1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Road Safety Advert Using Video Filmed On Fatal Crash

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by BlackHornet, Sep 4, 2014.

1. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Just how little reaction time the biker gets is scary. The family hope the video will encourage awareness.

2. reeseyboy

reeseyboy Sport Tourer +

Nasty accident that was totally avoidable. Overtaking just before red shaded chevrons and carrying 90+mph through a SLOW sign in a 60mph limit. The car driver was watching the car that was being overtaken, guy on the bike blasted past and bang. Had he hung back for the overtake until after the junction, that would have been signposted further back, things would have turned out different.
    Sad, but true.

3. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

I sooo hope this is doing the rounds on many car forums and that the Biker down people show it and liaise with car agencies regarding promoting this to car users.

This should be shown to every person taking/training for a car/bike test as well as any traffic school participant and oap re-test.
    I (nearly always) do a bit of lateral swerving when approaching x-roads and junctions.

Very sad, but as you say totally avoidable.

rbl10 and Eagle like this.
  4. BlackHornet

i have only seen one none biker friend share this to about 100 biker friends so not great odds.

The driver of the car was charged because not only did he not see the bike he didn't see the car either which was about 1.5 seconds behind said bike.

" David had been travelling from King’s Lynn towards Norwich when the collision happened at the crossroads with Woods Lane and Berrys Lane. The driver of the Renault, who admitted not seeing David or the car travelling behind, was prosecuted in April. While David was travelling above the speed limit, a number of other drivers had seen both the motorbike and the other car."

so had the bike been travelling at the speed limit but still at that point on the road at the same time the outcome would have been the same :-(

5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

It is getting huge press, was on Radio 1 lunch time news.

I agree Tom, I do not know for love or money why the car driver would not see the bike, It is not like the Bike Rider is the only person to drive above the speed limit through that Junction, though I guess not as fast as that very often, the car driver did not even speed up crossing the junction.
    Sad as others say, and should have never happened.

Only Yesterday driving the duel carriageway north on the A22 to Boship Roundabout, in in the inside lane, in my Van, doing 60 (believe it or not) the section before the roundabout where the traffic can turn right across my side, I saw a car drawing up to turn across and just slowly pulled across in front of me and kept same speed across my side of the duel carriage way, I had to brake to 10 MPH to let him carry on across. just begger's belief how bad so many drivers are at judging speed, or even seeing anything now days, I do feel 90% of it is bad eye sight, and their selfish attitude everyone now drives slower so we can all make maneuvers like that and get away with it.

I know there have numerous accidents at this spot, and I blame Highways Agency most of all, the gap should be closed, and people made to go 500 yds or so down to the roundabout, then turn up northwards to turn left.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  6. BlackHornet

The more press it gets the better. However the press only works if it reports it correctly.

I have seen a couple of press releases giving nothing but bad press to the biker but it should be made clear that it wasn't the speeding biker that caused the crash. While the speed he was at won't have helped any survival chance it didn't cause the accident. At 60 mph or even 40 mph it wasn't going to suddenly get him seen, the slower car he had over taken wasn't and that has a much higher presents on the road.

I have to say the feedback to the family has been great for allowing the film to be used to hopefully prevent a similar accident from happening and good on them.

Amancalledrob and Panel Man like this.
  7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I think you could be right about eye sight Brett. It`s all to easy to have it degenerate slowly & not notice which is why opticians recommend a check every 3 years. I have my eyes tested every 2 years whether I think I need it or not. Do any of you get regular eye checks also? On the flipside, theres ppl out there driving knowing they have poor eyesight & refuse get tested as they know they wouldn`t pass as fit to drive, with or without correction.

8. BlackHornet

every year or more often, once every two years for glass and every year on contact lenses.

9. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

I just can't believe the driver never saw him, but if that were me, I would have slowed to 1mph if I had to until eye contact had been made.

Sporty1200 likes this.
  10. BlackHornet

not sure about eye contact isn't that nearly always followed by them knocking you off?

Beelady and Panel Man like this.
  11. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

I can't believe I need to remind you all, but I established eye contact with my Renault Clio-mounted assailant back in March. Our next actions were as follows:
    Me- I opened the throttle to proceed.
    Him- he looked away to check opposing traffic and simultaneously began to move across my path.

Eye contact just means the driver has seen you. It doesn't mean he has actually clocked how close you are. Kevin Williams can fill a couple of pages with erudite explanation of saccadic masking, but it has to do with the driver's brain reasoning the little thing it has just observed must be far away because it's little. If it were closer it would be big, as big as a car!

GuzziRob, lammyR6 and BlackHornet like this.
  12. Roadwart

I really don`t see why more of us dont use our horns. Thats what its there for after all. Just yesterday I tooted at a bloke reversing out his driveway as I knew he wouldn`t see me due to his hedge. Yes, he did hear it & yes it did stop him.

13. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

I have trouble reaching my horn button. I would have to let go of the grip to use it. If it was easy to use I'd certainly make use of it, although it sounds so feeble I doubt if anyone would hear it.
    Always worth a try if you can operate it safely.

14. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Ok maybe not eye contact in that instance but no speed was knocked off whatsoever. I'm not by any means saying the rider is at fault but riding is all about giving yourself a greater chance in all eventualities. See a car looking to turn de throttle cover your brakes not ploughing on at high speed.

Panel Man and BlackHornet like this.
  15. Roadwart

I must admit, a fair proportion of bike horns are a bit weedy. :( Who was it who decided the smaller the vehicle, the weaker its horn?

16. BlackHornet

yeah I agree it can help to ease off and be ready. just don't slow too much or they take that as an invitation to pull across.
    I just hope there are car drivers discussing this as much as we are. I know they aren't.

why ?
    well regardless of if you think this is a 50/50 80/20 or 100//0 fault the out come was a dead biker and a driver with 18 months ban and 130 hours of community service. Those that get the raw deal always discuss it more.

Tony likes this.
  17. Panel Man

With bike horns it's like with men and the size of their feet. I'm told ;)

18. Les

Les British Superbike +

So what about the women Richard?

19. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

You simply can't account for other road users actions. I always ride like everyone is out to kill me. I anticipate what everyone around me is doing, I always give myself an escape plan and always watch what is going on far up the road.
    Sounds like I don't have a lot of time to think about enjoying riding but I do :D , it is just something I have always done.
    Mistakes were made by the rider but boy that all unfolded so damn fast :(
    Just yesterday I was on the M20 on my way to meet John and Emma and I clock an Alfa Romeo in the outside lane, I was in the middle lane. As it got level with me I chose to back of slightly. Lucky I did because it just pulled in to my lane, and had I not backed off it would 100% have hit my front wheel, yes it was that close :mad:
    As I say, it works for me but anticipation is always at the forefront of my riding.

Very sad for all parties involved and those left behind and I hope that many people watch this and learn from it.

Beelady likes this.
  20. Panel Man

Not sure what having big feet means for women. But it seems to be important. :)

lammyR6 likes this.