1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Not The Best Day....

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Chef, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Chef

Chef 125 +

My nan had a stroke last week so my mum, sister and I went to Hospital in Tooting to say good bye. Obviously it was a difficult time but we all did our bit and said our goodbyes, not that she knew we were there, so not a great start to yesterday.

Coming back from Croydon and not in the best frame of mind I had just joined the A21 from The M25 at, perhaps, a fraction over 70 and I hear a pop, the revs go sky high and I lose all power. The chain has snapped.:eek:

I somehow managed to coast to a halt safely and park just by the A25 sliproad that joins A 21 and proceeded to smoke 3 cigarettes in a row. No problem I think, Ill call the AA, only to remember that my breakdown has lapsed. 2 hours and one hundred and fifty sovs and im back home.

When the chain snapped it obliterated the hugger and ripped part of the pillion hanger off. I checked the casings and no damage there thank fook. I thank god for small mercys that the missus wasnt on the back, I doubt she would have much of a leg left.

The irony is that I got it retentioned last wek in Tonbridge and nobody mentioned owt other than it had a small tight spot and that it would ned replacing at some point.

The only way is up! Still at least I can now get all the bits that need powdercoating off it whilst its chainless and sort that.

Im sure Hannah went past me on her Busa with her thumbs up! They say bad things come in threes, im staying under the duvet for a week. :cautious:

2. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

Oh heck that's awful! I slowed down to check you were okay and thought you'd signalled all was well... should have slowed down more (it had been a long days riding).

Hope it all gets fixed quickly and isn't too painful on the wallet.

3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

not good mate. hope things improve and lucky the chain didn't mess up alot of things :eek:

4. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Oh Chef, that sounds like a really shitty couple of days. Do hide under the duvet for a while.

When you come out from under the duvet, might be worth having a think about whether the retentioning (sp?) in Tonbridge contributed to the chain snapping? Sounds a bit dodgy to me.

5. Les

Les British Superbike +

Sorry to hear about your Nan. In France a while back, one of our group was maxxed out on his 600 Thundercat when his chain went. No injuries but his engine was wrecked & was written off, so glad you escaped injury or serious damage. It was around that time that another mate had a large bird strike his front brake lever, necessitating a long hospital stay after his bike went cartwheeling. Since then I've had the brushguards on this bike. OTT...yeah probably.

6. Chef

Chef 125 +

I must admit to being grateful it didnt wrap itself around the rear wheel, id have been a goner methinks...:(

7. Les

Les British Superbike +

Yup, best not think too much about the forces acting so close to your ankle & no Chinkies for a while for you then?

8. Chef

Chef 125 +

Well Renthal Sprox and a chain is about 165, plus fitting. Ebay should find me a hugger and pillion hanger for about 40 ish and I had already budgeted for the chain so not too bad. Engine is sweet as a nut, was only at about 6k revs in top when it let go. Had I been much higher up in the rev range gear driven cams or not it prob would have gone pop...

It was a sheet end to a sheet day tbh.

9. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Really sorry to hear about your nan Dom. I guess the older we get the more loved ones we lose...just an unfortunate fact of life, makes you always reflect whats important though.

As for things in threes...maybe hold off on those contact lenses...

10. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

What???? Why would his engine be wrecked and the bike written off? Ive never heard of that happening from a chain snapping before *eek*

11. Les

Les British Superbike +

Well it was an oldish bike & the whip end of the chain holed the engine case & some other bits, lost all the hot (thin) oil which caused more damage before he could stop, from about 140. His chain was bone dry before this though so more attention to it would've done no harm. Oh yes, & he was a fat Jock.

12. viking killer

viking killer Street Fighter +

sorry to hear about your nan mate, glad you got away ok when chain went as its been said that can be right nasty.
    keep your chin up mate, things will get better :MC:

13. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

14. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Sorry to hear the news mate. I remember losing my nan & was devastated :(

As others have mentioned, it seems that you got away fairly lightly with the chain & hopefully you`ll be able to find replacement parts at a reasonable cost.

15. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

Sorry yo hear about your nan xxx Very lucky me thinks with chain damage too ---

16. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

Sorry to here of you Nan Mate !

17. sara-gaz

sara-gaz 125 +

Such sad news about your Nan, condolences.
    Sounds like you've had a crappy time, keep ur chin up! although it may be hard at times!

18. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Sorry to hear about your Nan Chef :thumbsdown:, lets hope it's all on the up from here on eh! :thumbsup:

19. Jayjay

Jayjay Street Fighter +

Sorry to hear your news, hope life improves soon

20. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Sorry for your bad news matey, life sucks at times.....
    Beware tho, a tight spot usually means the chain is on its last legs anyway.....as you found out.
    Hope you get back on the road asap!