1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Dilema... Views/opinions Appreciated

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by T.C, Jun 26, 2017.

1. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I am in a bit of a quandary and I have concluded that it is something that I may be better off getting a different opinon/view on the matter from a different perspective.

I am a founder member from 30+ years ago of an advanced driving and riding group. It is quite a large group.

For many years I did all the lecture sessions on Roadcraft, I advised tutors (both car and bike) sat on the committee, but time contraints meant that I could not give it the attention it required or deserved and so after about 10 years or so, I stood down but I was always on hand to offer advice if and when required, and I was given honourary life membership of the group.

Subsequently, over the years I have gone back as guest speaker, but this weekend I received an email from the president of the group saying that the current chairperson was stepping down in September, would I be prepared to consider being put forward or considered as the new chairman of the group.

I am very flattered obviously, but the more I think about it, the more I think that to accept the offer to even be put forward would be wrong even though I do now have more time on my hands.

I have not been active in the group for a long time.

There are members and committee members who have been not only active but given up a lot of time to promote the group who are probably more deserving.

My appointment could cause a lot of animosity amongst members who may not be aware of my history or background with the group even though from what I am aware I would be the first chairman qualified on both cars as well as bikes..

There are other potential issues that might arise if I were to accept the nomination.

So what would be your views?

Say to hell with it and just accept the nomination and see what happens?

Just say thank you for being considered but gracefully decline the offer?

Anything that I may have overlooked or not considered given my very brief explanation above.

Views and comments appreciated

2. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

The good thing about a Chairperson it is your presence, input, and final decision making plus delegation is the most you would have to do in general, most other positions require far more work, and input.

May be there was a reason you were asked, i.e a power struggle that would have ended badly from other members with in the group, or with your past experience you are the best person, as at the end of the day you find the best person who could do the job.

That all said I assume you are put forward, seconded and then have to win a vote, (if someone else has been put forward) so do you think you have the support at the AGM from other members?

You do think you have something to offer that will improve the group, and would enjoy the challenge, if so go for it.

Beelady, Roadwart and BlackHornet like this.
  3. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

I am with Brett on this. If you would enjoy it and be able to help them then go for it.

Anyone who might object would soon come around if you are a positive role model.

Roadwart likes this.
  4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I'm with @MaDProFF & @BlackHornet on this one. For the current president to contact you directly, you must already hold some fairly high esteem within the upper echelons of the group. If you think you now have the extra bit of time to commit, then why not? If you decide after you don't like it, you can always step down again.