1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Servicing - Dumb Question #1 of 4938495

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Choco, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

So, my little CBF is coming up for its first service with me. There's about 30 miles to go. I could go out tonight or tomorrow down to Brighton or out to Southend which is much longer than 30 miles, but it is funtimes on the little pony.

Is it bad to go over the recommended mileage for servicing, or is near enough OK? Is there leeway, like +/-10%?

I did warn you I had dumb questions. :red:

2. Les

Les British Superbike +

If it's newish I take it a dealers doing it for the warranty? Shouldn't matter if it's a bit over, you can always tell 'em first. If it's much older or out of warranty then it doesn't matter but regular oil/filter changes are the main thing anyway.

3. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

The mileage is not set in stone, more of a rough idea when it should be taken in for service so don't worry about putting it over if you want to go for a blast. :thumbsup:

4. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Oh yes, still very much under warranty. Phew. I just wondered if I did c.60miles over the recommended service interval that it would somehow either ruin the warranty or create problems for the engine as it is due an internal clean up.

5. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Nope, it would have to be one tight arse dealer who tries to get out of a warranty claim with that excuse! :laugh:

You could play it the other way too with problem dealers, if the engine hasn't got exactly 'that' mileage on it (lower) when you take it in, does it mean it's not run in properly? ;)

6. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Cool, thanks guys. :)

I bought it at Doble Honda who are utterly brilliant (IMHO). It's a bit of a schlep for me to get there, but they were very good with replacing the fuel pump which had a manufacturing fault (kangaroo hopping on the A406 is not fun), and great when selling me the bike. So I'm hoping they'll be just as brilliant if I go over a bit. Well, I may take it down there for the service, even though I reckon Chiswick is probably closer. Dunno yet.

Anyone have any dealings with Honda Chiswick? Any good?

7. Les

Les British Superbike +

Am I being over optimistic to think they'd look after you being new rider, as you're more likely to go back there when you need a bigger bike? Damn right.

8. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Hope so, it's the basic principle of good customer service right? I mean, I bet you could all name and shame quite a few places that you won't be bothered going back to. Have to say, so far, the places I've been have been brilliant to me - with the exception of one.

Also, maybe they get a buzz out of helping n00bies? It's fun to share the excitement of seeing someone get kitted out to learn how to ride, no?

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Oh! the innocence of youth:rubhands:

Choco likes this.
  10. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

I'll keep it that way. ;) :whistle: (Where's the rose-tinted glasses smiley?)

11. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Worth askin the Main dealers what their charges are for different services. There are big differences between them and ask others what they think of them? If you ever need anything doing that isn't a service for the warranty, just ask?

12. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

IIRC Honda warranty is preserved if you have it serviced at any garage as long as OE Honda parts are used and you can prove such.

Non dealer garages are generally cheaper... Well they were 9 years ago the last time I took a bike to a garage. :whistle:

13. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I believe that holds true for any car or bike due to a law courts ruling. AS long as genuine OE parts are used & the manufacturers service schedule is adhered to, anywhere should be able to do it & not affect the warranty.

Ahh here it is taken from the AA website

14. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

I shan't bother with a reply cos all the others have covered it, I would say that I wish I'd had access to a forum like this when I started out 20 yrs ago! Enjoy Choco and believe me it only get's better and better when it comes to bikes!!!

15. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

It's that bit about "according to the manufacturer's schedule and criteria" that gets me. I don't think I'm going to push it. I woke up quite late today, and want to spend today getting ready for returning to work (I've had a week off), so I'm not going out for a huge run.

I hope it does get better Jim, I mean, it's good already, but I definitely need to build up my confidence on the bike before I move on to something bigger.

Thanks everyone. :D

16. Roadwart

Basically it means that as long as its done using manufacturers parts, at the mileages/times the manufacturer states & to the manufacturers stated tolerances for things like torque settings, you can take it anywhere & still keep the warranty.

17. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Oh, yeah, I understand that now, but my dilemma was "Do I go for a 100+ mile spin when there only 30 miles to go until the first service?" I'm just going skip it today, get it serviced when it is supposed to be done.

So long as it's done by a Honda Approved service centre then it's fine and I get my stamp for the book. Got it.

18. Roadwart

OIC sorry, my misunderstanding. My first new bike went in for its 600mile "service" at about 650 miles & had no problems.