1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Sat Nav On Bikes

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by MaDProFF, Mar 14, 2017.

1. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

seems like some of the changes apply to Motorbikes

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2017/march/new-law-handheld-devices-driving/

I am a little lost though as to the wording?

"Sat nav systems can still be used while riding, but they'll need to be positioned out of the 45ยบ angle of the rider's view and you won't be allowed to reprogramme them while riding."

So we have to fit them on the wing mirror now???????

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

That's a crock of horse manure! I like to be able to see mine so I can spot any nasty junctions or really tight curves. What about bikes like the R1200RT & other tourers who's satnav mounts are built in above the clocks?

3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

The riders just turn to face the police man which instancely puts it out of view :) problem solved lol

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

What are Satnavs for ? ... Knobheads... If that us the ruling, they should move your clocks out of the 45Deg view too... What cock thought this up... ? I really hate repeating myself.... f@&*ing Knobheads.

Roadwart likes this.
  5. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

6. MaDProFF

I do seriously think the people who write these laws actually do not drive, or have not driven enough to actually give them a true experience of how to drive, it is a skill like everything else, though you cannot have one law I suppose for one and another law for the other idiots, the ones who drive for the first time and hammer down the road putting their lipstick on with one hand, and mobile in the other.

As for your list in the article you wrote, it just contradicts itself in every possible way. so ok to use a 2 way radio, I.E. CB??? you can make a call if stationary, but with engine switched of as if you are stationary you are moving still according to some idiot, so with stop start engines you will be fine :).Smoking they never seem to include that do they, must be all those law writers smoke

Anyhow, I don't use a Sat Nav, I read a map between my legs still while driving, no one can see that :p it is a Skill an Art Form long lost now days because of Sat Navs

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  7. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I wrote the article based on the law as it currently stands so I am just the messenger, but as you say it is written with the common denominater of the most stupid and thick road users out there in mind.

It might be frustrating to you as a skilled road user, but 99% of the motoring public fall into the thick category which is why the bar has to be set quite low so as to be fair to everyone.

8. BlackHornet

98 %
    The other 2 % ride bikes ;)

It would be interesting to know how the law would work with regards to stop start engines though :shrug:

9. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

Very simple....If the vehicle is in a queue of traffic (as an example), then the fact that the ignition is still turned on, it is deemed as the engine still running.

The engine has to be turned off, which means that the ignition has to be turned off.

Hope that helps?

10. BlackHornet

not really, you see I don't have a key so the ignition is on once I open the door so in theory I could be parked on a narrow high street and therefore still have a queue behind me yet with no intention of driving :shrug:In fact my ignition can stay on for a period even after I have parked if I want to use the get me home light function, without me being in the car.

Therefore it would mean the only difference being parked or stopped can be intention :rolleyes: depending on where of course.

11. MaDProFF

I don't have an ignition key either, it is key less, the ignition is effectively on once in the car, and in traffic the stop start will cut out the engine. Anyhow there is no reason to use a phone in the car, get BT, and even now with Apple Play you can read texts and reply using the in car system, and voice activation with mic.

12. MaDProFF

13. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Divs...at least it's clarified though.

14. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

Then it goes back to my original point that if you are in a queue of traffic (as opposed to clearly being parked) and you are seen to be using a hand held, then the offence will complete. I understand what you are saying, but a degree of common sense has to be applied by the copper as well

The circumstances are going to vary and so it can become subjective, and at the moment there has not been a lot of case law, so...... How about a pubic service excercise and put your theory to the test and see how you fair on conviction and appeal :sneaky: ;) and then let us all know how you got on. :) :thumbsup: :whistle:

15. BlackHornet

woohoo not that I have a sat nav on the bike :)

But applying common sense makes a grey area :D:D:D as referred to in my previous post :thumbsup::thumbsup:

It could have been a very good law if only it had had a good lawyer wording it rather than leaving it open. It's not like stop start cars are new, or phones for that matter.

As for preforming a service exercise I would but along with the keyless stuff it turns out I have hands free :p:p

16. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

Then the problem goes away :)

Remember though with a sat nav or a phone in a cradle, you are allowed to press one button to activate or deactivate just as you would were you changing a channel on the car radio or turning it off

It is the physical holding and using of the hand held device that causes the issue not a device that is hands free or on bluetooth.

So with a sat nav, so long as you are not inputting data wholst on the move, you won't have an issue anyway.