1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Speed cameras revealed as dangerous money-spinners

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Sporty1200, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Quote - (Full link at bottom)
    Statistics revealed what motorist have long-suspected: cameras do very little of any use. They don't actually cut accident rates when they are erected. The only thing they can be definitely proven to do in every case is raise revenue for the government. :stomp:

Take the speed camera which was set up on the A329 in Little Milton, Oxfordshire, in 1997. According to the Daily Mail, before the camera was put up there hadn't been a single accident there for five years. In the first five years that the camera was up it clocked up five collisions and ten casualties

The problem, motorists have always argued, is that it's safer for drivers to consistently slightly exceed the speed limit, than for them to exceed the speed limit most of the time and then brake heavily for the cameras. They act without thinking who is behind them, and take their attention off the road which endangers pedestrians.

http://www.walletpop.co.uk/2011/08/...ed-as-dangerous-money-spinners/?ncid=webmail4

:rant:

2. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Whenever I drive into work I go west along the dual carriageway in Bexhill, this is a 40mph zone with a moneymaker situation about half way along it, I know it is there so adhere to the 40mph limit, the majority of others motorists react in one of the following ways:

1. Speed past me, see the camera and brake sharply and dangerously to about 30mph, go past the camera and speed up again.

2. Are already doing dead on 40mph but slow down to 30mph "just to be safe".

3. Don't give a toss...

3. Les

Les British Superbike +

Suppose it's the admission we all guessed at & were waiting for. I'm sure that some of them may prevent deaths but will still be glad when they've all gone & more marked traffic cops are about to catch tailgaters etc. Mmmm...don't think that'll happen anytime soon either.

4. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

I like to see those with burning tyres wrapped around them, such a lovely sight.....alight. :hah:

5. Sporty1200

I guess its no real surprise, the Government lying to us to separate us from our £££. :thumbsdown: :poop:

6. Les

Les British Superbike +

The one near Brands on the A20 was pulled out of the ground :giggle: a few years ago, then replaced. I wrote to FB magazine & asked to who I should the cheque for a repeat & they only printed it with a pic of a speed cam being passed by a green 6R, which I had at that time. Big bro or what?? Oh yeah & it's still there.:thumbsdown:

7. Sporty1200

Just like this...........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iprAsCibZtM&feature=related has been posted before, but so worth a repeat.:thumbsup:

I love the way they sit there and watch it burn... :haha:

8. HAYABUSADAVE

Yes i remember the one burnt out one at Death Hill near to Brands.....damn good it looked to.......was one in Tun Wells to.......a most pleasing site

9. HAYABUSADAVE

One at brands still there eh.......do i still have any old tyres in the garage..lol

Phatboyslimming likes this.
  10. Biscuit

Biscuit Commuter 500 +

haha so it was you d--- that done the one on A21 :hah: top man:thumbsup: