the daily sort over a monthly just because you get a fresh one each day and if I drop one I just open another. :thumbsup:

18. Chef

Chef 125 +

So they are not customised to your own eye shape then or is that part of the prescription. Apologies for asking pleb questions in advance.

19. Roadwart

Loperamide won`t help hayfever mate. That`s for the squits! :poop: :D

20. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Contacts have some degree of flexibility in them, and when you go for fitting they will usually work out which is best for you. They aren't custom made for your eyes though.