1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

pillions

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by niki, Sep 8, 2011.

1. niki

niki Off Roader +

I will be taking a pillion for the first time since I have rode a bike and would like some advice about how is best to get on doing it..The guy I'm taking is my best friend and its a first for him too he's 6ft and lanky but now overly heavy..

Phatboyslimming likes this.
  2. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Firstly, tell him to sit the f*ck still!

Don't ask him to try and move with you (he won't anyway), a static weight is much easier to anticipate than one wildly flailing around trying to impersonate Rossi.
    First bends the bike won't turn, this is because he'll be trying to climb off the other side of the bike. After that, once he relaxes a little the bike will turn in much faster than usual as he leans with it, but you'll quickly compensate.

Acceleration will be slower (a bit), braking will be slower (a lot), think bike test braking unless you have a penchant for being headbutted.
    Where to hold is personal preference, I always prefered an arm around the waist (for going) and the other hand on the tank (for stopping), that said I only took chicks so didn't mind a hand near my nuts!

Keep smooth, rain riding style.
    Safety wise, make sure your headlights still aim at the road. I took a rather robust friend on the back years ago and the lights were clipping the top of 25' road signs!

Oh, check your tyre pressures too. If they're low it'll be like riding in treacle.

3. niki

niki Off Roader +

Ive been told to add extra 2-3 psi over the norm for the pillion.I'll take him on a couple of test runs around the block to get both of us in the right frame of mind and in tune with what its like..

4. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

That depends on what you normally run at ;)

I've never changed my tyre pressures for taking a pillion, or preload for that matter as I didn't do it often enough to warrant it.
    Noticing a 3psi difference is highly unlikely on the road in the first place, let alone while getting used to a weight on the back.

5. Spin

Spin Street Fighter +

This might help...

The tyre pressure settings will be on a sticker on the bike somewhere, usually on the chain guard or under the seat. I don't know what the bike is but whilst a radial doesn't tend to notice the difference between a passenger and a solo rider, if the bike's a small one with fairly narrow tubed tyres, it will make a difference. It's also easy to tweak the preload on a twin shock set up, on a monoshock it's usually a PITA.

6. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

I like it when Spin agrees with me, makes me look like I know what I'm talking about. :cool:

GixxerGilly likes this.
  7. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Just take it steady for a while Niki. Youll find when slowing to a stop or slow filtering, the extra weight will make a BIG difference to the handling, balance, braking and steering, even in a straight line. Also when pulling away, the front may feel very light and twitchy. This is nothing to unduly worry about, but just to be aware of n you'l soon get used to it.

You may want to check your manufacturers setting for the suspension too as it could bottom out with the extra load when hitting bumps and feel very spongy...
    That said, i quite often take pillions on the Harley from skinny girls to some of my fat mates... Its a great laugh and a very differant aspect of riding.. Have Fun & Good Luck.. :tup:

8. ramrider

ramrider Race Rep +

and if your confidence has grown and your going into corners as if your solo his probably fallen off

Skortchio likes this.
  9. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

These are MY pillion rules. They may not be the correct procedure but they work for me.

1. Pillion is NOT to get on or off the bike without my say so. Nothing worse than your bike tipping over coz you`re not ready.
    2. Lean forwards slightly as the pillion gets on or off. If you don`t, there`s a good chance you will get head butted.
    3. Once on, pillions feet stay on the pegs/foot boards, even at lights & junctions.
    4. New pillions I prefer to hold me round the waist. This helps them get used to leaning with the bike & not fighting it.
    5. I tell them to look over my left shoulder when leaning left & vice versa. Again, this stops them fighting the bike.
    6. As others have said, Make sure you adjust tyre pressures, light aim & suspension to manufacturers recommendations for pillion carrying. I`m lucky as mine are the same for both.
    7. Plan overtakes with more care, you won`t have the same acceleration as you are used to.
    8. Brake in plenty of time as the extra weight will make stopping harder.
    In general, take your time & all should be dandy!

10. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

My pillion rule list is a lot shorter:
    1. Remove the seat and replace with seat cover
    2. Remove rear foot pegs
    3. Job done! no-one will ever ask you for a lift again and if they do, a simple "I'm sorry, I have no rear seat" will end that discussion :D

11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

You forgot:

4. Become airbourne at every opportunity to reinforce the fact that It's a really bad idea!

:hug:

Welcome home ;)

12. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Alternatively, next time someone asks for a lift, just say "you look great! the world's your oyster!" I miss Tommy Cooper :)

Skortchio likes this.
  13. niki

niki Off Roader +

well to have him on the bike I've got to put the seat on and replace the pillion hangers but tyre pressure is marked on the chain guard with both pillion and solo pressures so thats sorted as for suspension its rock hard as its a 600 gsxr so they like you braking your arse at every bump.as for the light as normal it like a night sun as many a car driver in strood and rochester will vouch as it lights from floor to roof top as i got to work..

But as you've all said I'll take it slow and steady and not get too over confident to soon..

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Preload doesn't govern how harsh the ride is, ;)

15. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

My only tips would be:-
    Stop at every junction... get both feet down.... and then pull away.
    Ride smoothly and steadily until your passenger know your "normal" riding style ( this also avoids you being headbutted from behind)

16. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

pillions :eek: don't do it.
    take it easy to start, showing off what your bike can do will show just what you can't do. allow extra time and space for everything.
    then find and emtpy road and nail it :hah: please ingore this last peice of advice if yoy like your pillion as it's a known way of leaving them behind:p

17. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

Riding without a pillion is the way to go...

18. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Go really really really fast and when you suddenly hear this "whooooooooooooaaaaaa" sound and your bike feels 13 stone lighter....mission accomplished :devil: :D

19. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I have some "Love Handles" if you wanna borrow em ???:)

20. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

ermm..just another thing..are you insured for a pillion rider ?

Roadwart likes this.