1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

pillions

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by niki, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor Off Roader +

The insurance is a main check, I am covered for pillion use on the cruiser, but not on the daytona. Intentionally, I have to add.;)

2. LATE

LATE Street Fighter +

I find Suzuki's recommendation of 42psi in the rear to harsh 2 up on my gixer, try 39psi ;)

as you say, the suspension will be fine on solo settings

3. niki

niki Off Roader +

I checked my insurance and rang them to add pillion as I did not have it added a whole £8 to my monthly payments.So if all go's well with my mate will get the wife to come out with me on a run..As for tyre pressure I'm running rennsports and they reccommend 40psi so will take him out on a test run.

hoppielimp likes this.
  4. niki

niki Off Roader +

well I took my 10 year old son out on the bike today and we both enjoyed it so will be taking him out more....

Sporty1200 and Roadwart like this.
  5. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Good show Niki! I know a lot of people here don`t or won`t take pillions for various reasons so its good to see someone else riding 2 up. :thumbsup:

6. niki

niki Off Roader +

we both got some things to get used to like me braking a little bit earlier and my son not figiting and headbutting me as he looks round lol

7. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I find using a little more rear brake helps to limit that happening.

8. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

• Give your pillion complete instructions before you hit the road – no matter how experienced a pillion they are, every rider has a different style
    • Confirm how you are going to communicate on the road
    • If your pillion is inexperienced warn them about the hot areas on the bike like your exhaust
    • Remember that with a passenger your motorcycle will most likely accelerate slower, take longer to stop and be more unstable at slow speeds, when cornering and going round bends. Adjust to the passenger's weight before you accelerate too much. The extra load will change the way the motorcycle balances, turns, speeds up and slows down
    • Keep more distance between yourself and vehicles on either side of you. Look for larger gaps whenever when in traffic
    • Warn your passenger when you intend to start moving, stop quickly, turn sharply or ride over a bump, and direct them to hold on tight whenever you're approaching surface problems or are about to start from a stop
      • Tyres – Check you bike manual for suggested tyre pressure when about to embark on the pillion ride
      • Suspension – Adjust your rear suspension to balance the extra weight - Check your owner’s manual about this
      • Mirrors – Your mirrors might have to be adjusted slightly for a better view
      • Headlights – With the extra weight the bike might sit closer to the ground so your headlights might need adjusting

9. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Using a little less initial brake is what you need, just touch on the brake so the front end compresses then apply more bite. It will take out the rocking motion.
    You're right though in it being a learning experience.
    As RW says, trailing the rear brake as you initially touch the front will eliminate the headbutts too, just let it off again after so you're not dragging it the whole way.

10. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Nice copy / paste work there, Gill.

Something I used to employ when riding 2 up was giving indication of direction changes (handy for those 2-up knee downs).
    A tap on the left left for left, right leg for right.

Also works for them giving directions to you. ;)

11. helrazzer

helrazzer Learner

i must admit everytime i leave home on my bike and my daughter is at home she insists on coming if its not her my stepson comes with me i enjoy the company and it does not seem to make handling any diff but thats because im used to it i suppose ))

12. niki

niki Off Roader +

I explained to him the do's and don'ts before we left home but as with all kids that was forgotten about 5 mins after we left lol..but he enjoyed the experiance and it will improve the more we go out.