1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Filtering Crash, watch your speed

Discussion in 'Main Forum' started by T.C, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Les

Les British Superbike +

Don't worry about the play on words. I think we all knew what you meant.;)

2. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Don't you mean Orificer..... Kev :giggle:

3. _Yappa_

_Yappa_ Official SECB representative down under. +

Just in a hindsight moment. 'Filtering' is illegal in Australia as it is actually overtaking. The reason why it is illegal is you are actually, majority of the time, overtaking inside the lane that the car is in, which is illegal. Here are some of the costs back home (roughly half to convert to GBP!):

These are the rules they can get you on if they so desire:
    Driving on a footpath, cycle track/lane, nature strip or traffic island $231 and 3 points
    Driving in an emergency lane (freeway) $179 and 2 points
    Driving on/over continuous edge line (any other road) $179 and 2 points
    Not giving change of direction signal either left or right $128 and 2 points
    Overtaking to the left of the vehicle $128 and 2 points
    Overtaking a vehicle too closely $231 and 3 points

4. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

So r u an ozzy yappa ?

5. _Yappa_

Lol yeah hoppielimp. What gave me away?? :oops:

Things are sooo much stricter at home. Love the freedom over here. The coppers don't even bother to try. Not even that, but on the whole car drivers are so much nicer to bikes over here. Back home it's notorious that drivers will open their car doors to hit bikers cause 'if they have to wait, you should too!'. We thought it was so nice of everyone to actually move for you when you are overtaking/filtering. Paris was amazing for that!

6. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

The French are much better with bikers than the Brits. Beware!!!

7. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

really you think it's good over here ? remind me never to bother with oz on a bike then.

8. _Yappa_

Oh we have country riding through the outback which is amazing. But police will still get you and fine you and crush your bike so it's a bit hit and miss. And wildlife is a real problem as farmers do not need, by law, fences, so sheep, cattle, wombats, wild pig, kangaroos and emus can be rather stressful. City riding is very strict. It's not a HUGE biker country as it's soooo hot even with just leathers on so it's hard to 'ride proper'. There is only one track per state which means track days are quite minimal.

Hubby lost his license as a copper did a 'speed test' and stated he was going 150km/hour on his first bike 250 ZZR, but he lost him when weaving through peak hour traffic over a bridge. Hubby fought it and took it to court as he had evidence from Kawasaki that the bike would've been hard stretched to those speeds even with a tail wind and downhill! He still lost as the judge said "the word of a police officer is taken as gospel". He was so deflated as he assumed the 'truth would just set him free' but they like to prove a point with bikers. :fume:

All that being said, can't wait to do some longer trips when we eventually head home. Country riding, mountain riding, desert riding, rainforest riding, SUNNY WEATHER riding......all in one country.....ah I hear home call....:p

9. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

Lol didn't find biking in Vic to tedious. Although filtering is illegal as long as you weren't being a t@!t the coppers left you alone. I filtered past many police on the Monash with no probs. they were really hot on new P platers though with big bike, so they would constantly stop all the sports bikes, especially on the Black Spur for license n rego check.
    As for the one track for track days, can't beat Philip island... Although only driven 'round....

10. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I think the UK is the best place to be a biker, Ive not seen or heard of anywhere except perhaps Germany where there is such a big biking fraternity and people generally are considerate of bikers. Thats just my experience anyway

11. Les

Les British Superbike +

Of the few places I've used a bike, I found France to be the best.

_Yappa_ likes this.
  12. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I love riding in France, especially Normandy. Took it steady , 90ish , on the motorways and had a lot of fun on their fantastic back roads, A roads with no traffic on em? Hardly any coppers or cameras in the countryside.
    http://youtu.be/S1AA-D7AYUI