1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Cbt Changes ...

Discussion in 'On the Road!' started by GixxerGilly, Dec 27, 2014.

1. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

One of the problems I see with the CBT is that its NOT a test in the accepted sense, it is training only. The candidate is awarded a certificate if the trainer deems them competent. There is the possibility under the current system, for an unscrupulous trainer to award a certificate to a non competent rider to up the "pass" figures. I`m not saying this DOES happen but the opportunity is there.

I also agree with the bit about automatic CBT certificates being restricted to automatic bikes only. I, like many of you here, only had the option of learning to ride a bike with gears but these days the roles reversed and its nigh on impossible to get a new moped that`s NOT an auto.

3. Eagle

Eagle Custom cruiser +

I am in agreement with the automatic bit, clutches need thinking about when you are not used to them and even when you are for some people :eek:. You are right it is all about pass levels. CBT may not be a test and should not be failable except in the worst cases, it is like having a couple of lessons in a car then being told come back when you want a full licience! At the end of the day it is all about what is going on in the head of the driver/rider. I did once hear a car instructor say "I am hear to teach you to pass your test" which explains why the standerd of driving for many is so bad. Bikers are left to learn road sence and self servival on their own, as we always have been. I think there should be a compulsery section about maintaining awareness and cooperation with other road users, in many cases it is more about selfeshness than not having the ability. That im going and f§§§ you :moon: mindset.

Thats my 10p worth :old:

4. Roadwart

I have heard something similar. "You`ve now learned to drive to pass the test. Now you`ve passed, you`ll learn to drive in the real world" :/

5. Carnage

Carnage Race Rep +

"The study comes after statistics showed there were between 7,000 and 8,000 road collisions involving motorcyclists or moped riders aged 16-24" and once again there is no quote of how many road collisions there are involving 17-24yr olds behind the wheel of a car...... car = theory test , practical test then ...here ya go............enjoy your one and a half ton missile because we have ensured you know how to drive a car around town at up to 30mph and if your lucky along a few dual carraigeways at 50mph.
    i took my car test many moons ago in south norwood london, a built up residential area and was lucky to get over of 3rd gear an hour later and Mr Carnage was able to take his car and hit the motorway having never even driven on one. now dont get me wrong ....ive always seen training for motorcyclists a beneficial and when i was first starting it was beneficial to your insurance and obviously to your well being to show you had taken and passed a course with BMF other than that you attanded a test centre and rode a set route where the examiner could position himself to stand in various locations and watch as you executed various manouvres like pulling out into traffic stopping and setting off blah blah blah answer a few highway code questions and you were away .....i actually took my test on a KE125 which had a knackered gear shift spline which i had to keep reaching down and pushing back on whilst out of sight of the examiner and at one point i pulled out of a junction in 2nd gear because the gear change had slipped off again......I PASSED :eek:...making that BMF training compulsory was a good move in my book. however the way i see it is if you pass on a 125 then great ...regardless of age or experience there should be a limit as to how far you can progress ...i.e pass on a 125 and you have a full license for up to 350cc and a set bhp ...if you wish to progress higher then you have to re attend and pass another type of cbt for the next level say up to 600 and a raised but again limited bhp and then again for upwards of that. i too often hear of folks achieving thier bike lisence at a later stage of life and hopping from a 250 straight onto a litre bike or even some of the high bhp 600 sports bikes out there ( hence my comment about limited bhps. i feel its where the proving grounds should aim thier attentions. i also think new car drivers should be given high speed tuition ...being taken to somewhere where they can be shown ..." if you drove at 70 mph and do this.....this happens and your going to have an accident on the road ...and i dont mean a trained person driving into a controlled skid i mean let the learner drive around a prupose made course and lead them into the mistakes that will make them lose control, trying to manouvre a 40mph bend in the wet at 70mph on a wet slippery surface .......approach junctions at high speed and have a mock paper of something or other car or motorbike emerge from nowhere ...let them see what thier actions can achieve , for a motorcyclist its a little more obvious ...your not going to just damage your vehicle .....your going to get seriously hurt or die . oh and car learners should also be made to take a motorcycle cbt to raise thier awareness. annnnd breaaathe ...sorry rant over.

6. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Feel better, Pete? Actually I agree with everything you said. I have suggested for years a graduated progression in License ability for car drivers: theoretically you can pass your car test and hop into a Lambo. When officialdom objected that the cost of the licensing process would be raised, I pointed out that there are already separate test regimes for trucks and busses.

That's a different department, apparently.

I think car training should be available (at a cost, of course) all the way up to unrestricted speed vehicles and driving speeds - the thinking being that a highly- trained driver would not use inappropriate speed. The same could work for bikers...

7. JimBo

JimBo World Superbike +

I'm one of those, 52 years old, hazard awareness, cbt, training on a 500, direct access, Cagiva Raptor :eek: :red:
    At the time I thought it was foolish of the authorities to allow it, but I wanted a bike.

You can also tow a caravan without any formal training too. :eek:My car/van combo was about 37ft long.
    Outrageous.

8. Roadwart

I also did my DAS & got straight on a 1100, however things had changed enough that I had to take my test on a bike with at least 600cc. Even the current changes that happened you can still do a DAS to any size bike once you reach 24

9. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

you mean you haven't taken the trailer test that came in some 14 years back ? :rolleyes:

Grandad rights are so handy sometimes :thumbsup:

I also did my DAS and bypassed all the crap. But I still hate the fact I had to pay and do some stupid hazard / questions crap which was a waste of time as I could have walked out the test centre even if I failed and jump in a 500 bhp car or truck with trailer or even a 125 motorbike so what was the point ?