1. You are currently not signed in. If you are already a registered user Please log in to get the full benefit from this site. If not, why not register and gain full access to our wonderful forums, view topics, make posts, and more! So if your not already a user, you can register by simply clicking the button to the right of this notice.

[Nov 13, 2011] Open Rideout Sunday 13/11/11 (TN22 1AR, England)

Discussion in 'General Rideouts' started by Roadwart, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Roadwart

Roadwart Administrator Staff Member Administrator +

When told about wearing tights under your kit, one lad said in all innocence "Do we cut a hole in the front so we can pee?" :rofl2:

2. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

According to our resident nurse, you shouldnt wear silk inners or tights for this reason: skin shearing. "Skin shear is an internal force caused when adjacent surfaces slide across each other, which results in twisting and tearing of the underlying blood vessels and leads to tissue ischemia and localized tissue death." So any potential for abrasion caused by another layer that creates friction between layers and skin.
    http://www.kci1.com/cs/Satellite?c=...&packedargs=locale=en_US&pagename=KCI1Wrapper

3. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

I absolutely cannot get the rest of my body warm if my toes and fingers are cold, if they are warm, I find it much easier to bare the rest of my body being coldish. And if my toes and fingers are cold, it also definitely affects my concentration because Im just thinking about how much pain they are in and how much its going to hurt when I get the gloves off and touch something solid :) Im on the eternal quest for the perfect winter gloves.

4. GuzziRob

GuzziRob Race Rep +

If I came off at a speed and a place that allowed me to slide down the road long enough to allow the surface to wear thru my gloves, I think that the possiblity of "skin shearing" would be a minor concern.
    Alternatively should we all ride naked?

5. hoppielimp

hoppielimp Fair Weather Rider +

thats a very scary image rob...:scary:

Roadwart and GuzziRob like this.
  6. deano81

deano81 Secret prototype +

:brr:and bloody chilly

7. Les

Les British Superbike +

Women...you need to let your body hair grow. Works for me.

8. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Are you married to a sasquatch? :D Im sorry, I am all for the aspirin look: small, white, hairless and smooth

HAYABUSADAVE and munkey_b0y like this.
  9. HAYABUSADAVE

HAYABUSADAVE Custom cruiser +

Hmmmmmmmmm......... :think2:

Def' kinky.......

10. Emma - 125cc Marauder

Emma - 125cc Marauder Off Roader +

Was an amazing rideout on sunday guys, loved it, thank you xxx

11. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Just on the skin sheering thing, reading further it states:

"Shear commonly occurs when patients are semi-recumbent in bed. The body begins to slide and, before the frictional force of the skin on the bedclothes is overcome, the internal parts of the body, such as the skeleton, move down the bed. As the skin does not move, there is a stretching or tearing of the blood vessles."

When impacting the black stuff at speed the frictional force is overcome immediately, thus you slide as oppposed to stop dead and look baffled. Skin sheering would seem to be the new PC term for bed sores, or rather hard core friction burns if you will.
    The effect of connecting flesh to road likely to manifest the same result, unless you have those industrial strength tights for holding bits in (least that's what the advert says they do :p).

12. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

Gettin back on the subject! Did your mates enjoy the rideout as well Emma?

13. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Im sorry, where exactly was it that you studied medicine again? :-P I think Im going to go with the woman who works in A&E and sees about 30 motorbike accidents a week on this issue.

14. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

It's not medicine, it's physics. The tensile strength of a piece of nylon is nowhere near high enough to withstand not only the impact force but neither the rolling / sliding / bouncing / dragging energy of coming off a bike.
    Tights tear by putting on shoes, poking your toe to hard at the end of them and sometimes even opening the packet (from what I've heard complained about) all you might have noticed require less kinetic energy than that involved in hitting a pavement at speed.

Just because someone has written an article, doesn't make it any more factual. Some years ago a scientist released amazing news that Bees couldn't fly, apparently no one told the Bees.

The overriding point does still stand though, that if you happen to have an off, suffering a few burst capillaries would be a small price to pay, don't you think? ;)

15. R1 Chickie

R1 Chickie Guest

Like I said, she sees 30 motorbikers a week in A&E and some of them have shearing. Nuff said. And as for tights, how do you know, it depends on the denier, I feel down the escalators at Oxford Circus once, all the way from the top so a bloody long way down and the only thing that wasnt ripped, was my tights!

16. Skortchio

Skortchio Caustic +

Falling off my bike many times wearing them, low speed drops with minimal slide. Went through my jeans / tights / skin every time.

The only situation I can see it might happen is if you have amazingly stretchy tights (impossible to tear off with teeth type ones) and you slid but didn't bounce, then they could wrap around I guess. But generally people seem to roll more than slide.
    That said my knowledge of tights is limited and I didn't wear posh brands :p

Silk on the other hand would twist, hence why it was used as defence against arrows ;)

Either way, if you have an off then a few friction burns are pretty much par for the course and the least thing you should be worrying about :thumbsup:

17. JimG

JimG British Superbike +

Why do you need defence against arrows? Oh sorry, I forgot, you're from Essex :bounce:

Skortchio likes this.
  18. megawatt

megawatt World Superbike +

I thought this was a rideout thread???

19. BlackHornet

BlackHornet Look before you turn Staff Member Moderator +

it was :D but now it,s changed :thumbsup:

the scarey thing is where ever the nusre R1 knows works must be a bloody dangerous place 1560 motorbike accident victims a year just on her shifts :eek: ( and that might just be the ones wearing tights, not sure if thats why the crash :rolleyes: ) :hah:

Gazza1 and Skortchio like this.
  20. Choco

Choco Commuter 500 +

Christ on a bike! I get busy for a few days, come back here and find not only a poll about body hair preferences, but also discover that the hardcore biker lads wear tights.

Not sure I'd want to wear tights underneath all the kit. Something with high denier maybe, and yeah silk is ideal, but why would I waste good silkies under bike gear that makes me look hideous?

Still, very impressed with the size of this ride out.