1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

They got me in the end...

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by R1 Chickie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I said to a couple of people Ive been pulled over 8 times in the last year and a half so Im about to use up my 9 lives and sure as hell, just after leaving Whiteways, a cop followed me for about 15 miles and did me for speeding so 3 points for me :-( To be honest, with the amount of riding/driving I do and the fact that Im always running around because Im late, its a small price to pay and not much of a suprise really but what pissed me off was that
    a) he said he thought it was a great bit of riding from me
    b) there was a tosser that had undercut me in my lane coming really close to my leg that the cop didnt do anything about
    c) he said they really dont like riders down there (Sussex)

He was otherwise a genuinely nice fella (and gorgeous) so I took my medicine with good grace. Funnily I had a sneaky feeling there was an unmarked police car lurking around so I had dropped my speed so couldve been worse but why say all that stuff about good bit of riding and ignoring the dangerous driver. Are bikers unfairly targetted??? Methinks so. He did give me the lecture about how many bikers he scrapes off the road just to cheer me right up!

2. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

No matter how gorgeous he may have been the fact that he mentioned point 'c', I think makes him a prejudiced (there's no smiley with a knob on its head). Yes there could've been other people breaking the law, unfortunately you were too and he chose you...likely because of said point 'c'...or fancied seeing what was underneath the helmet...

It should be about riding quickly and safely. You can ride slowly and ride into a wall, oncoming car...etc...and he would still be scraping you off...
    It should be about making roads safer by educating all road users to drive/ride safely...this doesn't mean slowly...

Its funny...on the Bikesafe days, talking to the Police bikers, as long as you are not riding like a tosser, they said they are pretty lenient on a little speed (safely)...not excessively...but they said 'unofficially' they can't say the same for many (not all) of their four wheeled bretheren.

In any case...it sucks :stomp:

3. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I assume that he was A) in a car & B) unmarked. At least you had the decency to accept you had done wrong & didn`t try to argue the point. Most officers will treat you OK if you acknowledge why they are stopping you.

The remark about not liking bikers down in Sussex was IMHO, an uncalled for remark. I would have got his number & written to Sussex Police HQ & ask (politely) if that`s an official line or his personal opinion.

I`m not a speed freak mainly due to the bike I ride but I have been known to get "enthusiastic" occasionally. As Tom pointed out "Usually when the roads a bit too bumpy for the sports bikes" :D

4. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Yep, unmarked blue BMW. His comment was said in the context of "watch your speed around here, Im being lenient on you but the rest of Sussex Police really dont like bikers so if one of the other guys nabs you, youll really get clobbered".

The demonisation of speed really irks me, on the one I understand the major problem is that most people dont know how to speed safely but if speed was a factor, then how come the Autobahn has the lowest accident rate of all motorway systems? It is because they are really strict on lane discipline and following distances, thats what causes problems. And Im tired of people getting away with using their mobiles while driving, I pass at least half a dozen every day and that to me is far more dangerous. Speeders are just such an easy target and its easy to prove.

He actually seemed genuinely concerned insofar as he was saying that he was saying in his 20 year career, he has had to scrape too many bikers off the road so please be careful.

Yeah, generally cops are cool about so-called speeding sensibly, on the BikeSafe course, I was doing close to 100 on an open 70mph road with no other cars around and they didnt say a word.

5. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

Bugger... sorry to hear that. Did you also say that three of the points were due to drop off soon or is that my imagination?

6. hoppielimp

ok...I take it back...maybe he wasn't such a (still no smiley). In context he seems like a reasonable copper...except for choosing you over the dangerous car...:(

Roadwart likes this.
  7. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

My Section 59 expires in September and my points expired in July so I had a clean licence for all of 1 month and the S59 is against my old bike so it doesnt matter. Sussex police are really hot on speeding and I think he is right, they dont seem to be a big fan of motorbikes.

8. Les

Les British Superbike +

That's tough & it sucks for speed alone but as you said...speeders are so easy to prove we make good targets. Def spoils the day. Sounds like he admitted that some of his plod don't like bikers which is most unfair although we all know it goes on.
    S59 was meant for persistent nuisance (usually excessive noise) mostly for off road stuff on/off the highway to the annoyance of others etc. Who did you upset?

9. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

See my other thread about misapplication of S59s, if police think you are speeding but cant prove it, they have started handing out S59s like Smarties. Again, Sussex police, heading down the A23/M23, late as always because Id overslept, got pulled over by an unmarked police car, Audi, and said they knew I was speeding but couldnt prove it so they issued me with an S59.

10. Davetona

Davetona Sport Tourer +

I've always felt Sussex and Kent police and those stupid camera partnerships are obsessed by speed. I once had a hour long argument with both police and camera operators at Kent County Show about it. Obviously, they didn't agree with me!! :htlr:
    PS. bad luck Tanya

HAYABUSADAVE and Sporty1200 like this.
  11. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I was zapped by a mobile speed camera one lunchtime on my bike. He was sat about 80 - 100 yards inside a 30 limit which was slightly down hill. I entered doing about 35, although I did have the throttle shut right down. As I wasn`t sure if I was "within tolerances" so I stopped behind him & asked. He told me I was doing more than 30 but he could hear that the engine was on overrun so to not worry about it. True enough, I never heard any more of it. I spent about 20 mins chatting to him (he was actually an off duty fireman) about his speed equipment & he gave me some speed limit stickers for the works vans, some pens & a couple of Operation Crackdown "credit cards".

12. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

they often target bikers, shown by the fact unmarked bikes and cars are found in the same locations as the best roads and cafes, not sure the copper quite knows the meaning of being lenient, as if he said your riding was good then being lenient is to leave you be. Bad luck thou however it will happen to us all oneday as they launch crack down after crack down :thumbsdown:

13. SteveeP

SteveeP Sport Tourer +

Last time we visited Whiteways the road north of there was one big speed trap.

14. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

Toch wood lience been Clean now for 3 Years - But What ever you do do not get caught on a mobile Dawn did and our insurace policy went up by over 300 .00 when she told them ..:red:

15. hoppielimp

Phatboyslimming likes this.
  16. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

He got me going towards Brighton :-S

17. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I must be doing something right (either that or damn lucky), license has been clean for like 13 years! :laugh:

Choco likes this.
  18. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Mine wouldve been too but for the fact that twice I was being dopey and not paying attention when going through Limehouse link tunnel, a route I ride everyday! and got flashed. And its not like I didnt know where the cameras were, just work stress at the time had me thinking of other things. I am kicking myself that up until Sunday, I couldve had a clean licence for 14 years :(

19. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

I've heard Limehouse is littered with cameras! :eek:

20. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

I am a law abiding, responsible adult :yright: and therefore have a clean licence, (touching wood) these days. Have I just put the mockers on that:unsure: