1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Sat Nav Recommendations

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by T.C, Apr 17, 2017.

1. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I have a Navman sat nav which I use in the car, has given me brilliant service but after 12 years use and faithfull service at least, it is now coming to the end of its life and is going to be decommisioned (or put in the wife's car as a back up ;))

So, I am after some recommendations from the colective as to what might be a good up to date replacement?

I am only going to use it in the car. I do not need loads of fancy gimmicks apps or wi fi connectivity and all that rubbish. I am not looking ot fork out a kings ransom for something I will only use a small percentage of.

So...Any thoughts?

2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

A £70 Tom tom is fine for the car. Life time map updates and covers Europe.

T.C likes this.
  3. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I agree with BH. Mrs has a tomtom & other than it seems to "leak" power if not used for a few days so needs to be topped up, shes happy with it.

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I wouldn't really bother with a dedicated Satnav for the car. If you have a smart phone, I would download an App called WAZE for free. It has no ads or annoying stuff. It's been bought by Google sometime ago. If you have programmed your route while connected to wifi or mobile data, then it will still navigate without connectivity once on the go should you lose connection.
    It is also a live traffic system rerouting you should it find a quicker way.

You can also send eta's to people and they can then track your progress, add a stop enroute...

I use it all the time in my car, with an appropriate phone holder. Worthwhile getting a cigarette charger though as it does suck juice if the screen is left on to navigate for hours...

It doesn't use much data either.

deano81, lammyR6 and Tony like this.
  5. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I hear what you are saying, but I refuse to have internet connection on my phone. My phone is for making and receiving calls plus the occasional text and photo, laptop is for internet connection, sat nav is for telling me how to get to my destinations.

On top of that, I am not like you young whipper snappers [​IMG] and all clued up on all this technology stuff. Remember, some of us are old and have not grown up with this stuff like you lot have.

I want to stick with what I know

Stars and Stripes likes this.
  6. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

ha ha , most of us are old on here lol, I certainly would use a smart phone Co pilot can down load maps and does not need internet connection, use Wi Fi to install, but I did download WAZE just for a laugh as Gareth said, and it is actually very good, and very easy to use, plus it uses contacts as well for addresses.
    with smart phones, it is a sat nav, and is replacing original sat navs now. Waze even warns you of speed cameras.

7. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I am happy with my TomTom. I think I would just confuse myself and my phone too lol.

BlackHornet and T.C like this.