1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

[Oct 1, 2011] Indian Summer ride and lake picnic on Saturday - Abbots Wood (Sussex)

Discussion in 'General Rideouts' started by R1 Chickie, Sep 25, 2011.

1. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

2. Jim

Jim Race Rep +

hmmmm I wonder if Charlie is ready for a rideout like this?:)

3. Rhino

Rhino 125 +

I have been there many times and to quote an old saying don't believe everything you read:lol2:

4. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Sue & I may be up for this assuming her hands have healed enough for her to get on the bike. If not, we may well meet you there for a nosh :eat2:it all depends what the hospital say when the stitches come out. If that`s the case, I`m quite happy to transport the food down for everyone.

5. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

It's on a good road, though if the sun's out it might be a bit busy! I'm between sleep=ins on Saturday so likely to be knackered but may pop down to say hello - I go past it everyday!
    The council page you link to has a picture taken by my brother, btw.

6. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Dont just say something that vague numbty, if its crap and not worth the hassle then say so and I will see if I can find something better :p Or do you know anywhere better perchance?

7. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

8. paganuspaul

paganuspaul Off Roader +

Kearsney Abbey's a lovely place for a barbecue or picnic, depends what you're looking for?

9. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Whats Rhino on about then??? :)

I called the Forestry Commission and they gave me some alternatives that I can actually book the space instead: Alice Holt Forest, Abbotts Forest, Bear Forest and Friston. They are sending me the forms. Im happy to pay the booking charge if enough people are interested. We would have the space from 10-3 and we need to bring our own charcoal. Ill check these spots out in a bit but if anyone has any input now, shout!

10. Les

Les British Superbike +

I like a bbq as much as anyone but as they seem few & far between does it need to be a bbq venue? Oh, just remembered I'm away for a bit of off-roading so won't be around for a week...so will shut up. Good luck:)

11. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Thats ok, you can send your sons :p

12. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Actually, Im liking the look of Abbots wood, looks v pretty and less of a shlep

13. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

14. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Abbots wood is close to me, its a lovely spot. There are (last time i visited) static BBQ's built there near the car park are, but a 1/2 mile walk to the lake is well worth it for the view and we could take portable BBQ,s. I'm in if the weather is good.. :thumbsup:

15. Les

Les British Superbike +

If you get enough interest, find it's a good place & want to go back the weekend after (8 or 9th), I could take food/charcoal in the car & meet you all there, dependant on weather...(& Chickie keeping her wheels round of course). :)

16. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

weekend after Im canoeing and camping down the river Wye.

Sporty, the BBQ space I booked is closed to the picnic area apparently, you could book ones close to the childrens play area or close to the picnic area so I chose the latter. But the guy said you are only allowed to use the designated BBQ areas and arent allowed disposable ones in the forest.

17. Sporty1200

Sporty1200 British Superbike +

Hi Tanya, the picnic area is near the car park which is fine but imo the best spot is near the lake. Personally i would avoid the children's play area due to the noise (cant stand the shrieks n screams, apologies to all parents with kids under 10), and of cause this also protects them from any foul mouthed biker profanities and expletives, or i could always attempt to remain silent. :speechless:

Regarding rules and regs, and im really not the best person to take advice from here, but i have been by the lake cooking sossies on an open fire at 2am with a sound system and 100+ others before now. ''Oh i wasnt aware officer'' is always a good retort for failing to observe guidelines,,,, erm not that i would advocate such rebellious behaviour, :sneaky:

18. Les

Les British Superbike +

You been before? It's best there after heavy rain as I've been a few times to Symonds & it's v peaceful but a bit er...boring in 8" of almost still water. Good fun though when you fall in & upset the rowing clubs & the £300 :eek:per day fly fishermen.

19. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Stay on topic Les will ya?;) Great post this Tanya. Wish I could make it and hope the weather stays as hot at the weekend as it will be when I'm at Snetterton. Sadly , I'm on nights at the weekend, as usual.:mad:

20. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

I'll come provided not tipping it down, but so far looks good...presume bbq pits/grills are there ? I can bring some charcoal if need be :)...