1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Tyres

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Darkzy, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting a new set of tyres for the CBR, after a nasty bit of glass attacked my current set.

Looking at the Pilot Road 3 or 4's
    (great reviews)

anyone had experience with them or got other recommendations ?

Cheers
    Kelv

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Madproff rates them highly.
    I still like my maxxis for price and grip.

deano81 likes this.
  3. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

Ever used the Maxxis in the wet? any good?

And which ones are you using the Supermaxx?

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

remember PR3's and PR4's are different tyre constructions. PR4's are made for longevity in mind and has less grip than PR3's. Grip is all relative. Unless you are riding like Rossi, or feel like you are, then go for the grippier tyre. If you want more life out of them go PR4's. Don't get me wrong most of us will still not reach the levels of grip most tyres offer when road riding, so it boils down to economics. I think they are similarly priced.

I personally have moved over from M3's and M5's to Z8's from Metzeler. I have found Z8's a pretty good all weather tyre and cheaper than the super sport M3/M5 and Z8's offer plenty of grip and longevity.

5. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

Reviews are saying the PR4 has better wet capabilities thats the only reason I was considering them.

6. hoppielimp

Yes most likely, same with the Z8's, the PR4's are touring tyres, hence the need to perform well in all weathers. The Pr3's are grippier in the dry, but again, Pr4's are still grippy, but not as grippy…lol…there needs to be a 'grip' index...

7. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

In all fairness I do 50 - 70 miles a week mainly upright so the durability may be better, especially if the centre is a harder compound. even though people are reporting huge mileage on a rear.

8. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

I'm not sure they make PR3 anymore and dont believe the marketing about the higher milage of the PR4s

I got 10% LESS milage out of a PR4 than I did out of a PR3, same bike, same sort of trips, same rider :(

Saying that they are a good tyre, but not as good as the PR3

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  9. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

ive had no real problems in the wet with the supermaxx tyres , apart from the odd patch here and there , and tbh I would prob attrib that to the road surface more than anything .... and I can guarantee I was prob pushing it harder than you will be ;) .. maxxis supermax diamond are going for around 150 a pair in your size and they are meant to be alittle bit more road orientated so should last a bit longer/better wet weather performance. no real need for a "performance" tyre as you really wont be pushing it to that level, hell I used to thrash the hell out of the gs and get pretty steep lean angles on that and they were just bt45's

10. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

I've just ordered PR4'S from Tyre Leader for less than £200, great write up for the tyres on my bike

11. hoppielimp

Steve, have you tried the Z8's ? I've got them on the K13 and I really like them and they are wearing a damn site better than my M5's, Ive got the standard construction, not the heavy construction. I've done about 2500 miles…and they look in really good condition….hoping to get closer to 8-10k out of them

12. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

yeah the supermaxx.

wet enough for you ?

deano81 likes this.
  13. Vitesse45

Vitesse45 Street Fighter +

I would agree with sport tourer
    I've had Pr3s that lasted 7500(rear) and that was with 2 trackdays and 1 trip to Spain (2up) and 2 trips to Germany, and i do 'use all the tyre' tried the PR4 Standard (not the GT) and it only lasted 5500 miles but i could not feel any less grip with them against the PR3, but i have gone back to the PR3s as they seem to last longer
    :old:

14. phil read

phil read World Superbike +

I have pr 4's on my sprint I hated them at first, the front just didn't feel as planted as it did with my old Bridgestones which I was lucky to get 3K out of A rear. Iv'e got used to the PR4's now and they seem OK done about 1500 on them with no visible signs of wear. Would I buy more probably yes

15. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

They don't come in sizes I need for the GSA :(

All ways been reasonably impressed with Metzlers though, had Tourances as a spring/winter/autumn tyre and used to use Metzlers on the trackbike (Metzler used to give you a free trackday every now and again)

16. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

Seriously looking at the maxxis's now. at £80 cheaper. than pr4

BlackHornet and deano81 like this.
  17. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

Ordered the Maxxis's at a grand price of £150
    Fitting on Saturday.

deano81 and BlackHornet like this.
  18. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

let me know when they're done and i'll come scrub them in for you ;)

19. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

Not happening haha.

20. Darkzy

Darkzy Race Rep +

You don't like my bike anyway!