1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

IAM Institute of Advanced Motoring

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by R1 Chickie, Sep 14, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Has anyone used them? I signed up and did my assessment day and according to them, Im pants! Never mind that BikeSafe cops said I was an excellent rider, as did the one who pulled me for speeding :) I know I need to work on my cornering and get that irrational fear Ive developed out of my head but overall, Im pretty happy with my riding and like everyone, I have good days and bad days. I just found the whole thing bollocks, the guy who took me rode like old people have sex and just sucked all the fun out of biking. I should mention that I had to follow him home because I didnt know my way back and he did 2 dangerous manoeuvres that I would never have considered doing! These guys were dull and seem to have forgotten that biking is about being that little bit of a daredevil, feeling the freedom and speed that the machine delivers. I just walked away thinking why do these guys bother with riding, they may as well stick to a a car or scooter and I probably wont do the exam. Anyone else done it and what did you think?

2. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Not used them myself but have a chat with Spin (if you haven`t already). He runs his "bends" course & everyone who has done them always gives VERY positive feedback.

Spin likes this.
  3. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Yeah, Im doing Spins course and to be honest, I wish I had just signed up for that in the first place and not wasted my money on IAM

4. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

As an advanced examiner, I see a whole of variety of standards from the very poor to the very good.

Like all things, you will get good and bad invall walks and advanced instruction is certainly no different.

There are two issues though IMO

Bikesafe is meant simply an introduction to the principals of advanced riding, althouugh many people believe that it is or treat it as a full advanced course. Many of the Bikesafe Instructors are not even class 1 or 2 advanced ticket holders let alone instructors, and so they do not have the knowledge to assess and critique in a constructive manner.

With the IAM, the quality of instruction you receive is very much down to pot luck as to who you get allocated as your observer.

There are some very good IAM and RoSPA observers, there are some who think they are good simply because they have collected the badge.

However, the bottom line is that withing manny groups, the instructional ability and knowledge often gets watered down further down the chain you go, and so if you end up with a newly qualified rider, or a power junkie (for want of a better word) then the chances are you will end up with someone who will end up simply wasting your time.

I had a guy on test a few weeks ago whose riding was to say the least questionable on a whole number of issues. 20 minutes into the ride i pulled him over and asked if that was his natural ride? He replied that he was riding the way he had been taught by his IAM instructor, which he found confusing and counter productive and difficult to apply.

So I told him to ride as he had before taking instruction and it was a revelation. he was smooth, progressive, good positioning, good awareness and observation, it really was like chalk and cheese.

So, all I would say is please do not judge advanced riding juust onthis one idiot. Ask if you can go out with a few other observers and see if there is any difference, and then make a judgement. It may be a trait of that particular group. I see the results of many groups and some of them really are excellent.

5. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

T.C., are you still an observer? Whereabouts are you based?

6. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

I no longer instruct at local level.

These days I only do overseas training to the likes of the Police in Singapore, Malaysia and so on.

In the UK, I only examine.

I live in Reading.

7. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I did my IAM training and test a few years ago. I had a local instructor who wasn't "up his own ar$e" like a lot of them! During my test, the examiner wanted me to make "good progress" at all times, even in traffic. I passed OK , but I don't ride like I did to pass my test. I use some of their principles, but not all of them. I don't profess to be a good rider, but I know bad, dangerous riding when I see it! I think IAM allows you to pick up some good tips and techniques , but not all you need to still enjoy fast riding , with a certain amount of risk attached.

8. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Ah, because Im going to try and change my IAM "cell" so I can have a different set of instructors. Reading eh? One of my favourite rideouts is do the route from Windsor, Bracknell, Marlow, Henley and the rest :)

9. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

You make a valid point.

There are instructors out there who will tell you that you have to ride a certain way because that is what it says in the book, rather than qualifiying why things "can" be better if done a certain way.

However, the key to any improvement in riding skills is to take on board all the information you are given, consider it, and then put into practice the elements that best suits you or you think is relevant and will help you.

At advanced level, nothing is cast in stone, and no two riders will ride the same, and that includes the way they assess and deal with hazards.

All the test does is prove thhat you can ride in a certain way for the duration of the test, similar to the L test where the candidate proves to the examiner that for 40 minutes or so they are capable of riding to a set of paramiters laid down by the DSA.

Quite often on test I will come up alongside a candidate 10 or 15 minutes into the test agt say traffic lights, say to them "You have passed, now ride" and the transformation can be staggering as the candidate relaxes and shows me what they are really capable of.

There is riding to a test standard, and then there is riding. The two are not always linked, but the key elements will always be to the fore, the bits inbetween are fairly insignificant providing it is safe.

Russell likes this.
  10. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

One thing I was told on both passing my car & bike test was "You`ve learnt to pass the test, now you learn for the real world"

11. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Ive always wondered why they dont just use RoSPA standards as the standard to which you have to pass your test!

12. Russell

Russell Race Rep +

I am considering doing IAM, I have a local club just down the road in Boreham Street and they do open days once a month so was going to pop down and see whether I got on with them or not...

On another note Tanya, the girlfriend lives about 20 minutes from Reading so feel free to post ride outs in that area as we might be available to join in :)

13. T.C

T.C Custom cruiser +

The argument has always been quantity over quality ;) and research by the IAM suggested 90% of those tested would not bother to retake their test onec they passed their IAM test.

As a RoSPA examiner (and former IAM examiner) I have to say that the difference between the two standards is quite marked at the lower end, although those who are good regardless of organisation are very very good.

The various organisations are supposed to train to the same level, but the reality is again the training is only as good as the instruction given, and most untrained riders would in many cases I suspect would not be any the wiser, but whether you take a test or not is irelevant by and large, it is whether the recipient can feel the benefits and can therefore appreciate that their riding or their knowledge has improved.

14. megawatt

I did my IAM from Boreham street Russ. Some good people there and unfortunately some "up their own ar$eholes". Can't remember names , but if you get a good un you will enjoy it!

15. Ducky

Ducky Quackers! +

Did you go flying again? :giggle:

But on a more serious note, you're not the first I've heard to echo those sort of comments about the IAM, but I guess it only takes a few set in their ways to tarnish a reputation. :thumbsdown:

16. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

Yeah me to many moons ago in Horam before they were at Boreham street. I got asked to go along by a guy who worked next to me who had passed his test the previous year and did his IAM thought he was a riding god and couldnt ride a bike to save his life:thumbsdown: i found 90% of them to be plonkers but as Mega sez Russ get a good one and it is well worth it far more so than Bikesafe:thumbsup:

17. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Get your own witty analagies! :stomp:

18. Rhino

Rhino 125 +

I have been on trips with "IAM" trained and tested riders and TBH most of them are pretentious suicide jockeys, after seeing how they ride i have rebuffed there advances to join there ranks, i think twice before agreeing to go on ride outs with any of them. :moon:

19. megawatt

EKAM based in Ashford seem to tell eveerybody they are pants and are (or were) desperate for you sign up for a course. I did mine with ESAM and my instructor wouldn't take petrol money and would only let me buy the coffees!

20. Rhino

Rhino 125 +

EKAM are pants:thumbsdown: