1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

Rip Marco Simoncelli

Discussion in 'Racing related' started by r1jay, Oct 23, 2011.

1. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

2. RetryRider

RetryRider Commuter 500 +

No words can do this justice. I'm not a follower of MotoGP but he was one of the faces that I would recognise out of most Bike racers. Just seen it on YouTube and that was well...no words. We've definitely lost one of the icons of the future. RIP Marco. :worthy:

GixxerGilly likes this.
  3. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +

4. Phatboyslimming

Phatboyslimming Moped +

Super SIC58 RIP
    Awsome talent lost to a sport he & we all love!!
    As i understand He was one of the biggest personalitys in the paddock & will be deeply missed.
    Very sad but everyone that swings thier leg over a bike understands the risks :-(
    My faivorate quote from him was
    "if thiers enough room for your front wheel thiers enough room for the whole bike" and it's that spirit which made him so great :)

GixxerGilly likes this.
  5. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I have watched the *incident* and stil dont know why his lid came off pracically as he hit the ground - This is one of issues that will come out at inquest I assume . But still find it odd -- :-(

Also I think he lost the bike when BOTH wheels momenterilly (sp) hit white lines - just a shame Edwards and Rossi happemeded to be behind him - but these guys know the risks they take -- and thats why I admire them all so very much R.I.P Marco xx
    275429_100002014540339_1251790625_n.jpg

6. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

I know its difficult to tell from the camera angle but it *looks* like the helmet came off when Edwards ran into hit.

7. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

I am certain in the seconds that rossi made contact the lid was off. - I dont know who's lid he wears but they wil want to know why :-(

8. Panel Man

Panel Man Secret prototype +

Somebody's front wheel must have hit the helmet, surely, damaging it to the extent it came off. If that was the impact of Colin Edwards, then poor Valentino R may have actually delivered the fatal impact. It's all rather horrible. I've never seen a bike suddenly regain grip and turn much tighter like that: perhaps he'd scrubbed off 20mph or so and the tyre could again bite the tarmac, especially if Marco's weight was pretty much all hanging off or he'd all but fallen anyway.

9. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

Assuming it was the impact that caused it to come off, I wouldn`t expect ANY helmet strap to withstand a 130mph impact.

10. Phatboyslimming

Phatboyslimming Moped +

From wot i understand Marco (RIP) lost the front as he went in to hot & still trail braking nothing to do with white lines :eek: I cant bring myself to watch it again once was enough but it appears that Rossi`s front wheel made contact with the upper back forcing a direction change and also pushing his AGV TI-Tech helmet off :( also it seems it was the drag of his leathers that turned the bike inwards as He was such a determind racer he didnt let the bike go and had the cutch held in ready to continue :(

11. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

someone posted a slo-mo clip earlier and cant bloody find it now - but at one point BOTH his wheels weher on the white and next seconds he lost control. But whatever its over now :-(
    I am glad Edwards and Rossi are ok -ish.
    There was another clipp posted and the marshalls dropped both Marco and the stretcher ..... other staements that he died on impact - others that CPR was done for 45 mins . at the end of the day he will be missed in the paddock on the circuit and has changed fate of future champions - cos he was def in the running for future.

12. lammyR6

lammyR6 Moderator Staff Member Moderator + Site Supporter

I think speculating on the ifs, hows and whys is ok to a point but personally I would not want to watch the incident again knowing that it ended in his death, it had me in tears the first time. No deaths in GP since 2003 speaks volumes for how much the rider's safety means to the organisers, the racers and the teams. But at the end of the day it is a high risk sport and sadly at some point or another there will be tragedies. It had been such a long time however since there had been a death in GP that I just couldn't believe it was true, that someone had died. And someone like Simoncelli - full of life, young, making an impression on the track and in the paddock and with so much promise and character. It is a terrible loss for his family, the racing world and his fans and I think remembering him as he was alive is much nicer than just replaying in my mind his death.

Phatboyslimming likes this.
  13. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

Its the final race this weekend - today is Day of Champions - where the riders are all available to meet and greet their fans. Tomorrow is practice day --I think is Live on Eurosport - might be on Red Button too - Sat is Qualifying - and on Sunday RACE DAY - will be a minute of Noise - all bike classes will be on track and their is to be a minute of NOISE - where they will al be revving their bikes .

Marco Simoncelli's tragic death at Sepang has cast a very heavy and very dark pall over the MotoGP paddock, and two weeks of inaction - the one thing that racers cannot bear, along with just about everyone else in the paddock - meeting again at Valencia with the purpose of racing has given some direction again. The atmosphere is subdued, with journalists and team members holding quiet conversations everywhere, mostly on the subject of Marco Simoncelli, the crash in Sepang and their memories of the Italian.

The process of talking and the unfurling of tributes to the fallen Italian have been cathartic. His team has his bike in the pit box with the text "It has been an honor and a privilege to work with you" on a banner behind it, they also unfurled a banner above the media center with his number on it, the Ducati hospitality trucks have his number on them and the message "always in our hearts" and the number 58 is on stickers, badges and bikes everywhere. The activity, the discussions, the shared memories have started the process of healing the pain.

Loris Capirossi - his situation doubly difficult, as this is to be the final race of his 22-year career - spoke of how strange it was to be back in the paddock again. The Italian veteran announced he would be saying goodbye to MotoGP and to his friend Simoncelli in style, and will race with the #58 on his bike on Sunday. He is aiming to get the kind of result that Simoncelli would on his Honda, though that is perhaps more in hope than in expectation, given Capirossi's results this year.
    R.I.P Marco x

deano81 and Blade rr6 like this.
  14. GixxerGilly

GixxerGilly Moderator +

15. Blade rr6

Blade rr6 World Superbike +