1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Dead Battery

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Eileen, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Ok, so I'm still very new to riding so please bare that in mind ... Basically I wasn't able to ride my bike for a month and today rode it for the third time, just the short journey (5/6 miles) to work... I stalled it a few times this morning and one of the times the dash said low battery but as I then rode for another 10 mins or so I figured it would be fine, then this evening I stalled it twice and the second time the engine wouldn't start again (but the lights and everything still worked) ... I was near home so pushed it the last bit home.

Should I have realised that would happen and rode it for longer before stopping this morning/eve? Not that I intended to stall but still...

My problem now is how do I charge it? My dad says he had a trickle charger, will that do the job or do I need to get something else??

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

As long as the battery hasn't gone completely flat the trickle charger will have it sorted.

To charge the battery while riding needs a decent run with decent revs, short commuting runs aren't great for that.

I will bet my R6 battery will be flat as not ridden that one for too long now.

Eileen likes this.
  3. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Thanks ... I think it is totally dead now :(

I will see if his charger is any good otherwise I'll buy another!

I think I just need to get it running again then go for some longer rides:)

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Optimate do a good range of chargers to just leave on your bike over the winter when usage is somewhat less. Also optimal does a little battery test and may recover your dead battery.

Eileen likes this.
  5. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Thanks, my dad thinks his charger will do the trick, if not I'll look at optimate!

iPhone tried to autocorrect optimate to intimate lol

hoppielimp and lammyR6 like this.
  6. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Don't worry I would think your dad's charger will do the trick

Eileen and hoppielimp like this.
  7. Eagle

Eagle Custom cruiser +

Just do not get tempted into giving it a fast charge with a car charger, it will cook your bike battery. always worth thinking about an optimate or something similar, it is something that is going to be needed from time to time especially if you ever get an after market alarm or something similar.

Eileen and Russell like this.
  8. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

As Eagle has said, if you use a high output car charger it can buckle the internal plates of the cells. In that case you'll be needing a new battery.
    Some battery chargers have a link that can be moved so as to reduce the charging current specifically for much smaller motorbike batteries. In the past i've used a resistor from an electronic shop to reduce the charging current & I still use this method for charging brand new batteries as they need a constant current flow, which an Optimate charger doesn't do.

Eileen likes this.
  9. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Not sure if the charger I used was right or not then :( it was a trickle charger and seemed to do the trick but I haven't had the chance to put it back in the bike yet, will do at weekend.

Have bought an optimate too for next time :s

phil read, Carl Berg and hoppielimp like this.
  10. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

Hopefully you've got the Optimate adapter so that you can plug the lead in without having to use the croc clips.

Eileen likes this.
  11. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

No haven't got that, will look into it!

12. Carl Berg

Carl Berg Sport Tourer +

Eileen likes this.
  13. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

I have 3 optimates and they all came with croc clips and the adaptor that bolts directly onto the battery terminals

14. Stars and Stripes

Stars and Stripes Secret prototype + Site Supporter

eBay item:Optimate 3 4 Dual Program Accumate Charger Waterproof Battery Connector Lead TM (#351475970842)

Like this one

Eileen likes this.
  15. Eileen

Eileen Off Roader +

Finally got battery back in bike and went for a ride yesterday :)

Carl Berg, hoppielimp, Eagle and 3 others like this.