1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

May Day Run, Hastings

Discussion in 'Biker events' started by MadMitch, Apr 27, 2015.

1. MadMitch

MadMitch Twist N Go +

I'm going along to Mickey's Diner (The Rock Cafe) on the A249 at Detling on the Monday (4th May). There's a bunch of us leaving there about 9am for the run to Hastings. Might see some of you there!

lammyR6 likes this.
  2. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

Not sure if we're going yet but I'll look out for you if we do.

deano81 likes this.
  3. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

I was going to text John, but let me know if you do go or are just out and about regardless.

I may bring the TZR out for a thrashing.

4. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

Auto jumble at Hamstreet on Sunday but we'll let you know if we're doing anything else :)

5. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

Spoke to John a while back. Will be out, probably on the tzr as I am waiting for new tyres to be delivered for the blade and its mot is up on Thursday!!!

Beelady and lammyR6 like this.
  6. MadMitch

MadMitch Twist N Go +

I'll be wearing Blue Jeans and a Black Leather Jacket so shouldn't be hard to find!!!!

Beelady and lammyR6 like this.
  7. Tony29

Tony29 125 +

If you carry your lid with you, you might stand out of the crowd a bit more :giggle:

8. MadMitch

MadMitch Twist N Go +

Now why didn't I think of that??!!!!! Ok, I'll be wearing black boots, blue Jeans, black leather jacket with cowboy fringes AND carrying a full-face white Shoei lid. Conspicuous or what?!!!!
    Thanks Tony!

9. Tony29

Tony29 125 +

There we go, I'll be wearing black boots, black leathers and carrying a black and green Scorpion lid. There's no way we will miss each other. Lol

10. MadMitch

MadMitch Twist N Go +

First one to spot the other buys a beer then!!!

lammyR6 likes this.
  11. MadMitch

MadMitch Twist N Go +

Well, had a pretty good ride down to Hastings. About 40 minutes into the ride, we came across a guy who'd managed to land his Harley Road King upside-down in a ditch! He was a bit shaken, had a split lip but was otherwise OK! Five of us pulled his bike out of the ditch and put it right side up at the roadside for him. We made sure he was ok then rode on. About six miles before Hastings, our Road Captain, Dale, stopped suddenly to chew a marauding Bee! Then as he and I rode off (I was tail-end Charlie) to catch up with the others, a car pulled out in front of him. He braked so hard that the front forks on his Harley XR1200 bottomed out, but he kept it upright, thankfully!

We got to Hastings and it was PACKED! We were marshaled to park up on the West side of the town so we had a 20 minute walk to where we wanted to be and discovered that EVERY food outlet had a half-hour queue to it! I watched one particular queue at a nearby chippie dwindle down to just four outside the door, at which point I bolted over and staked my place! 15 minutes later I returned to our table at the pub armed with sustenance for us!

We watched some of the many bikes being paraded up and down the seafront then Andy and I decided to leave about 3pm. The others stayed on but despite our early getaway, the roads were packed with traffic and cops armed with video cameras! (All hoping to get that £250 clip?!).

Made it back to Allhallows about ten to five. Sorry Tony, I missed you in the crowd! Dunno if it was me but EVERYONE seemed to have a black and green scorpion lid!

12. Rosie

Rosie Sport Tourer +

Yes, I went with friends for the 1st time and it was interesting but too packed for me. I saw some hairy riding stunts around the town and experienced the same hassles as you. Would I do it again ? No. I much preferred the Margate meltdown which was a lot less packed and more spread out. Still had abit of the delays getting out of there but definitely a good day with friends.

13. MadMitch

MadMitch Twist N Go +

Hi Rosie,

Yeah, I'm with you! Doubt I'd do the Hastings MayDay run again. Might well try the Margate Meltdown next time!

14. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

The Mayday Run isn't the same as it used to be in the '80s. Far too crowded nowadays, which is why I head for Rye instead. At least you can get food quicker & easier there :hgry:

deano81 likes this.