1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Front Shocks, Pre-load, Compresion, Rebound

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Sporty1200, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Did it look like i knew what i was talking about from the title? eh? (:

Big Thanks to Mr Murphy (Skortchio) for showing me how to sort my suspension out and bringing meaning to the otherwise meaningless technobabble i have been reading. :thumbsup:

Below is a good link, but if your like me you need a guru to actually explain and demonstrate what it all means first.. I can happily tweak with confidence now, well a bit more anyway. Thanks Skortch..

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/motorcycleSuspensionSetup.htm#Front Preload

2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Glad to help, dude. Stopped me pulling mine apart a while longer :thumbsup:.
    How was the ride home? Hopefully with a little tweak here and there it'll be just how you like it.

Remember to write your notes ;)

3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

mine might require more than a tweak :D
    something about the bearrings being fooked in the forks may have been said at the mot centre, the rear spring is pretty dead too :thumbsdown:

what tweaks should i try ? :hah:

4. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

[​IMG]

deano81, GixxerChick and Hanna like this.
  5. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Your MoT centre thinks there's a bearing in your fork? No wonder the bike passed...

6. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

fork yoke whatever somewhere at the front :eek: shocked me i thought only the rear was shot to pieces :hah:

7. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

8. Dhan Rollioni

Dhan Rollioni Commuter 500 +

I made a sheadsheet to help adjust the rider sag after taking front and rear suspension measurement. As for damping, i just set to standard settings then go out for a ride and make adjustments until it feels right.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  9. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Sag is a static adjustment, unless you have wildly fluctuating weight or take a variety of passengers you shouldn't need to adjust it once set.

As you say, comp. and reb. are best dialled in to user preference (within optimal range of course). The trouble with most stock suspension is that despite, for example 18 clicks of adjustment; the actual amount of functional change is often only about 6. But on the upside, it is adjustable :D

deano81 likes this.
  10. Dhan Rollioni

I am surprised by the number of biker's who don't adjust their suspension to their weight and style.

11. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

A lot depends on how easy it is to adjust. My last bike (xvs1300) was only adjustable on the rear & a pain to get to as it was a rear monoshock mounted in front of the rear wheel. As such you either had to remove the rear wheel to get to the adjuster (complete ball ache) or have someone lift the weight off the rear wheel while it was adjusted by inserting the C spanner through the belt drive. This was the easier option assuming the spanner didn`t slip causing you to lose the skin on your knuckles. :eek: This meant that it was adjusted for an average of solo, 2 up & 2 up with luggage.

Current bike has ESA so is easily adjusted with just a couple of button presses so gets adjusted a lot more.

Dhan Rollioni likes this.
  12. Dhan Rollioni

yeh ive had a few where the rear suspension was a bitch to get to.

13. Dhan Rollioni

ESA, Im assuming its a servo driven preload adjuster. Very cool, which bike ?

14. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

Wish I had the time to do it! my bikes lucky if it gets cleaned :bhead:

Roadwart and Dhan Rollioni like this.
  15. Dhan Rollioni

I suppose if its handling ok then there's no need to adjust it. Me, personally I like to get it feeling just right.

16. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

K1300GT. Being a much sportier bike than the cruiser I do notice if its say set for solo & I`m 2 up.