1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Getting Some Knowledge

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by MrGreen, Jun 14, 2015.

1. MrGreen

MrGreen Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

Just curious how everyone managed to get the mechanical know how. I'd like to be able to get around any problems on my bike and confidently service it all myself. Was it all trial and error? Courses perhaps? Both curious and wanting to maybe follow in anyone's success with learning :)

2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

Read, you tube, ask and listen :)

3. MrGreen

Been doing that as much as possible. For instance I want to change my spark plugs, I've found a 'alright' video about it. Scared ill mess up an expensive machine though haha

4. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

combination of common sense, trial and error, and research whether that be a manual, instructional found online or someone passing along helpful info .. also helps to actually have an interest in tinkering with bits, or at least a need to save spending out stupid amounts on a garage/mechanic for something you can easily do yourself... still amazes me how many people would rather pay a small fortune for something basic like an oil change to be done rather than do it themselves.

5. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

where abouts are you? if youre anywhere near Eastbourne you could always pop round to mine and id help you out

6. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Haynes manual and common sense helps.

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

duct tape, zip ties,WD40 and a hammer solves 99% of issues. Okay makes the other 1% much much worse but that's the gamble :thumbsup:

Panel Man, Tomasbe and MaDProFF like this.
  8. MrGreen

Just read I have to take the fuel tank off to get to the plugs :fpalm: oh man I wouldn't know where to start. Only found one useless YouTube video

9. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Best buy a Haynes manual then.

10. MaDProFF

Newer bikes are a lot harder to work on now days, am surprised the plugs need changing

11. MrGreen

Had a look. If the website is to be believed there isn't one for the 300. I'm just going by the manual. Just trying to keep it tip top

12. MrGreen

Very good of you thanks. Think I'll make a project out of it. From what I've read on forums people boast that taking the tank off isn't hard (to them it isn't maybe). So I guess if I take my time with it and I am careful I may learn a thing or two along the way. Worse comes to worse I could always get some assistance.. hopefully haha

13. r1jay

r1jay Race Rep +

Slow and methodical is the way forward. I find that taking pictures as you go along helps too so you can see where parts go when it comes to refitting everything. To remove the tank remember to take the riders seat off. You may well find a few bolts under it that hold it in place. For a manual check out carlsalter.com. They're free downloads. If you get stuck give me a shout

14. fzr-paul

fzr-paul Race Rep +

This pretty much. I started pulling apart my 2T bikes because I broke them a lot and just learnt as I went along.
    I buggered up fourth gear on my fireblade a year or so ago and had never dropped a 4T engine. Took logical. methodical steps and it was a breeze. I can pull the engine and put it back in on my own in half a day now - not that I actually want to any more though!!!

As long as you take your time, take photos if needed for reference and ask questions if you feel you need to then it is amazing what you can tackle on your own.

15. MrGreen

Thanks guys. Found a manual. Worse comes to worse I'll be back on here preaching about the terrible terrible mistake I've made haha. Doing some reading the 250 came with a tool that helps you to take the spark plugs in and out from the side.. God knows why they didn't include the tool with the ninja 300 since that seems to be another, easier, method of changing the plugs

16. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

Like others, I have learnt by trial and error :shrug:, using the manuals and/or by sometimes having someone who knows how to do it on standby while I have a go myself. Now, particularly on the R6 I do the majority of the work myself (not electrics though!). Same as on the trackbikes - with the help of a friend have even had the 400 carbs stripped down on my kitchen table :rolleyes:.
    Once you've done the job - it's very satisfying ! (Mind you, my recent fun changing a crank case gasket did entail rather a lot of swearing :mad: before getting to the satisfaction stage lol)
    Bikes usually come with minimal toolkit under the seat (bit naughty of them if it didn't! Especially if bought from new) but guess depends who had it before you.
    If you need any tools, or as Jay said, some company whilst doing the work I am more than happy to come over to give some moral support. :)

17. MaDProFF

Also check out if you have not all ready, specific bike related forums, I got the manual for your bike I Think :p plugs around 11k or was it 12k

18. MrGreen

Thanks. May have to take you up on that when I mess up :p

Yep, been getting a lot of info from those forums. Although rather unhelpfully every spark plug installation discussion turns into copper vs iridium.. very annoying. My manual says 12km of 7.5 miles. Perhaps you read the km

19. MaDProFF

yeah poss, that is dam low to say the least, suppose smaller engine they get hammered more :( could be a Diavel, on the 15k miles service to adjust and check the valves they have to drop the engine :(

20. MrGreen

It's the price they pay for looking pretty haha