1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Bike Insurance?

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by Ducky, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

My Bandit is up for renewal so I'm in limbo as to if I bother tagging on all the extras I did last year...:rolleyes:

Currently I have the following:
    Helmet + Leathers Cover
    Legal Expenses
    UK Breakdown
    Personal Accident Cover

And the renewal is £179.54

However if I dump the extras the renewal is £67...:eek: so I'm wondering if I really need the above as some of the clauses mention payout if 'non-fault' so I'm thinking if I spoon it half of the options will be redundant anyway....?

There also seems to be plenty of legal people out there (White Dalton for example) who would pick up a case...but if it was my fault I guess they would want payment from me rather than the other party.

What do you think, should I take the cheaper quote and pocket a few extra pennies or keep the legal cover too?
    :)

2. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

For me, in a 'normal' financial situation it would really depends on the saving and reasons for me doing it. Normally, the bottom line would have to be.. if its affordable and gives peace of mind then its worth it..... However............

Ive never had Helmet and leather cover on the basis im assuming any damage to the gear would not be my fault and consequently a non fault claim. On deeper 'more honest' reflection, its more true to say 75% of my total biking damage has been my fault and ive absorbed/considered, cost as penance/learning experience. Also true to say ive never bothered with the full one piece kit and accessories although it can look great and i accept the differance in level of protection but consequently my financial outlay is much less so never took out cover...

Trying to be concise... If it were me and i needed to cut expenditure...the beemer and gear,, keep it all.
    Work hack... and im assuming an accident while commuting is much more likely to be a third party fault than yours, probably with several witnesses, dump everything apart from the UK breakdown, which im guessing could well be covered by your car/Beemer policy?

Legal cover in an accident can be a ''free''- ''solicitors for you'' type scenario but there could well be grey areas that they would not take as cases...

Hope some of this is food for thought, or helps you reflect on your situation,, if not i can at least take some pleasure in knowing ive wasted 5 mins of your Sunday reading this, ,,,,,,,,,,,, ;) Time youll never retrieve.. :hah:

Ducky likes this.
  3. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Cheers Kev, I'm thinking along the same lines....and breakdown isn't really a problem with my daily commute (know a man with a van etc). Just trying to cut down on how much I hand over to insurance companies if I can help it, fed up of them loading my policies and not seeing any benefits from it. :thumbsdown:

4. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

Legal expenses cover is a waste of time - in the experience of a friend, they sent a couple of solicitors letters and when they produced no result simply stopped corresponding. You're better off going with your own choice of solicitor if you think there's need to pursue a claim.

Recovery - how likely are you to break down? You also need to check T&Cs of the recovery service, as some charge if you have an accident.

5. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Well think that pretty much sums it up as a 'pocketing the pennies' option for renewal! :thumbsup:

6. gixerpaulk5

gixerpaulk5 Off Roader +

Got both my bike insurance policies up for renewal this month, renewal was £160 for the gixer,well it was until i mentioned it was in a shed instead of a garage. they then said £700 ???? , even though i said the shed had a ground anchor ,locks top and bottom,chained to another bike, chained 6ft gates,then a 2.5ft width ally way for 10meters to another chained gate, They just said they had no catorgory for that so would have to class it as being on the road, i then just hung up!
    sorry for hijacking ur thread Chris

7. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

No worries dude, unfortunately with insurance it seems that unless what you have shows up on the system, you get stiffed as you've found out. :thumbsdown: On the plus side I got my Bandit insured for £57 in the end. :thumbsup:

Hanna likes this.
  8. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Mine was the same - £70 basic, £170 with European breakdown. I made the mistake of ticking the box to say I used an approved high quality chain (at the station during the day and at night) and saying the bike is garaged. Garaging was not a problem, they just put a condition on to say if the bike was stolen within 200 yards of the house while not garaged, then the excess is doubled. I thought that was fair, given that I had received a discount.

For the chain, they said 'no cover for theft if the security device is not fitted'. It is the same wording used for immobilisers and alarms which you never remove so is fair enough, but for a chain!!??? I queried it and they said it was right, so I got the policy changed to remove any mention of the chain! :rant:

9. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

What would stop you saying it was chained up when it was nicked though, even if it wasn't? :whistle:

10. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

just a note to this ==they use Google street thingy aswell to check if their is a garage on premises ............ for those that say their car/bike is garaged . Then you have to say you rent a garage elsewhere --then they want copy of payment/rent book :-(

11. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I mentioned this in another topic, but legal expenses is a total waste of space.

What I said was -

As a by the by, many insurers offer free legal expenses insurance. The reality is that although they may say it is free, it is aborbed into the cost of the policy and actually adds anything between £20 and £50 to the premium.

If you click the No LEI box on the quotes, watch the premium drop.

At the end of the day, LEI is a con.

If you have a crash which is your fault, your insurers will sort out and pay out the third party. If it is someone elses fault and you are injured, then you still get free legal representation under a no win no fee agreement (Conditional Fee Agreement to give it its proper name), but you choose your own solicitor in an area of your choosing, as opposed to a panel firm who usually use paralegals or legal execs at the opposite end of the country.

More people have issues with LEI policies after a crash than anything else. One of the main reasons is that you have no say over who handles your case, in many cases it will be a Paralegal or Legal exec not a solicitor, you will simply be a number on a conveyor belt, and because they get paid by the insurers regardless of whether they win or lose, they are not really bothered about you, which is why often people who use panel law firms often have their claims seriously undervalued.

So dropping LEI can not only save you money on your premium, but also save you an awful lot of grief in the worst case scenario.

ramrider and Ducky like this.
  12. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

nicely cleared up, i won't be clicking that on my renewal :thumbsup:

13. Yoda

Yoda Sport Tourer + Site Supporter

My Gixxer is up on 21 of this Month £198.00 Full comp Leather & Helmet & Personal Acidentd Cover - Not bad have not even Bothered to shop around

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Taking this into account, I opted out of LEI on my car quote today, plus courtesy car and a bunch of other tosh too.

Ended up with first years insurance on a value agreed 1275, fully comp for a pleasent £575. Happy with that!

Yoda likes this.
  15. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Holy good gravy! How do you guys have such cheap insurance??? Is this all fully comp and with how many years NCB? I have 4 years NCB and fully comp and with all the extras except helmet/leather cover, Im paying £440 on the R1.

16. Hanna

Hanna Street Fighter +

Location location location... you live in London - automatically much more expensive!

17. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I was paying £440 F/C on my 3litre S-Type with full protected NCB. I`m paying about £200-ish (don`t know exactly without checking) on my XVS1300 with 2 years NCB.

As Hanna said, location has a great deal to do with it.

18. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

It also helps to be old or nearly old ;)

I pay £140 FC on the Blackbird, and my 2009 X-Type with business use costs me £150 a year fully comp

Which I have to say, I think is quite reasonable

Roadwart likes this.
  19. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Tanya, dump the extras as mentioned in this thread and you'll probably save £100! :thumbsup:

20. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

yeah, it was like 370 without the extras but still nowhere near 100 quid like you are guys are paying. Gah!