1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Modifications And Insurance- Should I, Shouldn’t I?

Discussion in 'Mechanical' started by Rev, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Rev

Rev Race Rep +

So I’m looking at doing a couple of upgrades to the tracer, exhaust and ecu re-map/flash. Question is, do I tell insurance company and will it make a difference? Exhaust is road legal and not extremely load (believe) and the ecu will just be to smooth the bike out. I’m guessing the insurance company will say an upgrade is an upgrade and put a price on it. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Many thanks.

Mikey likes this.
  2. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

with insurance companies looking for excuses to never pay out these days i would declare the can.
    the re map is just a tune up and you wouldn't tell a insurance company if you balanced the carbs ;)

Rev likes this.
  3. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I agree with Tom. I have declared the twin pipes on my R6. Because they don't affect the performance of the bike it didn't change the cost of my insurance. However, not declaring them could be a get out for the company if a claim were to be made.

Roadwart and Rev like this.
  4. Rev

Rev Race Rep +

Cool makes sense, thanks muchly

5. MaDProFF

MaDProFF World Superbike +

"You bought the bike with the Can on" as for the remap, they would never know as long as there is no Hardware Change.

Some Insurances do not load on Slip on Exhausts as long as it does not increase power by I think like 5%, if a full System maybe different as It can increase power etc.

Of Course if you spend a shed load on an exhaust etc. the value will be lost for sure unless you told the Insurance Company.

Maybe best to ask Alan :p

Mikey likes this.
  6. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member Moderator +

I added my end can to my insurance before I actually got it, it did not add to the premium.
    I’m sure they will find some administration charge, to add during a policy..

7. Rev

Rev Race Rep +

Thanks. I had that conversation with @Mikey this morning and the whole the can was already on the bike did come up. I think I’ll just call to sound them out.

8. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Yes declare it. When i bought my latest bike it didn't make any difference with an end can. If i remember correctly they allowed up to five mods without a change of premium. They will use anything to get out of a claim.

Roadwart, BlackHornet and Mikey like this.