1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Insurance Quote *oddities*

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by GixxerGilly, Sep 1, 2011.

1. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

Just done renewal quotes for my car
    Money supermarket ... Sheilas Wheels ----- £187.00
    Same info input into
    Compare the Market -- Sheials Wheels ------ £166.00

:think1: :think1: :think1:

2. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

& when you click the link to apply you get a different quote from the Sheila's Wheels!!

3. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

nope both where what the main page said but I cant understand why 2 different compare sites come up with Sheilas Wheels as cheapest and the info i entered was identical for each one yet the Sheials wheels came out cheapest both times with 2 total different prices . :think1:

4. Phatboyslimming

Phatboyslimming Moped +

Different amounts of commission !!!!
    Don't forget the comparison sites are thier to make money too :)

5. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Commission I expect Gill. These comparison sites must get it in some form or another.

6. SteveeP

SteveeP Sport Tourer +

Yep, commission rates will be the difference. These sites exist by getting referral fees and Compare the Market being much larger than Moneysupermarket can probably afford to take a lower cut.

7. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

well allround I am pleased only £16 dearer than last year :)

8. Andy

Andy Learner

Just had a renewal notice for my car, over £600! That's on a 1.6 diesel skoda and me being 31 with no claims or points or anything. I won't say who it's with but they can take their blue and White value insurance and poke it, no more hints people.

I did a compare the meerkat and got a much more appealing £230 quote. simples. Just hope I get my cuddly toy, the dog needs a new one.

Hanna and GixxerGilly like this.
  9. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

fek me @ the £600 quote !!!!! Mine s 1600 Metro and past 2 years had been round the £150 mark so the 166 is swallowable

10. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

I want a meerkat cuddly toy... car insurance due in December...

11. Roadwart

Just remember everyone. The tip that came from the insurance guru that is Pink Dino. If you use a comparison site, use a false phone no. to stop unwanted marketing calls.

GixxerGilly and Hanna like this.
  12. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I allways use my mobile number for online *input fields* - and my hotmail address - which I maybe check once a year ..

13. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

Second year quotes often go up dramatically because they keep the quote for new business as low as possible... then hope you won't check the renewal price too carefully.

14. Roughie

Roughie Street Fighter +

go figure... its the same as the variation from 250 quid to 1200 quid ... how the hell they work that out

15. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I have always found the comparison sites to be over the top on their quotes, and as mentioned, clearly that is down to the commission figures.

I have business use included on my car policy, and the comparison sites vary from £420 to £600.

For the past 3 years or so I have had my policy with Churchill who I have to say I have been very happy with and who have provided good cover at what I consider a reasonable cost.

However, Saga kept writing to me stating that as I was over 50 they would be happy to give me a quote that would substantially undercut any other quotes I had received.

So I gave then the chance to quote. 52 years old, full NCB, no convictions, advanced qualifications, business use, 2009 Jaguar.

The price they quoted? £840!!!! :eek:

So that is what the regard as substantially uncercutting the competition?

Anyway, long story short. Churchill don't appear to be on the comparison sites, and when I brought the Jag new in 2009 quoted me £200 a year comprehensive with business use included, which I thouught was reasonable considering it was a brand new car and I have business use.

Over the past 2 years, the price has risen by a staggering £7 (£3.50 a year) :eek: which I think is disgusting ;)

I have the wifes 04 diesel C-Max with Churchill as well, and her premium has actually dropped by a few quid every year, although to be fair she only does about 2 or 3,000 miles a year.

So thumbs up to Churchill from me :thumbsup:

As a by the by, many insurers offer free legal expenses insurance. The reality is that although they may say it is free, it is aborbed into the cost of the policy and actually adds anything between £20 and £50 to the premium.

If you click the No LEI box on the quotes, watch the premium drop.

At the end of the day, LEI is a con.

If you have a crash which is your fault, your insurers will sort out and pay out the third party. If it is someone elses fault and you are injured, then you still get free legal representation under a no win no fee agreement (Conditional Fee Agreement to give it its proper name), but you choose your own solicitor in an area of your choosing, as opposed to a panel firm who usually use paralegals or legal execs at the opposite end of the country.

Sorry for digressing :red:

16. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

well regarding my original post . didn't realise I was with Sheials wheels last year ! and the renewal came in from them today £156 - a bloody tenner cheaper than the one I opted for and bloody paid yest WITH Sheials wheels !!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Spin likes this.
  17. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

a happy ending to this story --- Shealis Wheels (my new insurers) need my proof of NCB from my previous insuers (Shelias Wheels) so I rung them and said I have just taken out anew policy (£11 dearer than my renewal) with Sheials Wheels and the *lovely Darren* said thats no prob -- will cancel the new policy and reimburse -- and al I need do is renew (as they have my NCB) details -- so thats that . all done for £156 -- happy bunny here :)

18. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

I want To Gocompare as i want a Meerkat ...

19. Roadwart

Erm... you realise its comparethemarket that give meerkats?