1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Need To Get A Better Picture

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by T.C, Jul 6, 2017.

?

Who has been involved in a crash caused as a result of loose gravel or poor re-surfacing?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2017.
  1. Involved in an injury crash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Involved in a damage only crash

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. I have not been involved directly but I know people who have

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  4. Been involved in more than one crash caused by loose gravel or poor re-surfacing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

You may recall a few weeks ago I asked what campaign you would like to see run relative to motorcycling safety.

The overwhelming feedback I got was loose gravel and poor re-surfacing/re-dressing of road surfaces. Something that has not been looked at much in the past.

Well, we are looking to at this as our potential motorcycle safety campaign for 2017. However, in order to get some decent ammunition, I need to get an idea of how many people have been affected by poorly resurfaced roads and/or loose chippings. This does not include pot holes which is a different issue and which already has various campaigns up and running.

So, you response to the poll/survey would be appreciated, and also an indication as to whether you would be prepared to share your story for our website and campaign material, whatever that might be when decided on.

2. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I know we have 2 members on the forum who came a cropper on newly laid gravel. One of them still has a case pending I believe. I do have photos of the state of the gravel that day. I don't know if they will want to post so won't name them but I will have a look next week and see what I have that is relevant.

lisa lou likes this.
  3. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

I can't remember if i replied to the first thread, but the one that gets me is how farmers get away with leaving crap all over the roads!!! By the time it's all mushed into the tarmac it's like a skating rink.

lisa lou likes this.
  4. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

certainly more than a few close calls / lucky escapes and was the following bike when the two in front hit the deck, Still amazed at Lammy's skills of staying upright

lisa lou and lammyR6 like this.
  5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

I have a front buckled Rim as evidence, Council refused to pay out, I have had a few slides on gravel, one particular very bad one on a bend I was very lucky with a little bit of skill to stop the slide into the kerb. Then there was the time I came home with Lammy from abroad, and Udimore road section very badly marked after intermittent road works in the dark and hit loads of gravel luckily going in a straight line, it went on for a few miles in sections of nothing to suddenly deep gravel across the road.
    I could guess a regular Rider especially in the country side will have a story about mud, gravel etc. on the roads.

lisa lou likes this.
  6. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

Just a quick bounce job as the poll ends on Sunday and then we can make a decision

lisa lou likes this.
  7. Lightweight

Lightweight Sport Tourer +

Should you add, 'didn't crash but was bloody lucky not to', to the poll?

Beelady likes this.
  8. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

As lightweight said

9. Beelady

Beelady British Superbike +

Agree with lightweight. The sight of a newly surfaced road strikes real fear into my heart. Hate the stuff.