1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Gsx750f Front Brakes Excessive Travel?!

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Wazza, May 15, 2014.

1. Wazza

Wazza ZX14R +

I have a GSX-750F (S reg). When I bought it one of the front calipers wasn't working. I've stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the caliper and now it works. The problem I have now is that I've not been able to reduce the travel on the lever. It scraped through it's MOT in Feb after failing one on having no excess travel on the lever. It comes right back to the handlebar and still isn't applied fully at that point. I put braided hoses on the other week to eliminate the hose expansion and although it has helped a *little bit* it hasn't done the job.
    The discs are worn and the pads are old, but that shouldn't have any bearing on the lever travel.
    Any ideas? Maybe get a master cylinder repair kit?
    Thanks!

2. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

its possibly still got air in it, this is one of the biggest problems. does it have a bleed nipple on the handlebar too or is it too old for that?. if it does that needs to be blead too.theres a very good video on youtube with regards to bleeding the brakes, i unfortunately from here cant link you to it but i make sure i watch it before i do the bleeding just to get the rythm right. its open the nipple. fully engage the brake. close the nipple. release the brake. repeat until it becomes firm. it may take a while and you may need someone to help with the pulling in of the brake lever. try this before getting any other stuff. if you can have the bike upright this greatly helps as iit keeps the brake fluid level constant. it only needs a smidgen of air to go in to require a rebleed.

3. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

If after operating the brake a few times the travel becomes less then it is air.
    Pull back the lever as far as you can and cable tie it to the handlebar, leave overnight an old trick(called gravity), but worth a try.

4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

If the brake lever gets hard when you pump it rapidly. it's air, if it stays the same chances are the master cylinder seals are shot.

Remove the resevoir lid and see if the level rises when you apply the brake lever, this will confirm master cylinder seals

5. Wazza

Wazza ZX14R +

Interestingly, I've just noticed that with full pressure applied on the front brake lever, the right caliper still has slight movement if you wobble it with your hand. A tiny bubble of air tends to come out every time you bleed it (done it three times today) whereas the left caliper doesn't have any air in the fluid at all. The lever only gets harder a minuscule amount when you pump it rapidly, hardly noticeable. The level doesn't rise with the reservoir cap off when the brake lever is applied. I always have the bike on its centre stand when I bleed the brakes.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  6. Eagle

Eagle Custom cruiser +

Have a look around the offending calliper and check to see it the seals are dry and are sitting comfortably in place, it only takes a small bit of muck or damage to let air in. I wish you luck with that one, my old katana did the same thing and it was a bugger to sort out :eek:.

Wazza likes this.
  7. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

If it is air that is tricky to remove then google "reverse bleeding" and get yourself a big syringe. Has worked for me.

Eagle likes this.
  8. Wazza

Wazza ZX14R +

I tried reverse bleeding when I fitted the braided hoses.. not for me haha I'm not convinced it's air that I'm having trouble bleeding out, I think it's more likely that air is getting in.

9. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

I don't know how many calipers you have done before....?
    You say "I've stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the caliper and now it works."
    Do you know why it wasn't working?
    Did you replace all the seals? Is/are/were the piston/s clean? Any sign of scoring on the piston(s) or the caliber bore(s)
    Has any fluid leaked out from the caliper?

10. Wazza

Wazza ZX14R +

Ive done one caliper lol but my mechanically competent uncle assisted with the rebuild. it looked fine, no scoring or other damage. there is no fluid leaking from the seals. no i dont know why it wasnt working, i think we decided that the seals were installed incorrectly. it did leak fluid before we rebuilt it. i think we used new seals, i cant be 100% sure though because i have a terrible memory.