1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Jim's freebie Winter Hack, Work has commenced!

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by Jim, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

The Project starts!
    Tank seat and panels off Carbs out having taken note of what goes where using the camera, it's ready for the carbs that are in being cleaned!
    [​IMG]

Charlie hard at work helping by playing the games on my phone!
    [​IMG]

For a virtually free bike it's not in bad nick eh?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SteveeP

SteveeP Sport Tourer +

Jim.... I am shocked!

Clearly, the press-up's bench in the background, along with the weights is a HEALTH & SAFETY risk and should be removed to the skip immediately!!! LOL

3. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

ally
    Some of us do not have a naturally lithe and finely sculptured body like you Steve and have to work at it!:D

Yoda, SteveeP and Phatboyslimming like this.
  4. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Cool, look forward to reading updates on this Jim! Love a good project thread! :)

5. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Yesterday I collected a Rentec luggage rack for it at £30 under the price for a new one, from Ebay, it needs a re-spray but is in pretty good nick. My plan is to put my old Givi box on the back of this bike and an after market Givi windshield from my Honda CX on it so that it is 'Charlie friendly' (i.e. he wont tend to fly off the back when I accelerate like he does on the SV) and have some practical use from it, shopping etc as well as a bit of protection in the winter cos this baby is gonna be out in it all rain or snow! Had a phone call from V-Twin MCs that my carbs are ready and that one of the diaphrams was buggered so just as well I have two sets to be able to rob parts from one for the other! Pics later today. I will soon be :bike:

6. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Hmmmm, I wonder how long before your wife gives you the 'it's me or the bike speech' ? :D

Roadwart likes this.
  7. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Erm , we've had that one, luckily I was able to talk her down! I think she knows it's a 'no brainer':giggle:

8. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

After what you were saying the other Saturday, she only had the hump because you didn`t buy a cruiser Jim ;)

9. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

That's the carrot I keep dangling mate, my trump card, don't want to play that one too early, always keep something in reserve wether its cornering on your bike or negotiating with the other half, otherwise it just get's all emotional and messy!;)

Phatboyslimming and Roadwart like this.
  10. Roadwart

I like the way you think James :thumbsup:

11. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

HELP!
    Got the new carbs on fired it up and it runs! .............................On tick over and until it gets quite warm, but if I rev it up it starts to cut out like it's hunting and when it warms right up it then dies, I need a new battery which is easily rectified but any ideas about this carb type issue. Before you ask it has had the tank cleaned out, fresh petrol, fuel lines cleaned, fuel filter in tank cleaned, carbs super sonically cleaned but not balanced (could that be it?) new plugs, (although I took them out and cleaned them today and found them very black, poss to rich fuel?) Any words of wisdom welcome!

12. Roadwart

Balancing may help Jim. I assume you`ve checked the float is at the correct level?

13. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

No, didn't, is this as relevant on vacum fed systems? Be warned we have now left my comfort zones regarding mechanics and I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, anyone care to elaborate as if you were explaining to an imbecile?
    Thankyou.

14. Roadwart

I`ve no idea either Jim but you have to admit, it sounded good ;)

15. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

I suspected this to be the case you blagger! :D:rofl::D:rofl::D
    But maybe someone else knows? Ducky, Scortchio?

16. Roadwart

Jim, just found THIS thread on another forum & there appears to be an O ring that can cause problems. Have a gander & see if its any help

17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Black plugs is too much fuel, carbs control fuel, fix carbs. Wanna borrow my carbtune? ;)

Also make sure the air intake tract is plugged in correctly, old zxr400's had massive issues with not having their vacum lines plugged in / up.
    It's late and I'll think more tomorrow.

18. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Brilliant thread Paul, thanks!

19. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

Look forward to reading your thoughts Dave! I'm glad you think it's fuel related and Carb issues, even though I don't know where to go with this yet I hope some 'online' learning on my part and the spare set of carbs I have (to practice on and rob for parts) will combine to make the issue solveable and cheap!

20. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Right, now i've had some coffee.
    When it's cold, is that with or without choke you're running it? Given the choke essentially just gives it more fuel anyway if you're starting it from stone cold with no choke that could be a sign there's too much fuel getting in also.
    Where is the carb from? Can you (and I accept this might make your twitch) check the jet size?

As RW says, if the carbs were stripped when cleaned (likely) you need to make sure the O ring is in place.
    It's a tricky job to remote diagnose, as you have to make ceratin assumptions or start at point 1 and work forwards.

Black plugs = Air/fuel mixture too rich, choke stuck on, electrical problem, extended periods of low speed driving, plug heat range too cold.
    Now, as you're using oem stuff we can assume the heat range is ok, the low speed driving also isn't an issue. The engine runs smoothly (?) albeit only briefly, which would incline me away from electrical.
    Leaving a sticky choke and bad mix.

Why have you got new carbs on, where did they come from?

Are these your plugs? dryandwet.jpg either one.

Not to be confused with: Plgnorm1_small.jpg which is ok.

The Haynes manual should have a section for inspecting the carbs also, which bits should move freely (check the choke section too) make sure they all do what they should.