1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Wrong Side Of The Road

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by sideways, May 11, 2015.

1. sideways

sideways Moped

I keep getting remarks about my style of riding i.e "You are always on the wrong side of the road" To let everyone know I was trained by Kent Police to become a surveillance motorcyclist on the Drug Squad and when I transferred to the City of London Police I obtained Advanced status for cars and bikes. The Police Roadcraft system of riding in my opinion is the highest qualification you can get for riding fast and safely on public roads. I have never been on a bike on a racetrack so would not comment on other riders. We pay for all of the road and should use it when safe to do so. Crossing a solid white line is taboo except for certain circumstances as per the highway code. It is all about reading the road, good observation and planning so please no more comments about my riding.

rbl10 and Roadwart like this.
  2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

If you are riding on the Wrong Side of the Road you are riding too fast :p

3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

Ah the high way code is really just a guide a bit like those lolly popped shaped signs with numbers in you see by the side of the road :thumbsup:

RedRock and MrGreen like this.
  4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I`ve got to agree with @sideways on this. On the bikesafe I did they said that there is no problem using the whole road provided its safe. The same with straightening out bends. In the words of the copper running it "You`ve paid your road tax, why not use it if no-one else is"

5. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I thought you were just senile ?

6. sideways

sideways Moped

There is no WRONG side of the road apart from a solid white line preventing you from crossing it.

7. BlackHornet

you can cross a solid white line just don't get caught ;)

8. MaDProFF

Tell that to the guy who crashed who took the wrong side of the road and did not see a car coming the other way just recently :(

9. BlackHornet

Well something can be on the left side of the road and if you don't see that you still hit it. Doesn't matter left right middle curb it has to be clear
    first

Tony29 and Roadwart like this.
  10. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

The simple answer to this is if you don`t like using both sides of the road, then don`t. If you`re happy to & its legal to do so, then crack on. :thumbsup:

11. ninjabob

ninjabob Street Fighter +

Personally I think it is a highly dangerous thing to do and no amount of training can change the fact that if hit by an oncoming vehicle you are going to be in a world of hurt and an equivalent amount of trouble. I have seen experienced riders offsiding and I have also seen someone hit an oncoming car when drifting over the center line on a left hand bend.

To me "look at me I'm a Police Roadcraft taught rider" style of riding is just more willy waving!

deano81, MaDProFF and LATE like this.
  12. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

I am not aware of exactly what gets taught to the police riders but I can say that as of 2 weeks ago when I did bikesafe they were still advocating using the whole road where safe to do so.

The key phrase of course being "where safe to do so"and never in a situation where if there was something coming the other way you could not get back to the other side of the road safely.

Roadwart likes this.
  13. rbl10

rbl10 125 +

Off siding can safely be used to extend a view but should not be used to gain a view, personally I see nothing wrong with staying in position 8 following an overtake to extend my view but moving out into that position to gain a view - no thanks.

14. sideways

sideways Moped

Sorry TC you talk a load of bollocks and I wonder what your qualifications you have. Only this weekend I have been out with some riders who are absolutely dangerous and do not know about reading the road and ignore every rule in the highway code. Lets go out for a ride together and learn from each other.

15. MaDProFF

Riding on the wrong, hence the word Wrong is dangerous, with all the driveways that turn out in your path, let alone cyclists now days, and walkers, lets face it how many people look both ways to turn Left, for me you are just uping the odds to much in favour of an accident waiting to happen. Lets face most of us ride to enjoy the bends not to ride in a straight line through the bends :)

MrGreen likes this.
  16. sideways

sideways Moped

Sorry Mad Proff but I presume from your comments that you are a Pizza delivery rider and very boring

Sporty1200 likes this.
  17. MaDProFF

Maybe Sideways, but I rather go out enjoy myself, enjoy the company, ride at my pace, let others ride at their pace, ride safe, and get home safe with the others who have ridden with me. not try and ride too fast in a straight line all the time through bends

MrGreen likes this.
  18. sideways

sideways Moped

I am not going to comment anymore on this but if anyone comments on my riding trust me I will be commenting on theirs. So lets agree to disagree. I don't agree with people riding up the arse of car drivers, going on the wrong side of keep left bollards, crossing solid white lines without a genuine reason and giving us bikers a bad name. On Sunday I was witness to a member of the public reporting one of the group to the Police for stupid riding and no one has reported me for using all the road.

19. sideways

sideways Moped

Perhaps you should upgrade mad proff from a 50cc to a 125cc

20. MaDProFF

thought you were not gonna comment anymore?

MrGreen likes this.